Reason you first desired HDTV ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Ours was pretty simple back then. What spurred our desire initially was believe it or not “The Antiques Road Show” for a more accurate and detailed look at what they displayed.
    What about you? Any specific reason?

fretter likes this.
  2. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

As TV screen width went larger and the bodies got smaller the 480p/SD was getting a lot more 'blurry'. My first experience that gave me that wow factor was a local shop here had large displays on with HDNet playing as demo content (remember the bikini girl shows? :D ) so maybe you could say it was partly Mark Cubans fault I wanted a HDTV

ognirats, Chris DeVoe and Khorn like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wanted one because I needed something nice to play the blu-rays off the OPPO with. The option for 3D was just a bonus, but I was already rockin' 5.1 music so...why not.

jjhunsecker likes this.
  4. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

I was inside a KABC control room in LA and they had a video monitor on the control board playing an HD loop of the shuttle blasting off. (Can’t remember the year but HD wasn’t out yet publicly) everyone in that room was fixated on the screen amazed at the quality. The talk was if this would ever see the light of day commercially.

Shawn, Old Rusty and Khorn like this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Obviously seeing HD televisions in stores and at home theater events whetted my appetite. Saw the first Sony SXRD at a NYC HT Show and ordered one immediately.

audiomixer and Khorn like this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I needed a new TV. All the new models were HD.

7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Sports, something not frequently mentioned on the forum. Movies look darned good too, but the first time I saw Wimbledon and Tour de France not just high resolution but widescreen. Wow.

Doug_B, carrick doone and Khorn like this.
  8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

1998. I was dying for a widescreen display to play my newly-acquired anamorphic DVDs. At the time, I bought a Toshiba 40" widescreen standard-definition RPTV. We didn't know in '98 just how long before mass market HDTVs would come to market, and when/how we'd get real HD content.

By 2000, it was becoming clear that OTA and a few satellite channels would be the best way to watch content, so in 2001 I invested in a Mitsubishi WS-55908 55" set. Had it calibrated and have enjoying HD ever since! That TV is long gone, but wow.. 21 years of HD and it's come a long way.

Chris DeVoe and Khorn like this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Widescreen and 1080p. SXRD XBR1 60" in 2005.

Khorn likes this.
  10. Khorn

Must admit sports was also a driving factor.

Scowl likes this.
  11. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I got it because I had been reading about video compression and digital transmission for years and then I heard it was now being broadcast for free in my area by a couple of stations. I got a PC card to receive it and found some software to decode it. It was really exciting to see digital images appear out of thin air although hardly anything was in HD and I didn't like anything on network television at the time.

Khorn likes this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

At that time?!? At any time! :D

Michael and Khorn like this.
  13. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Around 2003 or 2004 there were finally some network shows I liked. Before that all I think I watched was Smallville and 24.

Khorn likes this.
  14. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Sports, particularly the Olympic Games via broadcast television. I was working at a local NBC affiliate that just started local high definition programs. Someone earlier mentioned anamorphic widescreen DVDs.

Khorn and unclefred like this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

First it was football, then the DVD. Streaming now makes it a necessity.

Khorn likes this.
  16. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The Olympics took a long time to get into high definition. For the 2004 summer Olympics everything was aired live in SD, then they edited together some highlights from the previous day and aired those in HD the next day. Even the winter games in 2006 still had some events in widescreen SD like all of the snowboarding.

Khorn likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Far superior visuals, a major leap forward.

Taurus and Khorn like this.
  18. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

When you could no longer buy CRTs in stores.

PonceDeLeroy, Bluesman Mark and Khorn like this.
  19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Phillies were playing Game 5 of the NL Division against the St. Louis Cardinals. Went out and bought our first HD tv before the game.

Phillies lost and have’t been in a playoff game since..doh

20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Circa 2006 my analog Toshiba CRT died. I owned an Ikea wall unit that I didn't want to toss. Also, rear projection was still too cumbersome and flat screens were expensive.

When I found the Magnavox 27" CRT monitor that could do 480p or 1080i over component or HD-15 I though it would be a compromise. The worst part of that set was how much of a tease it was. I know the geometry was goofy but when I saw a HD 1080i Phillies game on Verizon Fios the monitor detected a HD source and vertically compressed the scan lines into a small but jewel like picture. Even the Verizon installer was surprised. He said he had never seen a 4:3 HD ready CRT.

Khorn likes this.
  21. Khorn

I guess the fact that I’ve been involved with using optics in critical applications most of my life from Astronomy to Photography to other types of varied terrestrial uses and all they entail, I desire a certain level of PQ out of a TV display.
    They’re getting there but there are still some problems and artifacts to overcome. Still, compared to what we used to deem acceptable we’re in a rather “golden age” in this area.

22. Was hosting a SuperBowl party & scored a 50" Sony HDTV & a new 1080i cable-box. Blew everybodys mind. 2005 I think...looked just like this one
    [​IMG]

23. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I work in TV and was able to see quality NTSC video for nearly a decade and it was heartbreaking to come home and see cable and VHS. LaserDisc was pretty much it. My dad got a C-Band dish for his house. I opted for an Ampex VPR-2 ( 1" video) because I could bring home dubs of amazing-looking video. I first saw demos of HDTV in the late 90s(I believe 720p). Truth be told, I wasn't impressed. Later, seeing HDCAM/HDSR and D5 certainly turned my head around.

Dan

seacliffe301, mdm08033 and Khorn like this.
  24. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I purchased that very TV around that time. It had major issues and Sony sent me a new one.

Khorn and Old Rusty like this.
  25. The major issue I had was rear-projection misalignment. Drove me nuts

Khorn and numer9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.