Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Listened to Pandora's Box for the first time and... it's just okay.

I expected something more. Perhaps more unreleased content and alternate versions of tracks. I think Neil may have spoiled me.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

In addition, it also omits the non-charting singles S.O.S. (Too Bad) and Get It Up.

3. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

That's kinda the thing with boxed sets for me--especially when I was young, when this set in question was released, and the only way to get sets was to put them on my Christmas list, but even then, the value was not always there.

Someone who is a big enough fan of a band to want a four-disc boxed set is already gonna have all the regularly released material. And most average boxed sets, at least half of it (and that's on the more generous side) is stuff from the regular albums. The more realistic number is 3 out of 4 discs' worth of material is just more of an anthology of the career/era, and about a discs' worth or rarities (often times a lot of demos/outtakes, which is not super appealing most of the time).

So boxed sets were a rarity for me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Indeed. We already had Gems and other compilations, they could've at least made this more of an Archives Box Set than Compilation+Bonuses. The Beach Boys have done a bunch of great archival releases over the past few years. "Sunshine Tomorrow" was mindblowing, they did good too with "Wake the World" and "I Can Hear Music". Now with "Feel Flows" and "Sounds of Summer" extended, they have again outdone themselves.

A lot of people criticize the sound, but I'm just glad they are releasing it all. Even if it's just something slightly different like "Party: Uncovered and Unplugged".

JSKC and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I would love to see a Singles comp. Aerosmith's Greatest Hits is pretty close as it uses several single edits, but I prefer the studio only "Train Kept A Rollin'" and the single edits for "Dream On", "You See Me Crying", "Back in the Saddle" etc. Are interesting/curios for fans and completists.

jstger6969, Matthew Tate and munjeet like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Is that yours? If so.....:yikes::yikes:

Matthew Tate and Purple Jim like this.
  8. Rose River Bear

A little too much duplication. :agree:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Check out who penned this review from the band's 1975 Philly Spectrum show...

[​IMG]

10. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Verrrry interestingk...!!

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. Rose River Bear

Wow. Thanks for posting that. I did not know he reviewed that show.
    That was a great concert. IIRC it was a dance concert. I was about 30-40 feet from the stage. Ted Nugent was really loud. REO was very good and I was really impressed by Gary Richrath.
    "Same chord progressions".......what a joke.

12. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

It's kind of weirdly fascinating that a decade after writing such a vicious review, he was chosen to be Aerosmith's A&R man. I wonder if Aerosmith remembered this review by then (assuming they had ever been aware of it).

13. Rose River Bear

I agree. I find it hard to believe that he was at the same concert I was.
    I just read on Wiki that he also got involved with REO and Nugent.

Mark7 likes this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

He didn't think much of any of them!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Purple Jim likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

17. JSKC

JSKC Forum Resident

I started following this thread around Permanent Vacation. I’ve got to admit you have pulled me in. I can’t stop listening to them. I really look forward to reading the new posts every day. I’m now going back and reading and listening from the beginning. rose-river-bear thank you and all of the contributors for all that you have written. I’m learning a lot and having a blast!

18. Rose River Bear

That's great! Plenty more to go and don't hesitate to comment on any of the reviews before PV.
    BTW, you Sly avatar is awesome. What a band they were.
    I would love to do a Sly and the FS album by album thread.

19. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

The bar for box sets has been raised in the last 15 years or so - agree re the inevitable duplication, but at the time of release, Pandora’s Box did feel (to me) like it had lots of unheard stuff to get into.

20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Never knew this existed, I didn't have MTV until 92.......In 90 my TV was running off of a roof mounted antenna. Think it got about 10 channels with a good picture....

On that TV rig I saw that Stones Steel Wheels tour broadcast with 3D glasses...nice picture..
    Saw very little other music programming, but did see a lot of baseball games.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    SuperiorCynic, Matthew Tate and JSKC like this.
  21. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Same here. I’ve really enjoyed this thread.
    I’ve been listening to Aerosmith heavily these past weeks. Just bought the Pump vinyl yesterday since I only had the cd. Glad I did since the vinyl’s drum sound doesn’t come as much on your face as the cd’s does. The same goes for PV.
    I even ordered the Nine Lives 2lp. It’s Aerosmith summer!

JSKC, Mark7 and Gus Tomato like this.
  22. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

:wantsome::wantsome::wantsome::wantsome::wantsome:
    An absolute gem of trivia … my mind is officially blown …
    :yikes:
    I guess it makes sense he didn’t rate 70s Aerosmith as he clearly was very comfortable enforcing changes on them.

I’ll have some more comments on Kalodner when we get to what he considers his magnum opus … Get A Grip

:wantsome:

JSKC, Alf Panek, munjeet and 3 others like this.
  23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm curious if with Pump and PV, you got original pressings. I think in the US they could be had at reasonable prices... By the time 9 lives came out I'm guessing LP pressing weren't many if any. Guessing that ones a more recent tissue.

24. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

Pandora Box.

Those kind of boxes are a mess. As a "pick what you want" thing for fans that's pretty good though. I listen to Pandora's Bbox as double album of rarities, one focused on studio songs, one on live cuts (good companion to Live Bootleg)/.

My two cents on RIAHP & DWM (sorry i'm late) :

RIAHP : Sounds like Aerosmith, sounds fine. In fact it's better than i thought it would be. Yet in the end i don't care much for that album.
    DWM : The "jamming-sleazy" sound à la Stones is totally gone, replaced by a clean metal influenced sound, just like Van Halen (which i like). I don't think it was a good thing. The songs are promising but feel rushed and treated indiferently, like they didn't work much on it, which might be the case.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Better late than never whilst we wait for GaG

Agree re the sound of DWM completely- although I like songs, more or less. With a Jack Douglas-style production, they could have been really great.

Matthew Tate likes this.