JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Points to the same (fixed) 5.1, like Benefit no change to the mix. No need to listen for glitches. :)
    Hell yeah. :D

JulesRules and Plan9 like this.
  2. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

If it's a repress, it's the Wilson mix. (As stated in Burning Shed's description.)

3. servo086

servo086 Active Member

We're wondering if it wk be the Mew-less master.

JulesRules and Plan9 like this.
  4. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I did as well!!

GRompre68 likes this.
  5. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

If it's a repress, it's the Wilson mix. (As stated in Burning Shed's description.)

shadlet and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

The Wilson mix was mastered for the original 2012 box set by Peter Mew who added compression. The 2015 single CD reissue also had the Wilson mix but this time it was mastered without additional compression as intended by Wilson.
    So it is the 2015 reissue that we are hoping to get in this repress.

7. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

Ordered . So stoked .

Munger74, Sean and GRompre68 like this.
  8. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Maybe the new 2012 mix for the 50th will be as good/better as the 2015 mix? see above ⬆️

9. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Please stop posting if you don't have a clue....

ninjadave, granata, warp2600 and 9 others like this.
  10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I find the most useful part of the story the publication date.

Old Fred likes this.
  11. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I know this will be hard to believe, but I actually have all but one of the boxes and it doesn't bother me. Which is strange because I can be
    as OCD as they come. But I didn't buy the This Was box because I've never been a big fan of that album and I already have the two CD
    reissue (which admittedly I DID buy so as to complete my Tull collection). For what it's worth I also have the defective version of TAAB.
    Somehow I missed out on the replacement copies. Debating now whether to buy a new (good) one when it comes out.

12. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

So much for my "a surprise Mofi One-Step of Thick as a Brick for its 50th anniversary" birthday wish.

ausamerika likes this.
  13. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I’m turning 50 in September in case anyone wondered what to get me…

move been cluttering up every Till thread begging for a repress of the deluxe set, I stupidly snoozed on the last one and it’s been a big gaping hole in my collection ever since.

Any US links yet? Amazon? That free shipping is always appreciated.

14. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

15. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

YES. Very, very excited as when the original set was released, I was hard up for money and had to sell it for gas money... and have bought almost every one since and have never been able to find this set at a reasonable price used. I have the corrected DVD-V, but the original set has eluded me. Very happy this is being re-released and I hope to see a US Amazon link here soon.

16. servo086

servo086 Active Member

What's a "MoFi One-Step?"

And I asked earlier but if I have the HDTracks TAAB and burn a CD is there *any* reason to buy the 2015 official CD? I'm thinking of at least sticking it in my deluxe edition.

17. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

Isn’t one of the discs mixed in 5.1? If so, then there you go, unless you are using a 2.1 channel…or worse! I don’t think you can burn the 5.1 mix but maybe I’m wrong.

18. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Not worth in my opinion. But that's just me, I don't play CDs and bookset satisfies my desire to own physical product.

servo086 likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Steven's wonderful remix and arguably the best the original mix has ever sounded digitally via the flat transfer? Take my money, gladly

qtrules and Bonddm like this.
  20. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

Do Burning Shed charge when you make the order or when they ship?

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think it's important to be as clear as possible (in posting here, not necessarily in mixing and mastering!)

The original edition of this has:
    - a CD containing the Steven Wilson stereo remix, mastered by Peter Mew
    - a DVD containing 1. a flat transfer of the original stereo mix, 2. the Steven Wilson stereo remix, mastered by Peter Mew, and 3. the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, mastered by Peter Mew. The mastering of 2 and 3 were, shall we say, unfavourable to the material, and the 5.1 contained some oddities/issues.

Subsequently a replacement DVD was issued that contained 1, 2 and 4. the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, mastered other than by Peter Mew/unmastered.

Then subsequent to that, in 2015, a standalone CD was issued containing 5. the Steven Wilson stereo mix, mastered nicely other than by Peter Mew/unmastered.

A hi-res version of 5 is available to download. However there is nowhere I am aware of that contains 5 on DVD.

I hope, therefore, that the new reissue contains the equivalent of the 2015 Mew-less stereo remix CD and a DVD containing 1, 4 and 5. If we get a repeat of the replacement DVD with the Mewed stereo remix or, heaven forbid, the original, DVD...this is going to be disappointing.

23. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I'll certainly buy this one. I've been getting into Tull and already have a couple of these amazing reissues, and this is one of my favorite albums by them! I'm crossing my fingers that they get around to reissuing the others.

24. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

I tweeted Burning Shed to ask if it was the Peter Mew version. Will report back if I get a reply.

25. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I’m excited for this, but with shipping to the US the price is more than double (£28 to £59). Any chance there’ll be a US preorder? If not I’m going to get it anyway, I missed out on all book sets pre-Heavy Horses and I don’t feel like spending $300 for Minstrel In the Gallery, but I also don’t feel like spending $72 for a $34 set…

edit: ok after some finagling it came out to $47, I can live with that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    LordThanos1969 and Joe McKee like this.