New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

It’s not indecent, on a discussion forum, to criticize and « crap on » a commercial product that is released in order to be sold and make money. In the same way nobody’s forcing me to buy it, my criticizing it is not forcing anyone not to buy or not to enjoy it.

Also, new fans, assuming they exist, won’t buy this. They’ll probably not buy anything, since people stream music now, and even if they do buy something, it won’t be an expensive box set of 3 obscure McCartney albums.

Cledwyn, Lewisboogie, DTK and 3 others like this.
  2. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

My thoughts from the main album thread, don’t know why we needed to start this one:

McCartney III could be one of anyone else’s best albums, but with a solo career like Paul’s it’s only mid level. I prefer RAM, BOTR, Memory Almost Full and Egypt Station. But I like it better than Flowers, Off the Ground and Driving Rain. Probably rate as well as Flaming Pie.

As a trilogy, to me, it seems it really works. Really works. I’m happy he did it.

3. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

I'm starting to think that this is only more obvious to the people coming at this issue objectively. Makes me wonder what's really the touchiness about...

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

ARK and jacden like this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's even worse to be the fool yourself!

5. UnderTheFloorboards'66

Okay, you just crossed the line! :realmad: ;)

6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Not really, I've done foolish things, actually, it can be a part of personal growth it was for me!

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

So do I, because as long as we're human we will do foolish things even if we don't realize it! How many times in life have we looked back and realize something we did was foolish?

8. UnderTheFloorboards'66

I know you're still calling me a fool, but whatever, I agree with the surface level sentiment. :righton:

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Getting back to the box-set, I can see having all this music in one collection appealing to many fans and those who will become fans. No searching necessary.
    The truth is we're all foolish on some level!

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Hey, I’m not, personally, interested in buying this, but I cannot see how anybody doesn’t think this release makes total sense. It collects the three albums in one package for people who may want to buy such a thing. Not everybody was around to buy them as they were released, you know…

11. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Sorry not sorry. To me it sucks. You are entitled to your opinion

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I just never had seen "putridity" used to describe dislike of an album before so it got me curious, I don't think I have ever immensely disliked any piece of music that much just personally lmao. To each their own though, like you said

supermd and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I generally agree, but also I don't really like the slipcase design. Really boring, as is the choice of clear, white and creamy white for the record colors. How about more interesting colors/patterns for the vinyl, and nice artwork for the slipcase cover? This is because I already own multiple versions of all three albums, so for me to re-buy them in a new box set , they would have to look much nicer IMHO. :wiggle:

applebonkerz, Darrin L. and supermd like this.
  14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

You are right about the right to criticize and I have no problem with that. I completely agree with you on this point.

I am just finding it interesting that some on here can't conceive that others might want it and for their own reasons. And since those reasons don't align with their own, they just come on here and trash. Not express opinion but trash (not necessarily meaning you personally doing this).

And what really bothers me about it the most is there ARE new fans on here saying they want to buy this to get at least one of the albums for the first time. For the first time! They want to get into Paul's music and they are looking at this release a chance to do that. And they have to comb through this thread and read all the dumping and it would be sad to see a potential new fan decide to walk away because of it.

I totally get the sentiment behind most of our thoughts here. I have all these. I simply don't need it. It is of no use to me. Fine. It's true. It is of no use to me at all.

But that doesn't mean others out there will have a different opinion and approach of this release. It seems some people on here can't seem to understand that.

15. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Is it likely that this is going to be a limited edition item to the official website as an exclusive?
    Or will it start to appear in the usual salesplaces soon?

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree. I think I’ve come to decide to pass on this release. I’d rather save the $70 to put towards a new Beatles or McCartney release.

As rumors of this release have floated around for a year or so, I’ve been hoping to get a number of unreleased items, whether that’s songs or mixes, with a new book of unseen photos. This is pretty barebones.

DK Pete and JeffreyB like this.
  17. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

Imagine thinking anyone cares what you think deserves a boxset

JDeanB likes this.
  18. UnderTheFloorboards'66

Bit rude...

wino14 likes this.
  19. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

Don't care it's a bit rude to crap up every thread about McCartney yet here you are. Telling people what they should and shouldn't buy with their money I would also say is a bit rude

20. UnderTheFloorboards'66

Realx man, it's not that big of a deal. We're all just sharing opinions. I'm sorry for not realizing how sensitive some people are on this forum (I thought we were all used to the snark at this point), but I'm glad you've demonstrated that to me. Have a nice day.

:tiphat:

wino14 and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  21. bward

bward Senior Member

I ordered the color vinyl Mc3 box yesterday

The Udiscover sale ends today. Code: summer2022 at check out. With discount and free shipping it’s about $25/album.

Not bad at all. And not overpriced.

Essential? Totally different question.

However, that Apple label on color vinyl looks sweet to me.

I get others don’t see it the same way.
    That’s fine.
    I thought the recent Lennon and Harrison vinyl releases were over the top and I skipped those. To each his/her own.

This doesn’t break the bank. And I know I’ll enjoy it. This is almost like the latest instalment in the color vinyl series, only with a slip box and colors unique to this edition.

Other big stars also have multiple versions of new releases. I suspect much of this has more to do with record labels trying to recoup their investments than “greedy old heartless Paul padding his bank account.” It’s where we are in 2022.

Anyway, just sharing some advice. I hope it helps someone else.

Pretty soon there will be another McCartney release with multiple editions we can argue about. So, we have that to look forward to.

Enjoy the day!

PS. Just noticed a thread about new color Metallica vinyl releases via Walmart.
    There are a couple of comments about cash grabs, but nothing anywhere near the intensity here in this McCartney discussion.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  22. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

23. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

This :frog:

Just imagine a 21st century teenager spending 100 quids for something like this. Can you? Come on..

Old completists will do it!

ARK and wino14 like this.
  24. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this deal.

25. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Not interested in 2 or 3, and I already have 1. I can understand the intentions behind this, but I would prefer they focused on remastering ‘Back to the Egg’, and ‘London Town’ before I die. From my perspective, this seems like a pointless and excessive waist of time and money.

wino14 likes this.