Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Cue the "but everything is superheroes and scifi and fantasy" crowd... :laugh:

2. Fair point.
    I enjoyed Mandalorian too.
    In fact, all these new series have been good, just didn't have the thing that Rebels had that got me watching 'just one more episode' 'til the sun came up.
    Grogu I found annoying, how I thought the actress playing Leia was going to be when Kenobi started.
    But she was fine, no problem with her or anyone else.
    Looking forward to whatever comes next.
    Wonder if they're doing a 50th anniversary thing, akin to what they did for Doctor Who.

PhoffiFozz and Pete Puma like this.
  3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I always assumed that lightsaber wounds were immediately cauterized. And tapping into the dark side is what kept Vader alive after losing all his limbs and suffering full body third degree burns. That would explain how the Grand Inquisitor and Reva survived a saber stab and Qui Gon didn't.

I have to say that the scene with Anakin's face exposed made the whole series (flaws and all) worth it. It was just as good as the duel and birth of Vader (up until the NOOOOO scream) in Episode III. So disturbing and heart breaking. I watched it twice, and it was even moreso the second time. And I thought him absolving Kenobi of responsibility for "killing Anakin Skywalker" was a clever way to justify his bending of the truth for Luke in Episode IV. And Ewan played it so well.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I've seen a few comments from people that like The Mandalorian, but said they didn't make it past the first few episodes of Boba Fett.

Just FYI, episodes 4+ of Boba Fett are essentially Mandalorian episodes (complete with Grodu, Luke, etc.) so if you liked that you need to watch them. If there is another season of Mandalorian, everyone who skipped Boba Fett is going to be like, what?

5. Note, I never said he was wrong. Just that the post was a extraordinary nerdgasm. I'm not sure anyone would argue against that, would they?

Isaac K. likes this.
  6. Could you explain?

SRC likes this.
  7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

They already deleted a bunch of posts about this BS. Don’t take the troll bait.

8. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Not a huge SW fan (haven't really liked anything since ESB in 1980 :D), but I enjoyed it!

Leviethan and SRC like this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

:hide:

If I said “fan service” instead of “agenda” I may have gotten away with it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, "fan service" generally refers to fans getting more of things they say they like and getting mad about it.
    The usual "agenda" referred to here is of a political nature.

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now there’s all this. :)

PhoffiFozz and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I think the biggest win of this series is that it showed how terrifying and powerful Vader is, while simultaneously showing how weak, small sad and pathetic he really is.

I thought it was a nice touch that Obi Wan gave him that big scar on his head during this duel.

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Fair enough. Although too much of the mystery went away with the prequels.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’ve always been of the opinion that Hayden Christiansen’s portrayal of Anakin in episodes II and III was spot on. He was a total sullen bully in the making. A real whiny bitch. Basically the old republic equivalent of a Proud Boy. It made his fall totally understandable. It’s not like he was an innocent angel who got seduced to the dark side. He just needed a push in the wrong direction. The Sith (and the Jedi for that matter) is a cult, and well balanced, secure people don’t join cults.

PhoffiFozz, Nipper, Curveboy and 5 others like this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You may be right, but humanizing characters like Vader or Fett is a mistake. Learning what mythic heroes and villains were really like always makes them lesser. Some things should just be left to the imagination and unknown.

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Fun Fact. Ewan McGregor and Sir Alec Guinness are/were both 5’10”

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I don’t demand plotting perfection, but some internal consistency would be very welcome.

Any post-rationalisation made up to justify sloppy storytelling remains just that.

Dr. J. and Keith V like this.
  18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

And THAT applies across the board - be it Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, whatever.

I’ll give Obi-Wan one thing though - it was better than Boba Fett.

bru87tr likes this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

How are his posts themed what you say they are?

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well it took 23 years (Since Episode I), I guess we finally have all the major plot holes filled in? This is somewhat satisfying to me, as a kid who grew up with the original trilogy.

But it does take some of the 'fun mystery' out of connecting the characters and timelines.

I don't have any urge to pick nits or plot holes like most here, but I did find it interesting that we saw Vader:
    specifically call out that he/Vader killed Anakin. Thus squashing all the fan-complaints that Obi-Wan lied to Luke when asked about his father.

21. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I did not buy and hated Reva's arc. Ruined ep 6 for me. Why (and how) did she go to Tatooine so fast? Her actions in this final episode make no sense. I had liked the character until then.

22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Eh, I'm a miserable old Star Wars fan but I enjoyed that.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  23. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Yeah, I do agree - how did that Star Destroyer not get them a bit more easily?! At least it didn't have that ridiculous 'chasing them until they ran out of petrol' nonsense that surfaced in Episode 8.

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Overall, it was okay. The little girl irritated me but it is a Disney product.

bru87tr likes this.
  25. My sentiments exactly! Lots of flaws, but none effected my enjoyment of these pulp series. I don't take them too serious and just sit back and enjoy them for what they are -not what they could have been.

HotblackDesiato likes this.