Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Great series, and the final moments gave us the scene that I had been waiting for.

Lownote30, PhoffiFozz and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Awesome show ! I loved it !!it’s basically Episode 3.5 with probably some of the best moments I have been waiting a long time to see !! :)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Ok so I liked Kenobi much better than Boba Fett.

The Boba Fett show had some cool fights but the story and characters were pretty weak, especially Boba's gang of kids.

Kenobi was mostly good but some things were a bit ridiculous, like when that snowspeeder was just floating stationary during that battle on that airstrip thing. I thought Leia was good but Luke seemed a little uncharacteristic of himself.

As a millennial, I am a huge prequels fan, especially episode 3, so this show was right up my alley. The prequel throwbacks were some of the best parts to me really. I thought the dialogue was more prequel-esque than other post-buyout SW, and not in a bad way.

I thought that Vader and Kenobi's final showdown in the series was like Empire Strikes Back Vader fighting Revenge of the Sith Obi Wan. Crazy satisfying fight.

Keith V and MikeJedi like this.
  4. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

What a steaming pile this was...totally unnecessary. A laughfest from start to finish.

Ohhhh...that finale..20 minutes of dress rehearsal lightsaber fights in the dark.
    Oh wait...that was the final product ? Gotta love those Star Destroyer test shots too...YouTube fan films have 10 times better effects work.

If this was Disney's idea of a tribute to a main character...you are in for some real treats when they get around to the lesser fare.

Scott222C likes this.
  5. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

It's interesting how with it Leia is, while her twin brother is basically dimwitted, exhibiting zero signs of exhibiting the force. I mean, Leia was a source of inspiration where Kenobi was able to dig out from all the boulders he's buried under, and it carried him far enough so that he again was afforded the opportunity of not finishing off Anakin.

So is Inquisitor #3 going to get anymore screen time? I like the actress, but that story arc fizzled.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

Absolutely delightful; this was Star Wars through and through. Yeah, that includes the hokey stuff. This had all the great moments I was looking for, particularly right at the very end. I'd watch S2 of Obi-wan just walking the earth desert, like Jules in Pulp Fiction Cain in Kung-Fu.

My only beef is that as fantastic as the final Kenobi/Vader confrontation is, it was almost a little too close to the big Ahsoka/Vader confrontation from S3 of Rebels. And yet it's somehow fitting; the only ones who can best Vader in combat are his former master, his former student, and his son.

I thought the payoff brought it home:
    She lifted the lightsaber, presumably to finish the job, and it all became clear why she wasn't a particularly good Sith. Best thing she could do now is disappear, or perhaps the Empire will take care of that for her. I do like the redemption factor of it all (it's like poetry; it rhymes) but she knows too much. Loose ends, etc.

I did find it interesting how she basically got the Kylo Ren treatment in this final episode; think Force Awakens after he took a bowcaster to the gut and it slowed him down; same issue here with her injury.

PhoffiFozz and omikron like this.
  7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That duel was what I’ve wanted to see since I was a little kid.

8. BeatleJWOL

It was like that fan-made Episode IV duel remake but, you know, better.

PhoffiFozz, HotblackDesiato and SRC like this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Right. This and Rogue One are how the sequels (and prequels) should have been. The voice switching back and forth was brilliant.

10. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I finished this one, unlike Boba Fett. Do we really need two consecutive series which could be subtitled "How <insert name> Got His Groove Back"?

My main issues are how the show can be restricted one minute by the films and then introduce something which thoughtlessly disregards previous plot points. For example:

Vader grabs a spaceship out of the air and begins dismantling it. While I don't remember seeing anyone use this power until episode 9, it creates some major plot issues in, I don't know, the trench run in Episode 4 where Vader has to use his guns an his fighter to take out the X-Wings. Why doesn't he just steer them into the trench walls?

Inconsistency also plays into the episode - minutes apart. Vader sets Kenobi ablaze, then uses the force to put the fire out. Kenobi's partner restarts the fire and Vader watches helplessly as the robot walks over and picks him up. What, you can't put the fire out again?

And the last battle - are we to understand Kenobi
    takes the exact same inaction which he took several years ago, the same inaction which led to the death of everything he stood for? Jedis are allowed to kill, right? If Mace Windu had the chance, he would've taken the emperor out. Yoda would've taken Count Chocula out. He's a Sith lord - please finish what you started if your goal is to protect the galaxy.

I've read some speculation online for why Leia's hologram in Episode 4 (which only mentions Bail Organa) does not contradict the events of this series. I don't buy what they're selling, though. Including Leia... just felt lazy. and a bit on the fanfic side. Not to mention the appeasement of Hollywood's four quadrant model - "how do we get younger girls involved?" You already have Vader, please expand the universe just a little and come up with a different plot instead of a triple scoop of nostalgia.

There were things I liked about it - once Obi Wan got going there were some good action scenes in it, and Ewan McGregor did the best Obi-Wan he could do with the script. Reva had issues but her character arc was fun to watch, though predictable at the end. I'll take my angry nerd hat off now. Wait, there's a Thor movie on the horizon? Grrr...

kouzie likes this.
  11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

The entire Obi-Wan series was as dumb as nuts, but the last episode especially so. I'll wait until I'm comfortable a few more of you have seen it before I share my extremely well-considered critique :)

vegafleet likes this.
  12. gabacabriel

Agree about those Star Destroyer VFX shots - looked like a badly textured lo-res mock-up.

The lightsaber smackdown was a let down as well - yes, I know that Hayden Christensen isn't David Prowse, but his physicality during the fight was completely at odds with the established character.

But worse still - those PLOT-HOLES!!!!!

13. gabacabriel

Quite apart from the fact that the saber blow misses all major organs, wouldn't the shock that you were stabbed with a white-hot cattle prodder not just kill you instantly?

Assuming it didn't cause all your internal organs to bubble, boil and explode, that is.

14. simonux

simonux Custom Title

But... the Force...?

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

This was the first Star Wars series I watched. It was ok. I can do without Hayden Christensen. Little Leia is cute and McGregor is very good. Some of the agenda is a little too obvious to me.

bru87tr likes this.
  16. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

What did you expect from Disney?
    The shows is beyond terrible!
    One thing that I find fascinating is the rigged imdb rating.
    Money can buy anything nowwdays

bru87tr, Scott222C and Keith V like this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It's a side show (meant to be peripheral and somewhat gratuitously additive to the original films) for kids and kids at heart. My family and I enjoyed it well enough. I don't get uptight over minor canon business or even some plot gaps. If anything, it's kind of fun to try to come up with reasons why it works, wherever the show falls a little short. This stuff is all about moments, music, lightsabers, spaceships, robots, etc. There is something about this stuff (Star Wars, Trek, Marvel, etc.) where a lot of older folks who may have had a now secret fondness for the original material continue to punish themselves by engaging and then like to spend time online complaining about it all, sometimes lightly (i.e. no specific criticism, just "terrible") or sometimes super-nerd level (i.e. "this conflicts with that one line of dialogue said in Episode XVIII!!!").

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. I'm not sure which is funnier; the show itself or the comedy over-reactions to it.
    Enjoyed it.
    It is obviously a box ticking nostalgia fest.
    Anyone put out over the gender / 'race' issues should get out of mummy's basement and enter the C21.
    Best series of the three put out so far.

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

What’s a C21? A fighter ship or a transport? :D

RexKramer likes this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

I dunno, I think Mandalorian is still the gold standard to beat; it's got all the hallmarks of the animated series, expanding the universe in some newer directions while still leaning on ye olde Star Wars crutches.

21. gabacabriel

OK, so some of the more obvious things that MADE NO SENSE in that final episode:-

Can't the Imperials send a squadron of TIEs to chase down the rebels when Vader directs the Star Destroyer after Kenobi?

Can't they just use a tractor beam to pull Obi-Wan's ship in to the Star Destroyer?

Kinda convenient that there just happens to be an oxygen breathing planet like two minutes away that Obi Wan can set down on for the scrap, isn't it?

Why must Vader face Kenobi "alone"? Didn't work out very well for him in RotS, did it? I'd have had the whole flipping Star Destroyer down there with me.

Obi-Wan doesn't finish the job. AGAIN!?!

And before anyone says I'm overthinking it after the event - all of these thoughts occurred to me while I was watching it.

I mean, it's just basic plotting.

Scott222C and Keith V like this.
  22. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Poor execution.
    Bad action scenes - all appalling bad.
    Bad visual effects for the series.
    Bad editing.
    Poor arc of Obi-Wan and Vader.

I watched it all.

I enjoyed the general story of Leia and Obi-Wan.
    I could care less about Anakin in all forms - the more I find out about him the less compelling he becomes.
    People complaining about "woke agendas" are like Jim Carrey's "The number 23."

Hope: Someone does a fan edit where they condense 6 hours down to 2.5 and we get a better product without the awkward pauses, jettisons the worst of the "action" takes, and makes this a leaner/tighter movie.

NettleBed, bru87tr and Keith V like this.
  23. gabacabriel

Strong Mojo, that Force. Stupid idea to leave her alive on that floor "back in the gutter".

I'd have slit her head to toe, personally. See if the Force can sort that one out.

Probably not kid-friendly enough, though. And would have put the kibosh on any spin-off series!

24. BeatleJWOL

That would probably have satisfied some of the more, ah, strident complainers, for sure.

25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

This is what I mean - the show is just a bit of fun, I can enjoy coming up with answers to these in a microsecond and then move on; see my underlined comments below in quote.

There are probably many problematic plot points in the original films, that few ever complain about because we were kids, and nostalgia. I feel like people who want plotting perfection might simply be happier moving away from kids shows on Disney+ and just watching actual adult content.

PhoffiFozz likes this.