The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

BIG TIME

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You guys are overlooking the most heinous crime of them all: uncle-cide.

ARK, wavethatflag, KCWhistle and 9 others like this.
  3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

But not the Monkey Man.

ARK, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I do know a woman on Twitter who loves the song specifically because of that line.

wavethatflag, trd and bzfgt like this.
  5. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Just don't admit that you enjoyed listening to it.

6. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

Two stones killed by one bird.

uzn007, mBen989, MHam and 2 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I love that Pick, big ballsy bass an’ all. That whole run is spectacular—they should re-do the Pick and release the lot in a box.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The version of The Other One is terrific. I was listening while working and not in the sweet spot for stereo imaging, so the bass issues weren't as annoying in that context.

9. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

Ah, I had that shirt once upon a time. Here is a photo from a hill overlooking SF around 2000.
    [​IMG]

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although through some quirk of fate, Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell sang that before the Dead.

bzfgt, Bananas&blow, trd and 2 others like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I love the Cold Rain & Snow on there too

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

[​IMG]

ARK, WaterLemon, wavethatflag and 9 others like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Dave’s Picks #34 — Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami, FL, 23/06/74.

[​IMG]

“This is not … repeat … this is not an alert—this is only a test”

1974 is so f u c k i n g great—an astounding year; and this is one of my all-time favourite Picks. Dave really answered my prayers after I posted a couple years back asking why this hadn’t had an official release!

This whole 1st set (and show, for that matter) has a unique, dream-like mellow “vibe” about it—opening with a swingin’, buoyant Ramble On Rose (quite the rarity, one of only four times this song was played as a show opener); there’s a real lengthy Black-Throated Wind featuring some exceptional band interplay, with a standout performance from Billy; Phil informs the crowd of some technical difficulties due to the close proximity of the Bermuda Triangle, “You know, this sort of thing gobbles electronics” … then a relatively short and laid-back, but nonetheless excellent Mississippi Half-Step with Jerry’s beautiful guitars ringing out during the euphoric outro; a slightly brisk Row Jimmy settles into a playful, almost skittish-like groove; a jazzy Jack Straw is a full ensemble piece with everyone on their game—a picture-perfect rendition; “Can’t stop the train we got to let it roll on” … a boomin’, tightly-rockin’ Let It Rock(!!!) which was the first and only time this one was played live by the Dead—it’s a good time-boogie number, I’m not sure why didn’t they play it more often, though Jerry did take it over to JGB; a double dose of cosmic and psychedelic country rockers—an electrifying Cumberland Blues gets down to cookin’, and is insanely wild—it’s real juicy and twangy, teetering on the brink of going completely off-the-rails—it almost sounds akin to The Band/Dylanesque circa ‘66 style; following, is a smokin’ El Paso that is played so fast it threatens to derail—midway through you hear Bobby say, “Easy, boys” in an attempt to cool the jets; now it’s time to chill … a sweet and soothing, utterly gorgeous, sparkling all-timer level performance of To Lay Me Down with Jerry’s passionate, fluid solo is a real tear-jerker; another truly beautiful, jaw-dropping Weather Report Suite with one of the purest, most intricate Prelude(s) I’ve heard, before a slow and jazzy build to a fiercely powerful Let It Grow; and then yet another exceptional June ‘74 China Doll (what’s that, three in a week?), which is achingly tender—a delicate and emotional 1st set-closer. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Between sets there is the first Seastones—I suppose you’ve gotta be in the mood for it? I quite dig the experimental and abrasive nature of this inventive, electronic/a piece. I imagine this was divisive amongst the crowds—half would have had their minds blown, whilst the other half drew WTF reactions.

[​IMG]

The Seastones interlude must have tapped into something superlunary, opening a portal between worlds and summoning celestial forces down to Miami, as the 2nd set opens with an otherworldly, quite heartbreaking Jam > Ship Of Fools, which is so exquisitely heavenly and sublime, it is spine-tingling—a pretty unique duo, and probably my all-time favourite version; between “ballads” there’s an absolutely rollicking ride down Big River—hold on tight in case you go overboard; following that, there’s a real-touching and heartfelt Black Peter that bleeds raw emotion, with a soul-stirring solo from Jerry, it concludes with a exceptionally bluesy outro jam—a tremendous performance all round, here; trust the GoGD to surprise and drop Around And Around bang in-between a dark and plaintive ballad, and the epic 2nd set jam sequence/centrepiece, but it works—with everyone wigging-out and getting their rocks off, almost resetting themselves for what’s coming next; then we head for the meat of the set—listen out for the amazing transitions during one of the all-time great, incredible mind-blowing Dead sequences—a free-flowing and dreamy Dark Star Jam with no lyrics, is pure space-jazz exploration, that blissfully drifts way out there into the ether—definitely a nod to electric Miles; a searing Spanish Jam is an absolute stunner—an intense and dazzling, slow-building, marching Mariachi-like jazz jam with fuzzed-up and rattling, foundation-shaking Phil-bombs aplenty, before seamlessly jamming and transitioning into; a jaw-dropping, head-turning and surprising U.S. Blues … wait, what just happened?! I’ve never heard them do anything like this before … “We’re all confused/what’s to lose?” … whoa, damn! that intro is big swinging dick energy and gets the blood pumping—one of the best ever versions, this is a beast so vicious it will rip your head clean off; a sweet and mellow Uncle John’s Band features a sublime, jazzy-tinged mid-jam and outro that crashes into; a smooth-rollin’ One More Saturday Night that gains traction culminating in a stompin’ climax; before a thrilling Casey Jones barn burner encore to finish the show! Phenomenal.

Just exactly perfect. This band never cease to amaze—they continue to blow my mind and steal my face right off my head.

“But it’s the real thing nonetheless”

I: Ramble On Rose, Black-Throated Wind, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Beat It On Down The Line, Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Let It Rock, Cumberland Blues, El Paso, To Lay Me Down, Weather Report Suite > China Doll.

Seastones.

II: Jam > Ship Of Fools, Big River, Black Peter, Around And Around, Dark Star Jam > Spanish Jam > U.S. Blues, Uncle John’s Band, One More Saturday Night.

E: Casey Jones.

[​IMG]
    1974/2020 Grateful Dead Records – R2 607314

As if that wasn’t enough, also on this Pick are selections from the night before at Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami, FL, 22/06/74.
    • Playing In The Band — an exploratory 29-minute PITB; this is jazzy and gloriously jammy, constantly intriguing and always interesting—a superb version;
    • China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider — fairly relaxed, melodic and groovin’—this is yet another stellar ‘74 China > Rider, featuring an unhurried, effortlessly cool transition that is just breathtaking;
    • Eyes Of The World > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia — a truly blissful Eyes has some sublime jamming that drifts out into space before landing; (whoa, that intro—it ebbs and flows, and it’s so damn gorgeous) on a stunningly beautiful, smooth-as-silk Wharf Rat—wow, talk about a unique transition; which then segues into a quietly propulsive, gently (not quite balls-out) rockin’ Sugar Magnolia.
    An awesome Bonus Disc of highlights, though the whole show is certainly worthy of a listen.

I: Promised Land > Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told, Deal, Me And Bobby McGee, Scarlet Begonias, Jack Straw, Loose Lucy, Mexicali Blues, Sugaree, The Race Is On, It Must Have Been The Roses, Playing In The Band*.

II: China Cat Sunflower* > I Know You Rider*, Me And My Uncle, Ship Of Fools, El Paso, Eyes Of The World* > Wharf Rat* > Sugar Magnolia*.

E: Johnny B. Goode.

*on DaP’s #34 Bonus Disc.

[​IMG]
    1974/2020 Grateful Dead Records – R2 607316

Ray29, mgb70, Mad Dog and 20 others like this.
  14. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

I missed out on this one. What was the controversy that many mention ?

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jeff Norman tried something in the studio to boost Phil's presence in the recording and it came out... poorly.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Jeffrey Norman tried a new technique to boost the bass as apparently it was a bit low compared to usual on the source tapes. The problem is that it sounded to some of us a bit like an octave divider. To my ears, it sounded like two different bass players playing the same baseline in different octaves from somewhat different locations in the sound stage. Others liked the bass increase and either didn't notice or didn't have a problem that issue. Things got heated here at times, more than usual around here. I meant to refer to it obliquely only because of that, but I figure that this is a pretty anodyne description of the issue for folks like you who weren't around these parts back then.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[​IMG]

ARK, jgrillo, Gary C and 8 others like this.
  18. US Blues

Bingo!

ARK, trd and MorningDew like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Understatement of the year. It also bleeds into some of Keith's lines in his lower register.
    What's a baseline? :nyah: Is there chalk involved?

It sounds like an octave doubler to me. I've got a pedal (that technology was not available in 1972) that can basically reproduce the very sound (never used it other than to discover how much I disliked it; it's an ancillary feature on a digital delay that I do use). I've also listened to the SBDs on Relisten and it's not there, although one SBD has some boomy bass going on that I can't quite figure out.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've never listened to the soundboard on relisten, but I guess that's the baseline, if I'd actually meant it in the way typed. Nothing similar is apparent on 8/21/72 or 8/27/72, the two closest in time shows that I've listened to a lot.

But I've been working a lot on advising on a state law that involves comparisons against a baseline, hence my stupid error.

KCWhistle, KeninDC, Eyes74 and 3 others like this.
  21. Archtop

Yeah, but there's always the possibility that Phil had some new-fangled gadget that no one knew about and he used it for one gig on 8/25/72, so I was sure to check out the SBDs that Jeffrey Norman didn't use to be sure it wasn't there before I lobbed the grenade back in the day. I'm 98% sure it isn't; but one gives me pause (transfer by Jay Ashley), but I don't know how recent that upload is.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Spinning my old '80s LP with the 1971 mix of Aoxomoxoa, the only mix I'd ever heard until about 10 or so years ago, so it's what I'm by far most used to hearing. What's Become of the Baby is a lot less interesting in this version, but for the other tracks, there are pluses and minuses of each mix for me, particularly since the 1971 mix is so ingrained.

LandHorses, KCWhistle, adamos and 5 others like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This demonstrates why you're a scientist and I'm a law-talking guy.

mBen989, KCWhistle, trd and 1 other person like this.
  24. US Blues

There's a CM SBD of that show.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  25. Archtop

Yeah, I listened to that first. Duh. Aren't you watching hockey?

US Blues likes this.