The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Greg Vickers

Greg Vickers Forum Resident

Here is one that came and went: Curiosity Killed The Cat, who had minor hits with 'Down To Earth' and 'Misfit' from their lone album Keep Your Distance (1987).

My memory of them is firmly entrenched in my senior year of high school. A friend had gone on a school trip to London and come back with their album, which none of us here in Canada had ever heard of. We loved it! Their videos started getting a little bit of play, and we saw how cool they were and how stylish they dressed and for a few months became very enamored. Between this record and Confessions Of A Pop Group by TSC my fashion plate was firmly set.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Quite frankly, if this is the “hosting” of the thread (my way or the highway) then good liluck to you all. Unfollowing a thread that I had a genuine interest in. Not trying to create arguments. Judy trying to put the 8os on the globsl context. Shrink back to Shropshire .

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I don’t remember NME having all of these graphics of artist in their record reviews.
    I wonder if they stole the idea from Look-In magazine, they did share the same readership if I remember correctly…

Jarleboy, moj and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I quite liked Curiosity Killed The Cat.
    Enigmatic frontman Ben was cut from a similar cloth as Jim Kerr from Simple Minds and Showaddywaddy singer Dave Bartram. They all had that extra something meaning that you just couldn’t take your eyes off them when they appeared on Top Of The Pops.
    It’s difficult to put your finger on it…

5. Bendy Ben was on some TV dating show a few years back. He cut a sad and lonely shell of a man.

ippudo and Jarleboy like this.
  6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Oh that's sad to hear, did he get to go on a date?

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I got the original debut CD from a charity shop a few years ago.

8. It was one of those where they set a fan up with one of their idols from when they were younger.
    He came across as deluded regarding how famous he is / once was!!!
    Dressed the same, still had his hat on.
    Not sure if he realised how bad a light it painted him in. Maybe he was set up....

9. moj

moj Forum Resident

I thought the same thing. In October '87 I was 21-and-a-half and my musical tastes, which were impeccable, were pretty much set in stone. I no longer 'needed' the NME every week, but I'd be surprised if I wasn't buying it every 2-3 weeks. It might be further proof of my failing memory but I suspect that those portraits were a short-lived experiment.

10. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

Hah........I dont believe you.......:D.....cause its the best thing on it.......:)

11. Bobby Morrow

They should have stopped the album after track 9.:)

12. Twist-Of-Shadows

But Knife itself - the track - is probably the finest thing he`s ever written.......regardless of the fact that it was produced by the unlikeable M.Knopfler. :D
    But those chords, the way the instrumental towards the end builds and takes its time......just heavenly.

ippudo, Eric_Generic and moj like this.
  13. Twist-Of-Shadows

.....and how about Martyn & Glenn on backing vocals.......I never knew that......they sure know how to sing in harmony.......hey, wait......they did that already for Jimmy Ruffin and Tina.......

14. Twist-Of-Shadows

Excuse me for asking, but what is exactly "a charity shop" and how does it work (economically) ?
    I dont think we have one of those here.......

15. Twist-Of-Shadows

There were of lot of girl singers who name beggins with Tracxxx (with slight variations in the spelling) is in the charts during the 80s.......and some very good looking ones as well.......

Tracie (Young), Tracy Thorn, Tracey Ullman......and of course, who could forget Tracy Tracy (The Primitives) whose really name was Tracy Spencer, but there was another Tracie Spencer, very much a juvenile in the late 80s who scored a big hit in the US in 1988 when she was only 12.......

16. Bobby Morrow

Like a thrift store? Where people take their old stuff and it’s sold on and the money given to charities.

17. Twist-Of-Shadows

Oh, I see.......where the people come to sell their used LPs / CDs and then the owner basically rips them off and keeps all the cash to himself........yeah.....we have those.......:D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

More Record Mirror stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Re MJ's Bad album. I enjoy the title track, but the rest play like contrived, soulless, approximations of what an '80s Peter Pan pop puppet ought to sound like. I think of Michael most fondly during his J5 days, a fresh faced kid, eager and excited to share his enormous talent.

I like his '79 solo debut, Off The Wall. It's an enjoyable, rather low key, pop-dance album. I'm always drawn to the front cover. How happy he looks; the well dressed, supremely talented, 'normal' young man about town. Thriller's 'okay' - there are a quartet of fabulous singles - but the gloss, and hype, and sycophancy are starting to be plastered on too thickly. Then, five years on......Bad. And everything's changed. The music's as plastic as the nose on his face. That fresh-faced kid is turning into a freak show, where everyone wants their piece of the Jackson action; and some of that 'action' turns out to be very dark indeed.

She's Out Of My Life (UK #3 1980)

21. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

No, it’s not a rip off. The shops are owned by various different charities (not by private owners) and they take in donations of unwanted stuff (clothes, DVDs, CDs, records etc) and sell them in the shop. Most of the charities are pretty reputable but if you don’t approve of a charity you don’t have to donate to it or buy stuff there.

23. JumpinJimF

I quite liked that Hothouse Flowers LP, haven’t listened to it for a long time though. Confess I don’t recall any of the others.

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. JumpinJimF

That Eurythmics album was pretty good but I think I preferred their earlier sparser stuff.

Bet there were some bargains to find amongst those small ads!

Alf., Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Twist-Of-Shadows

OK.....I understand what you`re saying, but I`m afraid you didnt understand me.
    What I was saying is that we have those second hand shops where the private owner buys everything from the customers with a large discount, then sells those items for 3-5x more than he paid for them.....and thats what you would call a rip-off.

Eric_Generic and JumpinJimF like this.