Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Proceed directly to the Space 12” single and crank it up!

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Ok sure. But you, and everyone else know what is meant by a ‘contractural’ release.

sparkmeister likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There is always someone that needs to prove how smart they are.

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I totally understand what you mean by "contractual," but I honestly think Prince used those words just to piss off Warner Brothers. Despite that description, Chaos and Disorder is still a solid, cohesive album.

Further evidence is that both his "contractual" albums are solid (C&D and The Vault: Old Friends For Sale). On both albums, the songs are perfectly picked to compliment each other. A song from one album wouldn't fit on the other. To me, that's because Prince still wanted to release good material, even if it was to fill a contract with Warner Brothers.

I could be wrong, but I kinda go with my gut on this one, as well as the documented history of the sessions and releases.

sparkmeister and daveidmarx like this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Picked up the TGE reissue, super cool to have a copy of this on LP! I am glad whatever legal mess that TMBGITW had going on got resolved for this to occur

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Any truth to the speculation that the disc is remastered?

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  7. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I Hate U was his last killer 12”

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

First of all I have always though that term ("contractual obigation") was bad, which is why I said that, I get what you mean, but I don't agree that it is correct. I've argued about this at lenght in threads before, so this is a bit tedious, but my point is that he worked on both the Come and The Gold Experience albums over time and tinkered with them in parallel, they were both important projects, and only when things turned sour with Warner did he decide that one of them was to be made out to be a "bad" and "old" Prince album and one was to be the "good" and "new" [​IMG] album. He made a musical around songs from mainly Come, so the songs must have meant something at some point. Same thing with (at least the songs on the first half of) Chaos And Disorder (which also was an album he worked on over time, but admittedly eventually finished rather quickly), he bothered to make a series of videos that worked together in a suite telling a story (way before the eventual release of the album), would he do that if he though it was all junk? The "contractual obligation" thing is totally something made up in retrospect by him to, as ad180 says, piss off Warner. If some fans think the albums are bad that has nothing to do with it, some fans think The Rainbow Children is bad and that was obviously a very important project at the time.

And what are you trying to prove? The opposite?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  9. HotelYorba101

The Gold Experience reissue? I hadn't heard of any remastering done to it if that is the one you are talking about, I think the only difference there (I believe) is the cardboard sleeve as opposed to the jewel case

10. Izozeles

The Mayte era videos were awesome. And a little bit hilarious too

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I love love love the 93-95 era. And some of the early, single-disc configurations of Emancipation.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The original version of Come is a better album than the released Come, for sure.
    It used to circulate. I can't tell you where to find it, obviously. Definitely seek it out for the original mix of "Endorphinmachine" which makes TGE mix sound neutered by comparison!!

EDIT: Well look at that, it's on YouTube.

13. CBackley

That original Come is fantastic.

Michael Macrone and ad180 like this.
  14. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Still dumbfounded that EXODUS didn't receive a US release. The estate needs to rectify that.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’ve probably said this a million times on this forum, but on some days I think Exodus is one of Prince’s best albums.

fuzzface likes this.
  16. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I f***ing love that remix. It's one of my favorite Prince tracks from the 90s.

Even the released version isn't bad. But anyone who isn't acquainted with just how convoluted The Artist's releases were during this period needs to at least skim Prince Vs Warner Brothers - The Fans Lost .

17. Izozeles

I love Come . What’s not to like about it ?

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

But it is also very similar to the released version, which I think is interesting in relation to the current discussion. The 19 March 1994 configuration (which isn't the very earliest*, but the one commonly circulated) that still had "Interactive", "Endorphin Machine" and "Strays Of The World" (so more Rock leaning) also had seven of the other songs in the exact same order that they would be on the released version (the stretch from "Space" to "Solo"), so I find it hard to imagine that this earlier version should have been still considered a proper and viable album project, and then by removing those three songs and adding "Letitgo" and the long version of the title track it was suddeny all throwaway.

(*I'm not sure if the earliest version from a year before [he fiddled with this album, that he supposedly didn't support, for a year and a half] is out there, which had the completely different "Come" and also "Dolphin" in probably a different mix, but that configuration still had five of those seven songs in the same sequence.)

Yes, those articles are great research (although highly opinionated) and also provide more evidence that none of this material was considered an obligation until late in the game when other factors had come into play. If he had been allowed to release all this stuff the way he wanted to, when it was new and fresh and he was into it, the narrative would have been very different (while the music would have been the same), but instead everything through this whole period came out with more than a year’s delay, and he was constantly over it and had moved on when it finally came out, which also added to this whole dismissive attitude.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Michael Macrone, CBackley and ad180 like this.
  19. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The best way to listen to this period of Prince in my opinion is to recreate The Dawn 3CD set as per this....

[​IMG]

20. HotelYorba101

It is a solid album for sure - and it has a really cool vibe to it. I always got sort of a "chilly late night driving in the city" feeling to it whenever I put it on

Michael Macrone and Izozeles like this.
  21. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Let's hope the estate has plans to release Prince's original Come to the public at some point. A re-release of Prince's Come on vinyl would also be welcome. It would be great if we could get a splatter edition.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  22. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

As long as you ignore the skits, segues and interludes. Horrible bloat. Even without them you have a 50+ minute album so that's already a fine running time.

KariK and CBackley like this.
  23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The Gold Experience has always been one of my go to Prince albums on vinyl. has always sounded amazing and is very strong musically.

I certainly didn't need the reissue, but couldn't help myself :D

this will be interesting - original vs RSD reissue

[​IMG]

Rocketdog, Izozeles, KariK and 3 others like this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Definitely one of the greatest bootlegs of all time. He had so much incredible material going at that time.

25. CBackley

Must…resist….making nasty joke….