Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring - Craft 45 rpm LP, and SoTA digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Swordsandchains, Apr 5, 2022.

1. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Okay, I'll bite. I have had the 45 for a couple of weeks, and I like it better than I first did. No vinyl issues. Some small distortion issues with cymbal taps on second track of side 1, unfortunately not unusual on my system.

The 24/192 was around $15 on HDtracks, so I bought it to get the bonus tracks. I played it first on my computer system (Bifrost DAC, Magni 3 amp, HD 600), and it sounded very good. I actually enjoyed listening to the entire bonus track version more than the shorter LP.

I later did a limited A/B on my main system, with Oppo 205 as DAC, Asgard 3 , HD 6xx. Though I could tell the two versions apart, mainly via the drum sound and a little more air on the 45, they really weren't that different. In fact, I had a small preference for the piano sound on the digital. I will not say that the digital is more life-like, as Jamie hoped, but it's good.

2. rashers

rashers Forum Resident

I have had this album on CD for many years and loved it. I have a German first pressing (Warner Bros) and - despite it costing $50 and looking pristine - the vinyl is full of pops and crackles. The new Craft (Kevin Gray) has superior dynamics, a better soundstage, better timing and transients. Perhaps mastered a little loud.
    I like the gatefold sleeve (the original is textured and the colors are different). I hate the cheap creased plastic inner sleeves - tossed them immediately and replaced with mofi style inners. I really really don’t like the Craft label and catalog number - it just cheapens the experience (maybe it is a licensing issue as originally on Warners - not a Concord label). Nevertheless - certainly for those of us in Europe who have to pay exorbitant prices for AP and Mofi 2 x 45rpm - a tremendous quality product at a reasonable (€40) price. Please Concord - do he same for Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby.

Ariel Aditya, Simon A, JoFr and 2 others like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Of course he did

kt66brooklyn, teag and Tullman like this.
  4. zackswax

zackswax Well-Known Member

Is anyone having issues with distortion on cymbal passages on this record? Rest of the record sounds good, but this whole thing was cut very hot in my opinion. Maybe it's my system... but it's a bit distracting.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think it’s cut THAT hot. It’s a fairly quiet album with a few very dynamic peaks, so those peaks are somewhat hot by necessity. But even those aren’t “super” hot.

I did some quick comparisons between the vinyl and hi-rez digital - and tonally and dynamically they sound very similar to me. The cymbal passages I listened to sounded pretty much the same.

kt66brooklyn and this_machine like this.
  6. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

See my post three above yours. The answer is yes.

7. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

Was the distortion in SideA Cut2 present in your playback of the 192/24? As for them sounding similar, I know Paul and Kevin would likely honor Al's choices and the difference between the mastering of the digital vs the flat master are minimal.

8. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I think the statistical likelihood is that he would. Same with those classic series releases. A lot of people are vocal about bad copies, but I bet it still makes up a minority of what people are receiving. I generally always get perfect copies of records people on here are consistently complaining about. It is very rare for me to get a noisy, warped, off center, non fill, etc. copy of any album pressed by the 5 or 6 main companies pressing audiophile records

marcb likes this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It sounds fantastic to me

Zafu and Simon A like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the new SACD to the SHM-SACD? I have the SHM-SACD and would buy the new SACD if it's a better sounding version.

Simon A and jamiehowarth like this.
  11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts Thread Starter

sacd isnt out until July 15

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

No. I have issues with a handful of LPs that are cut a bit hot for high-output MM cartridges like my 2M Black. 98%+ of my LPs have no such problems.

In this case, I think that Kevin maybe overdid it a little with all the room that he had available cutting at 45. I have plenty of jazz records that Kevin cut at 33 that don't have any of those issues.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

He didn’t overdo it. The peaks are maybe a couple of dB hotter than the average record, but there a plenty of records cut even hotter. However it does have some very dynamic moments and those are apparently a challenge for some rigs.

If he had cut it any quieter, folks would complaining even more about surface noise - even on quieter copies.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed. If he cut it lower it would have been a rice crispies fest.

FashionBoy likes this.
  15. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

There is an arpeggio ending on C above high C in "Gary's Theme" that's really really hot, but isn't limited at all, and it really kicks.

DangerousKitchen, marcb and AnalogJ like this.
  16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

More and more taken with this record with each spin. It's beautiful.

Zafu and AnalogJ like this.
  17. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

sadly in the UK its more like £53 (US$65) puts this vinyl out of reach

this_machine likes this.
  18. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

He also didn't say anything about the distortion on Blues Walk BNC. In fact, I've never heard him say anything about defects in any of his videos.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for a flat press. I'm on number 7.

RiRiIII and CBackley like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wow! I gave up

21. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

As long as it's on Amazon's dime, Ill return forevor or until they disable my account.

Zafu and CBackley like this.
  22. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Impossible are all dished (concave on side and convex on the other).
    This is how RTI work...

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They got the idea from this:

CBackley and struttincool like this.
  24. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

All copies I have received have an edge warp on one or both disc's. It's not impossible

25. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

OK, the seventh copy from Amazon is acceptable. I had to clean it 4 times to get rid of the noise on disc one. It does sound good though so I guess it was worth it.

RiRiIII and CBackley like this.