Ortofon OM30 to 2M Bronze Change?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrSnoid, Jun 20, 2022.

1. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member Thread Starter

In a few months I am looking at a stylus/cartridge change. My current current cartridge is an Ortofon OM30 (with the original non-super cartridge) on a Thorens TD160 (not modified) table. I run this through a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2, a Rotel amp to Wharfsdale Linton speakers. I am very happy with this current lineup and if nothing else will just change out the OM 30 stylus with the same.

But before I go this route I am interested in what others who may have had a similar setup that changed or upgraded to the Ortofon 2M Bronze have to say about that experience. Is this a reasonable upgrade path?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Andrew

2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It’s not an upgrade. A lateral move at best. It’s the exact same stylus tip between these two. I’d plug a 40 stylus into your current OM body for a better stylus than either, for less money.

I had a 2M Bronze and did not like it. I have a Pro S with the 40 stylus, which is essentially an OM in a different mount. It’s a much better tracker than the 2M Bronze, and sounded smoother, with more micro-detail.

3. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

Hi, I agree that it would be a lateral move, in addition the Thorens arm is a medium Eff Mass & depending of Head-shell could be a high Eff Mass. Both Ort cartridges need a low Eff mass arm so neither are really suitable.

Cheers

PineBark and MrSnoid like this.
  4. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

OM30 to 2M Bronze may look like a lateral move on paper (both with nude fine-line styli) but the internals of their bodies are different, so they will sound quite different. Their electrical properties are not the same plus the Bronze body is supposedly enhanced over the Blue/Red body and therefore over the standard OM body. In addition, the 2M Bronze stylus is a tad less compliant than the OM30 stylus (22 vs 25), which will make it a better match to the stock medium-mass TP16 arm of the TD160 (effective-mass 16.5g), but this small difference is only a minor consideration.

I don't have the 2M Bronze but have the OM30 (both standard and Super bodies) and also have experience of the 2M Red and Blue. I think you should find the 2M Bronze more open than the OM30. The 2M cartridges tend to be brighter than their OM counterparts. Something of note about the OM cartridges is their strong bass (at least with the 20 and 30 styli) and you may find the 2M to be lighter in this department.

Another possibility is to stay with an OM but move to the 'enhanced' Super-OM body. Again, the Super is brighter than the standard body but is more explicit with detail. It would be a cheaper experiment to pick up a Super-OM body (buy a Super-OM5E, Super-OM10 or a used Super body) to try with your 30 stylus than to buy a whole new 2M Bronze.

5. MrSnoid

Thanks all for the responses thus far, very helpful. @Crab33 thanks for reminding of the OM40 option good advice.

6. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

McLover likes this.
  7. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

What kind of sound are you longing for, or in other words, is lacking in the sound of the current OM 30? The main difference between the OM series and 2M, to my ears at least, is that the OM does sound more subtle and refined. In case you want something different, more dynamic, exiting and in a way vivid, try the Nagaoka MP 110 and higher.

8. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

It wasn't actually me who suggested the 40 stylus. This stylus has the FG70 profile - I had the 540 MkII with the same profile but found it rather clinical sounding. Regarding the above two responses...

Despite the OM styli and TP16 arm not being ideal matches, the OM cartridges do work very well on medium-mass arms. You have been happy using such a combination, so already know this.

The Nagaoka cartridges are not a bad suggestion, especially in terms of matching, although I personally prefer the sound of the OM cartridges. I would describe the 2M cartridges as having a vivid sound. Going back to the OM cartridges, I have found the 20 stylus to be more exciting than the 30 - the 20 is crisper and more open, while the 30 is more refined.

shirleyujest likes this.
  9. Now I'm going to get the OM20. I have the OM30&40 and really enjoy them. The OM's are used on an old Concorde and a OMP10.

Crab33 likes this.
  10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

TT Lab has an open box OM30 for $275. Wondering if it's got some wear on it. Have you tried the Analogis/EVG nude elliptical on the OM before? I've got one and it sounds pretty nice for $35. Does it sound as good as an OM20? No clue. My ebay guy seems to be out of them but Mr Stylus has them overseas. Prob $60 or so with shipping. Replacement Stylus, ANALOGIS, BLACK DIAMOND Ortofon Stylus 5e/10/20/30/40 | analogis BLACK DIAMOND

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The 2M bodies are known as having a much higher output than OM. They rate at 5.5mv but have often measured much higher! In comparison with an OM, that would make the 2M a much "hotter" cartridge and might challenge some phono preamps.

kmusic likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd just put another Stylus 30 on it. That was just the standard for that arm when it was new, if you had the funds. The OM10 was the poor man's version. The Super OM cartridge bodies offer perhaps a bit more refinement.
    -Bill

Shak Cohen and Curiosity like this.
  13. MrSnoid

14. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

In my experience, the Super-OM body is brighter and exposes more high-frequency detail, and in this sense works well with the 30 stylus in presenting the information uncovered by the fine-line stylus, but I wouldn't say the Super is more refined. The plain OM body sounds more refined to me as the treble isn't as forward, affording more delicacy and generally a more easy-going sound.

15. MrSnoid

Going to stick with the OM30…I really like the sound and after all that is what counts. I am thinking seriously of getting a Super OM10 and changing to my already broken in stylus just to listen to the difference.

thanks @Crab33 for your positive input!

Andrew

Shak Cohen and Curiosity like this.
  16. Dadawada

Dadawada Forum Resident

I have a Pro-Ject 6 Perspex SB with a Ortofon Bronze and just ordered the Tube Box DS2. Should be listening next weekend through a Marantz SR6015 driving Definitive Technology 9040s.

17. MrSnoid

Nice…let us know your o’pine after you listen for a bit :thumbsup:

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

2M bonze is not better than OM30 if as good. If you want better OM40., but I do not see the OM40 for sale at Ortofon site. An Ortofon Black is also better than 2M bronze or OM40, but Black 22 compliance is a little low for your tonearm. Your tonearm is so light few cartridges match up.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  19. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have them both. I like them both.

The OM30 is my preferred sound.

Measures flatter too.

Curiosity likes this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Curiosity likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- you own MKI or MKII? Both have very different tone arms described here.

Dave, it looks like the MKI was manufactured from 1972 to 1976 and the MKII was manufactured from 1976 to 1984. The MKI's TP16 tonearm has an effective mass of 16.5g, while it looks like Thorens lightened up the TP16 arm of the MKII version to 7.5g in order to allow it to better accept the high compliance cartridges which were in vogue during that time.

22. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

If we're talking technical terms, Stylus 40 has a more advanced shape than Black.

snorker likes this.
  23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Well as far as 2M’s go I’m dumping my black…going back to my soundsmith…it’s just to revealing, harsh in a way..over exaggerates any pressing issues no matter how slight…but that’s just my experience…

matrix-6 likes this.
  24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I feel that way about the KAB ProS40 / OM40 at times, but on pristine vinyl it is stunningly good. It is better than my Bronze, AT-VM95ML, and MP-200. I never picked up the Black. but from what I’ve heard about it, I’d keep it around for cleaner pressings.

Soundslave likes this.
  25. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I went Nagaoka mp 500 recently….