"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It's cool that you have them regardless, but I have to ask: Did the picture sleeves manage to survive thru the years?

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Very true, especially as we're just a little over a year from the 70th anniversary of when he first went into The Memphis Recording Service and made a record of himself, and then a year after that, his first professional record...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Price.pittsburgh, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  3. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Or at any age really.

RSteven likes this.
  4. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

She was gorgeous, just age gracefully, people

artfromtex, RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  5. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

It's funny, I go back and forth between thinking Elvis was pretty smart to him being a complete idiot. The lack of financial common sense, not taking control of his career, being duped by the Colonel, many of the awful interviews he did where he seems lost for words don't portray the image of a smart guy. But then you read from some insiders that he was pretty clever.

6. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I've seen that too. I don't believe the movie shows his death so maybe they don't know where it happened but shouldn't you get that right? Reviewers are always going to look for something to hate, it comes with the job. I'm way more interested in what the average person thinks

RSteven likes this.
  7. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I've always said Elvis' earliest records for the most part were more country sounding to me then RnB.

RSteven and eddiel like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up a mint RCA tri centre King Creole 45rpm for 50p yesterday.

9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The only one that did was the "Hound Dog" one. I consider that a great bonus, given that the records themselves are all in great condition as it is. Not sure what happened to the other sleeves, but at least one survived.

RSteven, alexpop, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  10. Did someone say Robert Goulet? Here’s The Colonel, Robert Goulet and Sammy Davis Jr. right before an Elvis concert:

Having trouble posting it, if it doesn’t show up it can be found at this link:

Colonel Tom Parker the former manager of Elvis Presley Sammy Davis Jr... | FilmMagic | 115770069

RSteven and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

12. alexpop

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw the new Elvis movie at the movies last night during a special fan appreciation event at Showcase Cinemas and wow! It is absolutely awesome. Even my wife called it a masterpiece. Austin Butler knocks it out of the park. Buz’s direction is electric. You won’t fall asleep on this movie. A movie fit for a King. :righton:

14. While no two people will ever agree on what should be in an Elvis movie, there’s a few things I’d have liked to have seen or at least mentioned/referred to (even in a newspaper headline or TV clip) so thought I’d list them. This is in no way, shape or form a criticism of the movie - which I loved - just a few things I wish were in it. And who knows, maybe they’re in the 4-hour cut.

Ed Sullivan Show - This was a massive ‘shot across the bow’ so surprised it wasn’t mentioned. They went with Milton Berle - which makes sense due to the strength of the performance -so maybe it would have been too much ‘50’s TV appearances

Post-army studio recordings - Elvis came out with what many consider his best album - Elvis Is Back! And followed it with killer singles, Something for Everybody and Pot Luck - how cool it would have been to see a quick scene with Elvis effectively acting as his own producer working on one of these Bill Porter-engineered gems

Movie years - I’m fine with what was included in Elvis, although I would loved a scene seeing Austin on set in, say, Paradise Hawaiian Style or Frankie & Johnny.

Probably not practical at all but The Beatles coming to Elvis’ Bel Aire home. Imagine a scene between Parker and Epstein!

A stretch here but maybe a scene with Elvis and Larry Geller at the Self-Realization Shrine in Pacific Palisades talking metaphysical things to show Elvis’ spiritual side

A scene with Elvis and Steve Binder walking the Sunset Strip with no one recognizing Elvis (1968, right before filming the ‘68 Special)

Gospel Albums - No mention of any of Elvis’ Gospel LPs which is unfortunate as by all accounts he was extremely proud of them.

Stage shots of either Aloha or Madison Square Garden, two of the bigger events of his career in the 70’s.

Jungle Room sessions

Just my two cents ;)

Grand_Ennui, Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  15. alexpop

Negative reviews ( few ), seem to be reviewers that either don’t like Elvis or Baz.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I grew up dirt poor in the projects, had a high school education, drove a truck for an electric company … and then suddenly achieved success beyond anything anyone could imagine, I highly doubt I would have exhibited “financial common sense” either.

As for the interviews where Elvis seems at a loss for words, and, to be frank, stutters and has trouble talking, as I’ve noted many times before, there was some strange savant quality at work in his mind where he was very inarticulate in everyday life, yet, in the context of a spoken word interlude of a song such as “Are You Lonesome Tonight” he could employ language masterfully. While singing, he was also somehow able to dig into the heart of a lyric more profoundly than just about anyone save for Frank Sinatra and a few other masters of their art. Elvis may have come across as “dumb” in interviews, but he was anything but.

17. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

For those interested in the soundtrack, it looks like a digital download and streaming release on 24 June, with a CD release on 29 July. Hoping there will be some sort of vinyl release as well! I wasn't going in thinking I'd like the soundtrack, but I actually really like it! Luhrmann's Gatsby soundtrack was the same for me, and that one got me into listening to more Electro-Swing!

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have noticed the exact same thing. Their distain for Elvis or Baz just seems to drip from their keyboard.

905, Chris DeVoe, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  19. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

And to me, those kind of people shouldn't be reviewing this movie. It's like reading people who review, say, Star Trek, and don't like Star Trek. You're never going to get a fair review, or at least one that can compare it against something on its own level.

I did like what Lisa Marie said in the ABC special on Tuesday night, where she feels protective toward Butler and if anyone has anything bad to say about him to see her.

MRamble, Shawn, alexpop and 2 others like this.
  20. alexpop

Probably don’t even watch the film. Review done months earlier.

RSteven, Shawn and raveoned like this.
  21. alexpop

Tarantino commented yet?

MRamble and RSteven like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm surprised Cybill Shepherd hasn't popped up talking about her date with Elvis.

Grand_Ennui and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Cher & Dolly being the exception

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This brand new article in Time Magazine by Stephanie Zacharek is a very thoughtful piece covering some of the controversial aspects of Elvis over the years. She admits to loving Elvis, so while that informs her and gives her credibility to me, it does not stop her from some very objective and insightful analysis on how Americans cannot come to terms with Elvis, even after all these years. She like the new movie as well.

Elvis Still Has Not Left the Building - TIME
    https://time.com › Entertainment › movies

laf848, P(orF), D-rock and 5 others like this.
  25. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident

I agree it's very unfair to call Elvis "dumb". In the early interviews (54-56), sure, he sounds like the innocent and slightly confused country boy that he was. He also had a stutter back then, which didn't help things. But that changed, and it changed pretty quick. And if you watch later interviews or press conferences like New York 1972 he comes across as pretty smart, he knows just what to say, and what not to say.

“I can never forget the longing to be someone. I guess if you are poor you always think bigger and want more than those who have everything when they are born. We didn’t. So our dreams and ambitions could be much greater because we had so much farther to go than anyone else. I am not ashamed of my background, or the fact that I drove a truck. In fact, I am proud that in America we have the opportunity to fight for a way of life … I don’t regard money or position as important. It is what a man does that is important.”
    ("At home with Elvis Presley", Elvis interviewed by James Kingsley in The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, March 1965)

Or what about this 1969 interview with Ray Connely that was published in the London Evening Standard in August ´69:
    Interview with Elvis Presley + Review of Elvis in concert July 31, 1969 | Elvis Articles
    About having (or not having) financial common sense, he said it best himself:
    "The money - I have no idea at all about that. I just don't want to know. You can stuff it." :D

laf848, jeremylr, GillyT and 7 others like this.