The Move

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phillyal1, Jul 6, 2019.

1. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Can anyone also tell me what's exclusive stuff on Salvo disc of Shazam? I want to list it for sale since i have 2 CD set by Esoteric.

Also what's the alternate mono mixes of Move LP songs? Can anyone give Discogs link?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. FireBrigade

FireBrigade Forum Resident

It's available here, though naturally in Japanese, so there's a lot of pretty rough translations - but it was enough to be able to discern all of the various versions across the Repertoire/Salvo/Esoteric discs:

ザ・ムーヴ・コンプリート・コレクション 1966-1970

hallucalation likes this.
  3. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

hallucalation and FireBrigade like this.
  4. FireBrigade

FireBrigade Forum Resident

The Salvo disc of 'Shazam' no longer has any exclusive material, as the Esoteric 2CD has them all - unless you count the fake/duophonic-style stereo 'mixes' of Blackberry Way and Curly, which aren't very helpful or necessary, but if you like them then it might be worth keeping...!

The 1998 Repertoire "Move" CD (*not* the 1992 Repertoire, only the '98) has a large selection of extras, including a alternate mono version of 'Cherry Blossom Clinic,' being session audio where the vocals are being overdubbed live onto the mono mix (there's talking at the beginning, and during the song the vocals are much more pronounced and louder than the music behind it). It also has what is now called the 'undubbed version' of Disturbance (missing some guitar overdubs), the Carl vocal 'Fire Brigade,' and a mono mix of the instrumental 'Second Class' featuring Roy and Trevor (this was later recorded by Roy as part of the 'Rock Medley' on Boulders). It also has a bunch of single-only B-sides from the period, and the disc concludes with all seven on the original 1968 stereo mixes for the album's songs. Those latter seven don't seem to be included in this new Japanese box, so if you're a total completist for the mixes, definitely recommend this one!

The Move - The Move

The 1998 Repertoire "Looking On" (again, only the '98 version) has a bunch of extra tracks, all of which look to be included here, but one track ("Curly Where's Your Girlie") is an alternate mono mix of Curly which was made for/broadcast on the BBC (therefore, it's in the Esoteric Shazam and this new Japan box - but probably sourced from a transcription disc instead of the actual tape?) - as well as 'Wild Tiger Woman Blues' which is an alternate mono mix. I believe this mix was also made for BBC use, as even though the song was famously banned by the BBC, the song was played on the air several times - a live session in September 1968 (this is in the Esoteric Shazam) and a supposed 'live' recording in October, which from a bootleg source seems to be identical to this alternate mix.

The Move - Looking On

Not sure why Repertoire (and Westside, in their own Move 30th anniversary box) decided to retitle those two songs just for these different mixes...! However, former Move/ELO archivist Rob Caiger has said that many of these tapes went missing after being given to Westside in 1998 for their box, which is why items such as the Carl vocal 'Fire Brigade' have never been on Salvo, Esoteric or any other release since then, unfortunately. Hopefully whatever new adjustment this Japanese set does improves the current conditions!

Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing...!

chickendinna, tages, Jon H. and 4 others like this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I love The Move, but they were "of their time," and I don't believe they could ever be recreated on anything approaching the level of their original period.

Revolver likes this.
  6. hallucalation

With all wrong translation tracklist looks to me like a complete mess. I do hope that some of the lossy tracks that were uploaded on Salvo/Move site during reissue program in late 00s will be included as fully lossless.
    Also would be useful to see which track comes from which release on new box set. I do have only 2016 deluxes and Salvo's Anthology 4 CD set now..

EMI/Harvest stuff is now owns by Warner. They are diffucult to license.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  7. hallucalation

Actually i now remember why i decided to keep physical copy of Shazam single disc from Salvo. Exclusive stereo remix of Something. Fake stereo Curly is on both of Esoteric and Salvo (Esoteric should had keep actual real stereo Something and delete Caiger crappy fake stereo of Curly as they did with Blackberry Way). That CD going for sale now...

FireBrigade and TheLoveDrags like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Lynnwood

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. hallucalation

Following bonus tracks were put online during Salvo digital campaigh. Black is still exclusive stuff that remains lossy:

Night of fear (vocal session) > prev unr online bonustrack Move 07 remaster
    I can hear the grass grow (session mono mix) > prev unr online bonustrack Move 07 remaster - released on Anthology 66-72 box
    Fire brigade (early undubbed mix) > prev unr online bonustrack Anthology 08 - same track as on old Movement/Repertoire CD
    Cherry Blossom Clinic (Vocal overdub mix) - same track as on old Movement/Repertoire CD
    The price of love (take 1 backing track) > prev unr online bonustrack Move 07 remaster
    Wild tiger woman blues (take 1) > prev unr online bonustrack Shazam remaster 07
    Omnibus (alternate mix) > prev unr online bonustrack Shazam remaster 07
    Il torrente (Something italian version) > prev unr online bonustrack Anthology 08 - Repertoire "Looking On" CD has it.

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Italian "Something" is also on a 1999 Repertoire singles compilation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

I thought ELO was a genuine Wood-Lynne-Bevan affair, but I guess the ELO lineup changes post-Wood were not to Wood's liking, I guess.

When ELO, without Wood, released their version of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" on their second album in early 1973, and as a single that March, Wood's new band, Wizzard, responded with a song of their own called "Bend Over Beethoven."

Maybe this is why there won't be another Move reunion?

~Ben

12. hallucalation

Wild tiger woman blues (take 1) > prev unr online bonustrack Shazam remaster 07 - sounds very simular to alternate mix from Repertoire's "Looking On" but some differences in double tracking between each other and longer fade.
    I believe that's a set of alternate mixes prepared for BBC. Those are not comes from Transcription Discs (as they lack DJ intros) and came from label's tape stash. Same with alternate Curly.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  13. Mover

Mover Forum Resident

Anyone care to spill any beans on this BBC set?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  14. hallucalation

1967-1970, pre-Jeff Lynne stuff. Transcriptions and off-air stuff. All new transfers from BBC discs, not Esoteric recycling.

15. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I received an email this morning from CD Japan saying The Move Complete Collection has been postponed with no new release date given.

We are sending you this email to let you know that we just received
    an update from the label informing us that the release of the item
    below will be postponed, unfortunately.

The Move Complete Collection 1966-1970 [Limited Release] The Move CD Album

No details about the reason has been provided.

At this time, there is no indication to show whether or not it might
    be released at a later time in the future.

Therefore, it needed to be cancelled from your order.

Chemically altered likes this.
  16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Not gonna happen. Too many egos and bad blood.

Fred1 likes this.
  17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Bummer.

Sidewinder43 and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

As long as let they let Roy produce and only bring in Jeff when it's time for him to sing or play something ( unless of course Jeff is merely hiding that he knows how to produce a sound in the studio which doesn't immediately channel ELO) Would he?

20. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I was so much looking forward to this box,but fortunately I have the Salvo box,the Esoteric sets and the "Live at the Fillmore" CD.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  21. hallucalation

Then why you were waiting for it? It's just recycling of the same stuff in same package.

22. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I prefer them to ELO.
    Flowers in the Rain is a great summer of love single.
    Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited is a trip.
    Turkish Tram Conductor Blues is wonderfully heavy.
    Great band.
    The deluxe CD of Shazam has some lovely extras.

CoachD and Sidewinder43 like this.
  23. I could see Roy and Jeff possibly working together, but Jeff's relative lack of involvement with any of the previous Move reissue campaigns suggests it's never been a priority for him - don't forget that he only ever joined with the sole purpose of helping meet contractual obligations and help launch ELO. Where the real problem might be is getting Jeff to share a room with Bev, not to mention that Roy also had a serious falling out when Bev committed to that 50th anniversary tour with Trevor as the only other original member. Unfortunately, Trevor has been in ill health for the last few years, Roy long wrote Ace off as a liability, and we don't have Carl or even Rick Price around these days. (Bill Hunt would probably pick up the phone, yet I can't imagine anyone bothering to call him.) Much like with ELO, there are more than enough key figures still around to make fans very happy with some new variation that could easily pass as the latest legitimate line-up, though you'd have to navigate far too many roadblocks for it to likely ever happen. At this point, with Bev part of Quill, Roy only resurfacing once a year to play a few dates around the holidays and Jeff appearing to wind down activity, is there the necessary drive? For better or worse, archival releases might be the only future left, although that well seems to be rapidly drying up.

24. jothoma

jothoma Forum Resident

I actually got into CT because of my love on The Move. I read in multiple places how much Rick Neilson's songwriting was influenced by Roy Wood that I had to check them out. I can definitely hear it on the first three albums at least. The bridges of most CT songs are constructed in a very Move-esque way in their early years.

MielR and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  25. JasonParis

JasonParis Forum Resident

I be very surprised if the new set included the 1968 stereo mixes of ‘Kilroy Was Here’, ‘Mist On A Monday Morning’ and ‘Fire Brigade’ which, to the best of my knowledge, only ever appeared on the stereo ‘Move’ LP (although the first two made it to 1974’s ‘Best Of The Move’ LP, but not its CD counterpart).

If you’ve never heard these 1968 stereo mixes, I invite you to pop on your headphones and check my needledrop.

Burningfool likes this.