Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Steely Dan was basically in the dollar bins with Barbra and Fogelberg. Now they are $20!

jgrillo, BrentB, agundy and 4 others like this.
  2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I saw a green label Vol.4 at VG+ for the album, with a VG cover, recently in a shop for $60. To me it seemed like a lot.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  3. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Actually that seems reasonable compared to what I see. $100 plus for unremarkable pressings.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

If by radio, you mean "stations on an FM dial with commercials," then correct. No one's listening to that.
    But if you expand radio to include satellite radio--where you have a choice of hundreds of stations fine-tuned to your particular interest--and also throw in Spotify and Apple playlists that do the same thing.... Then WAY more people are listening to the radio than ever before.

And it's not hard to see someone listening to an 80s station on satellite radio and getting exposed to New Order or Echo & The Bunnymen or the Smiths or any number of bands that didn't get much play on American radio in the actual decade.... which is driving the prices of those records even higher. Same with the hair-metal stations and so on.

5. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

And I say good luck finding playable Steely Dan records for 20 bucks. More like $40-50 or more. It really is getting ridiculous.

6. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I’m seriously considering how to sell a collection.

7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Because Sabbath is still extremely cool and Grand Funk Railroad is.... Not??

I mean, why does a Herb Alpert album from 1967 go for $1.50 and the Velvet Underground debut from the same year go for 200 times as much? It's a mystery!

8. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

September 2019 I got an original Aja for $11.99 in NM- condition I’d say. Not that long ago at all. Pandemic did weird things to some titles.

c-eling and hi_watt like this.
  9. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

This replies in this thread are really pushing the point home of how vinyl is priced in different markets. In my region you can get regular Sabbath stuff for $20-30CAD. Steely Dan is still $5-10 CAD, maybe $15CAD in NM shape.

Queezma, hi_watt and TwiceFan like this.
  10. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

All this goes on while the clatter of CD cases landing on driveways in garage sales and shelves in thrift stores for fifty cents to two dollars rolls on......

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Can you provide a link to a retailer selling Steely Dan for $5?

TwiceFan likes this.
  12. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Online retailer selling $5 records? Why would they bother? I see records like Gaucho all the time in my local store. Over in the bargain bins for $5-8CAD. I sold a NM Aja a couple weeks ago for $10CAD on Craigslist. It sat for weeks and weeks. There is a NM Aja right now on Marketplace for $15CAD and the listing is months old

13. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Wasn’t comparing Sabbath records to Grand Funk records but to other similarly cool bands: Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.

14. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Some really inflated ones I’ve noticed people paying in stores or at shows for…

Anita Baker - Rapture $40-$50. Like the cited Tracy Chapman S/T, a once common $7 buck title.

Soundtrack- Saturday Night Fever $75 at a store in Orlando. Twenty something male was the purchaser.

Soundtrack - Grease $40 at the Orlando Record Show the next morning. The young gal didn’t bat an eyelash at the cost.

All the Billy Joel titles have suddenly risen into the $20 or more level area. I need to flip all my $3 Stranger & Glass Houses dupes!

My favorite though is a copy of Donny Hathaway’s In Performance LP for $100 my local shop had for sale. When I asked why it was so high, the clerk snottily said ‘because it’s rare.” I couldn’t help myself and replied “while his earlier live album is, this one wouldn’t be worth a hundred if it fell out the window with Donny.” Poor taste I know but I guess they got the last laugh on me because someone bought it.

15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Moody Blues are still uncool. You can get their records easily for under $5.

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I knew that Tracy Chapman record was special years ago. It's amazingly well produced and stands the test of time.

17. dude

dude Senior Member

Still WAY more people listening to FM than satellite.

18. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Some record store owners think anything Beatles related is high dollar. I see absolutely beaten up copies of Beatles albums on sale for $20 plus. Albums aren’t worth $1, much less $20.

19. davers

davers Forum Resident

Do you mean new wave cassettes (e.g. the recent spike for Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love"), or are new age cassettes also hot now?

20. NasuTek

NasuTek Doktor Kettu

This is strange. People seem to hoard even totally unlistenable albums, as long it is original. Makes one wonder if these so called collectors listen to their records at all.

Chew, ledsox and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

At least they are keeping the unlistenable one's out of the market.

22. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Rumours has risen from ~10€ album to an easy 20€ during 2 last years.
    Sparks' 70s albums like Propaganda, Kimono my House, Indiscreet used to be 6-8€, now easily 15€. Not to mention Angst in my Pants which I bought for 14€ or so a year ago.

c-eling likes this.
  23. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Every other YouTube video about vinyl mentions this one as being an amazing sounding album and hifi demo disc. Obviously all the kids want it so they can bask in the analog warmth of vinyl on their £70 Crosleys.

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Digital-->Analog :winkgrin:
    The old compact sounds great as well.
    If you're looking at it from an art/design aspect some may be paying those prices for that alone.
    Anita Baker-Rapture, my local had it for dirt cheap. I love the cover on that one also so I picked it up, but mainly listen to the old CD.

PH416156 likes this.
  25. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I meant new age. For example, cassettes on the Valley of the Sun label, which specialized in "healing" music, often with subliminal messages and stuff, is super collectible on Discogs. A lot of those sound bath / align your chakra-type things with flutes and bells go for stupid money, and many are being reissued. Lots of Japanese stuff, too. There was a big Enya piece on Pitchfork not long ago. Of course, as with anything, there are still releases no one will touch, but as we've seen from this thread, that could change any time. Put John Tesh or Zamfir on some "chillout" playlist, or feature one of their tunes in a popular Netflix show, and I bet you'd see a spike in his sales on the secondhand market.

ARK, rain_king and davers like this.