JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. It's supposed to be at the very end, right after "...as a brick".

Keith V, Larry L and DK Pete like this.
  2. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

I was excited to see that the book edition is getting a repress until I realized that it is only two discs and no live recordings? But, we get the full newspaper? Yay? I'm not sure I care now. Compared to the other ones I bought it seems pretty slim on content.

Beechlander and hbbfam like this.
  3. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

This re-release is clearly not meant to be any different content-wise: it's being reissued only because people have been asking for it for ages. I am glad they are doing it as it's the only box that I missed and it could certainly pave the way for more reissues in the future.

Regarding the dreaded Peter Mew mastering: considering that (if I'm not mistaken) the single CD edition of the remix didn't use it (@Plan9 can you confirm that?) and that in 2016 they took upon themselves to do a new version of the "Aqualung" set also to adress what was perceived as a poor mastering, I don't believe they will re-use it here. These reissues have always been made with the greatest care and I don't think things will be any different here.

JulesRules, Munger74, Nipper and 6 others like this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

If we are talking about the end of the album, my MFSL CD has no "yeah" (original mix?). I also have the 2015 HD download which presumably is the Wilson version, but it has no "yeah" at the end either. Are we talking about the first side or the end of the album? This may turn into a "do I have the Hoffman Who's Next".

5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

It is there on the download and I think on the MFSL as well.
    It's very quiet about 2 seconds after the brick

Plan9 likes this.
  6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

REPEAT - At the very end of the album, the "Yeah" that Ian Anderson quietly says after the final "to be thick as a brick" is sung, has been restored to the 5.1 version.
    The final "Yeah" was missing from the 25th anniversary edition.
    On the corrected DVD deluxe package the final yeah is only on the 5.1. To my knowledge, "Yeah" was never included when Peter Mew mastered Thick As A Brick.

The final yeah is on the original UK vinyl, UK + USA & MFSL CD's.

BwanaBob likes this.
  7. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

It doesn't need any extra content in order to sell, people have been screaming for its reissue for a decade now (and literally saying 'We don't need anything extra, we just want it because we missed out the first time'). It will sell out.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is one of my top ten albums of all time hence, it was the one Tull set I was looking most forward to in anticipation of working versions of the final “piece”. We got nothing. For this reason, I consider the so-called repress useless.

folkfreak likes this.
  9. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

It's not a 'so-called' repress. It's a repress; it was made once, now it's being made again to alleviate demand. And it's far from useless, as the sales will surely prove. If you don't have it already, now's your chance. If you do have it, you aren't the target market anyway.

It's amazing to have seen and heard 10 years of people practically begging for this, and now that the powers that be have finally caved, 'it's useless'.

10. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Definitely "yeah" at the end of 2015 HD download (and IIRC on MFSL too).
    It's at the very end of part 2, it's very quiet, just turn your volume up...

Nycademon, hbbfam and Plan9 like this.
  11. tootull

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If one doesn’t have it and loves the album, definitely go for it (I do have it). I didn’t mean to come off so snooty (sorry bout that). But I was just so incredibly let down that this set, of all the Tull sets, gave us nothing in the way of outtakes…I was actually hoping for something added when I first heard about the repress. But yes, if you don’t have it, that’s reason enough to go for it. “Useless” was the wrong word.

ARK, Progatron and Gezza like this.
  13. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

The end of the album.

ARK and tootull like this.
  14. tootull

Yeah?

YEAH final :-popcorn:

Ed Hughes and ParloFax like this.
  15. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Seems suspiciously underpriced. Although one sees the DVD audio in the picture, there is no mention in the listing of this release that this is a CD.
    I'll bite the bullet and hold onto my Burning Shed order.

Old Fred likes this.
  16. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Keep your shed order. That Amazon set was for the 40th set! :shake:

Haggis Wampovich, ARK and ParloFax like this.
  17. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I have the Pono version (un-Mewed, split into 8 tracks). The "yeah" is there, at the very end of the album.

18. folkfreak

Which is the same set....

shadlet, ARK, Dr. Nick and 2 others like this.
  19. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I bought mine from Best Buy when it came out. Even then, the music section had shrunk to a couple of small aisles (used to be about 4 long aisles). I saw one, and only one, sitting on a shelf. Not knowing this was coming out and being a big fan of the album, I picked it up.
    Of course is has the Peter Mew mastering but I never tried to get a corrected version. Hopefully the new one will have the proper mastering, and like a fool, I’ll probably get it again. Will also get the vinyl. Guess its to late now to sell my copy for big bucks now that the word is out about the new release!

20. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

21. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Right. Just depends how picky one wants to get with issues.

22. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

It looks to me like the new vinyl edition is called 50th, and the reprinted CD/DVD bookset is still called 40th, so Nycademon is linking to the right one.

JulesRules, ARK, Horace Wimp and 3 others like this.
  23. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

sound chaser, stevef, shadlet and 4 others like this.
  24. folkfreak

But when one says that one is picky....