Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I still have the original Pecko Led Zep IV I bought for $1 in 1994.

uzn007, Sean, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Shenandoah's The Road Not Taken goes for big bucks on vinyl, the same with Clint Black's Killin' Time.

ChrisInKansas and JDE1982 like this.
  3. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Most of the millions it sold were on cassette or CD though. Vinyl was definitely getting phased out by 1988.
    You can't find a cheap copy of Hysteria or Appetite For Destruction from that era either, and both of those sold 10 million! Same with million-sellers from the Cure or Queensryche or Janet Jackson or many others. Even something that doesn't appeal to Zoomers at all, like Don Henley's End Of The Innocence, is usually $35 or more now.
    The only "bargains" from that era seem to be Richard Marx LPs and, weirdly, Sting's Nothing Like The Sun, which sounds fantastic and is still super cheap.

4. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

A NM copy of Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol 1 & 2 can go for $50 these days. Bought a sealed copy in 2011 for $4...

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Tiffany and Debbie Gibson's albums have gone up in value on original vinyl along with other teen idols from that time period.

Sean and hi_watt like this.
  6. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Pretty much any common 60s-70s rock LPs that I could get for $5 three years ago are now all over $10, even with obvious condition issues. Condition is becoming less and less important to many shops as the demand increases unfortunately.

Fender Relic and Cronverc like this.
  7. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

Damn I think I have a Stranger somewhere, I need to check whether it's an RL!

There are a few shops like that around me--run by younger people, big online presence, prices are pretty much the going rates (i.e. not cheap). And they do good business. But my favorite shop is run by an older guy, and although he and his younger staff do use Discogs to price things, they seem to usually aim for the low end of the range, rather than the median or high end, like a lot of shops. They rarely price common records above $20 or $25, unless they're super in-demand.

ted321, hi_watt and caravan70 like this.
  8. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I swear I see someone post about scoring this album for big money every time I visit the vinyl subreddit. I don't get it, I saw an $8 copy of it at an antique mall not that long ago. It's a fine album but on its way to becoming an overinflated "grail".

piepants and caravan70 like this.
  9. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah this is a strange one to me too. But I think the big-money prices are the reality at this point--no seller who knows what they're doing is going to sell it for less than $40 if in decent shape. I think the $8 copy you saw was an anomaly.

10. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

The 80s metal has been pricey for this whole revival. I actually sold off some of mine that was just worth too much to keep. Few titles Id like to have, were they not super $$. Princess Pang on Metal Blade comes to mind….Riverdogs on Sony.

Queezma and hi_watt like this.
  11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Lots of 80s extreme metal. It's not too easy to find a nice OPs of Reign In Blood by Slayer or ones from Obituary.

Even hair metal like Winger has shot up.

Sean, RelayerNJ, Ingres3225 and 2 others like this.
  12. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Used prices are just ridiculous period.

zongo, Wil1972, Boomy and 3 others like this.
  13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Sade's Promise and Diamond Life has gone up significantly in price. I remember seeing them for $5-$8 at the minimum and it's now going for $20 or more everywhere I went.

14. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

a lot of collectable stuff has really jumped....I was pricing some things the other day.....Woodstock Box, Europe 72 box, Skydog vinyls, Hendrix white label promo Jackson Frank Wood Box, Scorcese Hendrix Blues on blue vinyl........I may have to put them up for sale...hope not....but the prices are pretty high....at least I know I'll get some $ if I do sell....

15. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

I've run into a bad spell of groove-worn records recently. Since it's a hidden defect, it's almost impossible to decipher which records will have it.

Recently bought a UK '67 mono copy of The Who Sell Out and it has an inexplicable high-pitched squeal during half of Side A and throughout a big chunk of Side B. I've never even heard a defect like that. Bought it off an acquaintance in England. The cost to ship for a return would be more than I paid for it, so it's just going in the "loss" column.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to buy an immaculate jacket for The Who Sell Out, PM me...

cwitt1980 likes this.
  16. Mark Richardson

Mark Richardson Forum Resident

One surprise is how quickly recent reissues can go up in price. I have quite a few I bought for $20 or less in the 2010s—Ride, Bill Evans, Willie Nelson—that are worth $100 now. What’s clear with recent reissues is that supply often doesn’t meet demand. A title will sell out and become very expensive immediately. Example from two years ago is the Big Star reissues—I bought Radio City and then returned copies twice because they were badly warped. Didn’t buy again because I was frustrated by quality, now those records go for like $70.

Hammerhead likes this.
  17. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

Was there at NR in Matthews last week while on vacation. Two years of YouTube videos piqued my interest. Enjoyed having the store to myself as it was a Monday. Grabbed some things I don’t really see way up here in Western NY in addition to some new reissues I wanted.

18. BizarroWorld

BizarroWorld Active Member

Went to a “flea market” that specializes in vinyl over the weekend then to a record shop. I saw original pressings of Purple Rain in the same condition with the poster for $15, $25, $35 and $50. There’s no rhyme of reason to any of it.

A used copy of the recent pressing of Pixies’ Doolittle was $30. It’s $23 on Amazon.

It’s wild out there.

19. Sparks' Angst in my pants

20. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I really need to learn to grade vinyl...

Beyond Salvation and Memobook like this.
  21. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Tears For Fear "Big Chair" and George Michael "Faith", also oddly Billy Joel GH 1&2 commanding $40-80 in top shape, It's been odd as a fly on the wall in records stores, the creep across the board on NM copies of even common titles have tripled or more in just a year or 2 even on commons. Supply and demand and the decreasing number of well kept copies spells it all out though.

MGM and hi_watt like this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yep, $40 minimum for Tracy.

My Aja copies, both AB-1006, are up to $75 each for M- condition. Nice, I guess.

misteranderson and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  23. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

Vintage Grateful Dead albums really shot up in price when I wasn’t looking.

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Pretty much anything you still hear on the radio. I think it's odd since I figured most people didn't really listen to the radio anymore. From what I see it's that end of boomer generation and older X generation along with their kids that remember all those songs they heard over and over and over and over (and over). Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Tears For Fears, Wham, Hall and Oates, etc. The 80's are definitely in. However, it's probably not too hard to score pop/rock from the 60's that aren't the Stones, Beatles, Who, or Kinks unless you're dealing with an old guy's shop.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Here’s one: Why the ef do Black Sabbath records cost 3-4 times as much (or more) as others of similar vintage?? Even more recent pressings.