Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, it's odd for Disney to show 2 people kissing briefly.

Really outrageous stuff.

:rolleyes:

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The way I see it, it’s a character from Toy Story without being the actual character from Toy Story. Buzz Lightyear is a toy that people can, or have learned to, relate to. This Buzz Lightyear is simply the character that “our” Buzz was cloned from. It’s a movie within a movie. It’s meta. It’s like taking your favorite character and thrusting them into a different universe. Are you automatically supposed to want that? I don’t think so. They took a chance and it failed. It happens. There isn’t any more meaning behind it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault, ianuaditis and Jrr like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That was the only point I was trying to make. I agree you have to take chances sometimes, but why Disney would take that chance and definitely alienate some parents, and at the same time likely not gain any additional ticket sales by showing a same sex kissing scene, makes no sense to me. That was an obvious reaction from some folks, and countries.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that may be a reason for them to include such a scene. Maybe they are trying to answer that question. Who knows….it could have certainly driven more ticket sales. Interesting.

MikaelaArsenault and Dillydipper like this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The only thing that I can think of is that they have both the money and the clout that they no longer have to worry about alienating the “wrong” people. All they need to do is not alienate the “right” ones.

MikaelaArsenault and ianuaditis like this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’ve seen the trailer for Lightyear several times, and honestly, the robot cat is the only attraction for me. If I find myself with nothing else to do this week maybe I’ll see it (big maybe), but honestly it’s only for the cat. And I am a big Toy Story fan!

7. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

The leaked "Reimagine Tomorrow" video conference clips show that there are influential people at Disney with an agenda quite unrelated to making money.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

One has dinosaurs, the other doesn't!

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes they can...

LIGHTYEAR - PG
    2022, Comedy/Adventure, 1h 40m

77% - TOMATOMETER230 Reviews

86% -AUDIENCE SCORE1,000+ Verified Ratings

It's not the reviews!

And the "scene" is not the issue, the inclusion of the scene is what many parents do not approve of.

Parents are tired of this woke crap coming from Disney and they are no longer going to put up with it!

The media can say what they wish about the poor box office. The public has spoken!

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Top Gun Maverick still going very strong at the box office.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK $44M Weekend (Est.) 4,035 Screens / $10,904 Avg. Weekend 4 / -15% Change $466.16M Total (North America)

TOP GUN: MAVERICK $419M Overseas Total / 64 Markets $885M Global Total: TOP MARKETS: UK: $71.5M Japan: $42.8M Australia: $40.1M France: $34.5M Germany: $20.9M

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

But Jurassic World is a direct sequel to a popular franchise. Without question its going to draw people in just on that note. Spin-offs, however, are a bit more dubious. The Han Solo movie also struggled at the box office. Was kissing the reason behind that, too?

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looks like Lightyear will finish second behind Jurassic World with $51 million for the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The reasons why Lightyear underperformed? let the analysis begin.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/19/lig...film-nabs-51-million-in-domestic-opening.html

• Pixar’s “Lightyear” rocketed to a $51 million domestic opening, the best performance of an animated feature since the pandemic began.
    • Box office analysts had foreseen “Lightyear” bringing in between $70 million and $85 million domestically.
    • Internationally, the Disney film tallied $34.6 million in ticket sales, bringing its global haul to $85.6 million.

Expectations were high because the last two films in the Toy Story franchise both opened to more than $100 million in ticket sales, according to data from Comscore. “Toy Story 4” in 2019 topped $120 million in its domestic debut and “Toy Story 3″ generated more than $110 million during its opening 2010.

″’Lightyear” had a great deal of potential on paper, but a number of factors resulted in this very rare box office misfire for a Pixar release,” said Shawn Robbins, chief media analyst at BoxOffice.com.

It’s unclear if tough box office competition with Universal’s “Jurassic World: Dominion,” which generated $58.6 million over the weekend, and Paramount and Skydance’s “Top Gun: Maverick,” which secured another $44 million, was the reason for “Lightyear’s” smaller-than-expected opening or if consumers were confused about the film release.

After all, there has not been a theatrical release of a Pixar film since 2020′s “Onward.” The last three from the animation studio, “Soul,” “Luca” and “Turning Red,” were all released on streaming service Disney+.

“Did the film open in a market too crowded with male-driven films?” Robbins asked. “Was marketing ineffective at pitching the idea of this movie to both generations of Toy Story fans? Has Disney’s strategy of siphoning Pixar movies straight to streaming over the past two years backfired and hurt the brand’s value?”

“These are just some of the valid questions we, and especially Disney, have to consider,” he said.

Robbins noted that moviegoing has clearly rebounded in 2022, drawing in demographics that have been reticent to return previously. Yet, one of the most reliable franchises from pre-pandemic times missed expectations.

“This was a good old-fashioned summer holiday movie weekend that saw three films earning more than $40 million as the competition for the attention of moviegoers heats up,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Comscore. “Newcomer ‘Lightyear’ will now rely on a longer trajectory in theaters in the wake of a debut that has left some underwhelmed.”

Dergarabedian said word of mouth should help draw families to the theaters in the coming weeks ahead of the release of Universal’s “Minions: The Rise of Gru.”

Vidiot likes this.
  14. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

It's quite possible the numbers are lower for Lightyear may also be due to the age of the franchise. Frankly most kids who loved Toy Story (including mine) have outgrown it. I think they'll watch it on Disney + but given the choice they'll see something else in the theater especially considering the cost of going to the movies.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Imho, many people won't bother because in 45-50 days this will be on Disney+.

Doctor Strange 2 available on 06/22.

16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

The previews of Lightyear made it seem stupid anyway, but as soon as I read what one character was all about it really made me not wanna see it.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Ding ding....definitely a factor imo, no doubt Disney will crunch the data when it does get released on Disney +.

MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  18. If they kept the animation the same as Toy Story, I think it would have done much better. I, thru my daughter, have a deep affinity for Toy Story.

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Let's imagine a family with two kids. I don't know how much a US movie ticket is today, but depending on the place: parents and kids, fuel and concessions..about $50?

A yearly subscription to Disney+ is $80

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You’re leaving out the part about them having access to Disney+ for another 364 days for that extra $30.

Shawn and Deuce66 like this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Marvel Cinematic Universe films and TV series...Star Wars films and Star Wars TV series.. more Pixar animated films...

Shawn likes this.
  22. noname74

Yes, thanks for making my point for me.

Shawn, MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That goes without saying.

I pay for Disney+ solely for access to the MCU and Star Wars shows. Everything else I consider free content. So why take my family to see Lightyear when I know it will be available to stream by the time school starts this fall?

Shawn, MikaelaArsenault and noname74 like this.
  24. noname74

Exactly. That’s the rational explanation for it’s poor showing.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

and way earlier than Fall. If they follow the same Dr Strange route, Lightyear will be available late July/early August

MikaelaArsenault and Isaac K. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.