Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think it will very likely have both stereo and surround mixes but I couldn’t find the specific info either.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Waiting for the bootleg. Oh, wait...

Yankeefan01 likes this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Nowhere as cheap as drives without BD capability, and there's only about two or three somewhat reputable companies producing them. Even then, you don't actually know what kind of drive is included until you open it yourself. And the reviews kept me from getting one for a long time, as it seems that every single one is fraught with issues, especially if you want to burn BDs yourself (which admittedly isn't my main concern, but still good to have for backup).

I'm talking about external drives, by the way, but internal ones are on the way out. I talked to the guy at the electronics store and pointed out how the desktop PC that we were standing by didn't even seem to feature any place where you could put such a drive.

Jagger69 likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I haven’t searched for any BD drives lately (I picked one up many years ago), but blu-rays have been common since 2006. Surely there has been an external drive released since then that is reputable and would serve your needs. Blu-ray isn’t some new fad at this point in time - it’s old sock. ;)

Aoide, TonyCzar and crossroads69 like this.
  5. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I'm afraid there won't be any 5.1 surround mix. If this was the case, the information would be specified on EC store in the first place i guess...

6. JulesRules

That's exactly the problem.
    For the record, I'm good for now - I got one a few weeks ago. But I noticed a lot of ones that got many reviews weren't being produced anymore or were generally out of date (even the one I bought has quite old software bundled with it, and since the installation dialog was built on Adobe Flash Player, many people are now having issues - thankfully I haven't removed it yet). And not to mention that the packaging was quite dusty! God knows how long it had already been lying around.

Simply put, the market has shrunk. This is all offtopic, but it's a cold hard fact that Blu-Ray hasn't caught on the way CD and DVD have. Lots of consumers are how streaming HD content or better. But if you don't have that kind of network or don't like the subscription models or whatever, you're not in a great position.

TonyCzar likes this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Yes, external drives as most PC’s don’t have slots for internal drives anymore. I’ve used Pioneer BD drives since the early 2000’s, never had an issue, currently using an external drive, with Pioneer you know exactly what you’re getting, I highly doubt it’s any different with DVD drives. I think LG is another good option. With very little research it’s not hard to figure out what you’re getting.

I would assume you have an HD monitor on your PC, if you do you’re not getting the most out of what you already have with DVD. Does lossless audio mean anything to you? The audio will be neutered with DVD. Lastly, what about the future? You’re not going to have that PC setup forever, then you’re going to be stuck with DVD doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. However, at the end of the day is long as you’re satisfied and happy with DVD that’s all that matters.

8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Says here in this official video that there will be stereo, 5.1 and Atmos audio and you can bet they’ll be lossless on the Blu-Ray…DVD most likely not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzccqOzl0iw

9. JulesRules

:confused:
    I specifically explained how I was looking for a drive with blu-ray capability and got one.

My observation that there is a bigger and broader supply of DVD drives out there and that they are cheaper still stands. If Blu-Ray had become the new standard, you wouldn't see these being produced anymore. And you would also not see releases like this on DVD anymore.

Just because the format is superior, doesn't mean it has succeeded in the way it should have.
    The drive I got is by Verbatim, but several reviews have stated that it's actually a Pioneer drive inside. The salesman actually confirmed this to me. And don't get me started about the no-name Chinese products on Amazon and eBay.

Jagger69 likes this.
  10. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Thank you bbanderic.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

If you’re talking about the post where you said the box was dusty and the old software, you posted that as I wrote my last post. Good luck with the Verbatim drive.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

I guess i should start to wear glasses... :rolleyes:

Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues

"Long-awaited 1995 documentary upgraded to 4k and features 20 live performances in hi-res stereo, 5.1 and Atmos mixes"

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Or you could do what I did, which was buy a very reliable internal drive and put it in an external enclosure. The resulting "product" has a larger footprint than I would like, but has worked flawlessly. I find the drive to be 100% essential. I've said this in other threads, but I can't tell you how many times I've had to do a downmix of 5.1 tracks from Blu Rays to get a decent sounding stereo version. There are WAY too many discs out there where the stereo tracks have excessive digital limiting applied, but the 5.1 tracks do not (for whatever reason). Bringing it back to this thread, I really want this release and will likely get the Blu Ray, but I'm tempted to wait to hear reviews on the audio (whether or not it's been squashed) before I pull the trigger.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Simon Climie remixed it... :-popcorn:

Bonddm and JulesRules like this.
  15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

HD stereo is why I went with the BR instead of the CDs. Looking forward to this!

16. JulesRules

I was considering that but eventually decided it was going to be too much hassle for me.

Anyway, enough of that detour.

jhm likes this.
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

True. I find it utterly baffling.

And yet I'm kinda grateful that not all audio options are squashed when I come across one such disc.

JulesRules and jhm like this.
  18. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I think we have very good evidence already, audio and video, that the audio will be just fine, most certainly an upgrade to what’s already been out there from the Fillmore gigs, I have no worries in that regard.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Good reason for me to wait!

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Blu-ray has absolutely caught on… with people who still buy physical media. Thankfully, most recent box sets have included Blu-ray over DVD.

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

My only live CD from this tour: Eric Clapton - Kind Of Blues

Back cover says, "Recorded Live at "THE FORUM", Los Angeles 3rd November 1994 (except * [track 1, disc 1] = "FILLMORE" 7th, 8th & 9th November 1994)."

I bought that CD about 20 years ago or so, and I always thought those recording details can't be entirely accurate, or maybe they're the other way around (everything from several dates at the Fillmore + one track from The Forum).

Does anyone know what's the actual date/location for this CD?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Motherless Child is the only track from the Fillmore, not sure on the date, the rest is from the LA Forum

23. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Correct. I think that, for whatever reason, Motherless Child (the opener) wasn’t captured live at the Forum, so the bootleggers put on the Fillmore version to complete the show.

ARK, Anthrax, bbanderic and 2 others like this.
  24. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Three quarters of Motheless Children from the LA Forum does exist. Some boot editions fade it in with the LA version. Not sure if the LA show was professionally recorded or whether it is a soundboard recording.

25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Amazon notification just informed that the NBTB Blu-ray arrives tomorrow! The wait is almost over :goodie: