Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

$50 only for the tickets? Wow! I thought there would be cheaper options. Here, in most places there are discounts for little kids, so parents can afford a trip to the theater without breaking the bank!

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Just going to leave this here for awhile before reopening the thread...

Excerpt from Forum Policies, Rules and Terms of Use

Unacceptable Topics
    • Sexually related discussions (including morality, acceptance and/or legalization of gay marriage, sexual preferences and LGBT issues).
    • Religion or religious references.

Deuce66, Vidiot, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened.

Deuce66, Vidiot, FredV and 2 others like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You said the "C" word here!

Concessions today will rip the fabric of your wallet. I can't believe what concessions cost today! Not just in movie theaters but EVERYWHERE!

I worked in a concession stand a couple if years back, when things were just reopening and tourists were chomping at the bit.

This was in the lobby of a live show. Because of reopening rules, we only had about half the normal audience.

Before the shows and during intermission, the concession stand was mobbed! And the prices!

unclefred and Deuce66 like this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I always hit up the stand for at least a soda when I go. It’s the only thing that keeps theaters in the black so I support them because I want a local cinema around.

Speedmaster, pjc1 and kouzie like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

That reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend's wife, some years ago.

We might agree that Michael Criton is an excellent author. He wrote The Andromeda Strain while he was still in medical school.

But remember this movie!

[​IMG]

When I commented on how "lackluster" the movie was, my friend's wife replied, "That movie is just about monkeys, JP is about dinosaurs!".

See how very true this is?

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Congo was truly horrible. And you find out that the intelligent apes have been killing men by pounding them with giant sticks, which is beyond bizarre.

Meanwhile, Elvis is getting mixed reviews...

‘Elvis’ Review: Baz Luhrmann’s Deliriously Awful Biopic
    Is ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ at 4,000 M.P.H.

Incurious yet frantic, Luhrmann’s spangly epic is off-key
    – and Austin Butler flounders in those blue suede shoes

Elvis review – Baz Luhrmann’s squeaky-clean King is shaking no one up

Yikes! I'll see it anyway, but this gives me pause...

rod, SandAndGlass and unclefred like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Still haven't seen it - might go today - but NOW if I understand correctly, "Lightyear" is supposed to be the 1990s movie that Andy from "Toy Story" liked and inspired him to get the toy.

I always thought Buzz was taken from a TV series, but I could be totally wrong about that. I never thought Buzz was a movie character, though.

Anyway, it's a strange concept: a movie that's supposed to resemble a 1995 movie that inspired a toy in another movie actually from 1995.

I can't help but think that the confusion over the basic idea hurt ticket sales.

brownie61 likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There seems to be a lot of confusion around Lightyear with many people thinking this is a Toy Story movie and it's not. Good discussion here around Disney + and their treatment of recent Pixar movies causing potential issues moving forward.

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Probably because there *was* a post Toy Story animated movie, and cartoon on the Disney Channel called Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, which *was* supposed to be the cartoon that the toy was based on.

The pilot movie even frames it as such, as the 3d animated toys of the Toy Story franchise are going to watch a VHS copy of the "Buzz Lightyear" movie.

I guess Lightyear is supposed to be... the in-universe reboot of the original Buzz Lightyear cartoon? Yeah it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Boom Operator likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That's disappointing but I can't say I'm surprised. To me Luhrmann didn't bode well for this project.

12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Here are a few raves from the Elvis movie thread that have my hopes up:

RSteven likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Every year, I buy the special popcorn buckets from the two theaters near me - the ones that you can bring back and get filled for around $5. Never go see a movie without one. The funny part is $5 is still a huge markup, but compared to the regular price it seems like a huge bargain. But like you, I want to support the business. There was even one near me that sold popcorn to go as fundraisers when they were closed for the pandemic & I bought it for movie watching at home.

SandAndGlass, pjc1 and unclefred like this.
  14. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Elvis 80% is very solid, but a 10% move either way, could make a huge difference in Box Office

15. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The TOP 10 of 2022 so far.

Rank/Release/Worldwide $$/Domestic $/Foreign $

1- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $943,155,698 /$405,333,340 43% /$537,822,358 57%
    2- Top Gun: Maverick $887,568,000 /$466,168,000 52.5% /$421,400,000 47.5%
    3- The Batman $770,345,583 /$369,345,583 47.9% /$401,000,000 52.1%
    4- Water Gate Bridge $626,571,280 /$117,294 <0.1% /$626,453,986 100%
    5- Jurassic World: Dominion $623,287,690 /$249,796,690 40.1% /$373,491,000 59.9%
    6- Uncharted $401,517,726 /$148,417,726 37% /$253,100,000 63%
    7- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore $401,069,682 /$95,769,682 23.9% /$305,300,000 76.1%
    8- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 $399,778,000 /$190,478,000 47.6% /$209,300,000 52.4%
    9- The Bad Guys $237,360,005 /$94,239,005 39.7% /$143,121,000 60.3%
    10- Too Cool to Kill $217,254,604 /$185,882 <0.1% /$217,068,722 99.9%

17. SandAndGlass

I have my $5 refill bucket!

mmars982 likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It really is confusing.

Saw "Lightyear" today and found it moderately entertaining but not especially vivid. It' offers 104 minutes of decent entertainment but it lacks the "fun factor" of that Buzz animated movie from 2000.

It never really feels like a movie from 1995. It feels like a Pixar stab at a space-based action movie and not something with a lot of verisimilitude.

It's perfectly watchable but not memorable.

jbmcb and brownie61 like this.
  19. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Disney has been p@ssing off religious groups since at least the 80s. Always shouts of "boycott". Yet the same people always capitulate and buy more Disney stuff. Hilarious.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

We've already bought out tickets for one of the 10PM showings later on in the week. I loved the trailer and hope the Elvis movie does well.

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The family movie of 2022?? I think I've flown on this airline :D.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Excellent. I'll be waiting for your thoughts.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Certainly similar thinking kept me from seeing The Irishman in theatres a couple of years ago.

25. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Very true. Big studio’s (Disney for example) demand a big percentage of the sold ticket price (sometimes up to 65%).

A theather can’t live off those numbers. Concessions is the only way to make some money.

Deuce66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.