JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There should at least be a flat transfer on the DVD, right?

DK Pete likes this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Waffling on this one. I've got the Wilson single cd, with a nice 22-page booklet; and an original vinyl with newspaper. I'd gain 80 more book pages, plus a 5.1 for someday when I can play it. Shelf uniformity is fun, but not a deciding factor. The thicker book is the primary draw. Gluttony the downside. (To have enough is to be wealthy.)

3. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

4. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

It was “new” when it was produced. All they are doing is printing more copies.

Plan9, Deek57, shadlet and 4 others like this.
  5. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Ordered from Amazon. This is the only set I’m missing. I’m happy with the CD/DVD reissue. Completism is a satisfying factor, but it will also be nice to have the 5.1 mix. I assume it will feature the newer, non-Mew mastering.

6. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

There is.

7. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Mew didn’t master the 5.1 mix. But the DVD had errors, hence the need for a corrected DVD.

8. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

It’s a plot . . .

Keith V likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So what exactly is “Deluxe” about this 50th Anniversary edition?

10. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

You get the SW remix and reconstructed 12 page newspaper. Burning Shed calls it:
    Thick As A Brick (50th Anniversary Edition). No “Deluxe”.

Edit: Maybe a kind GORT could take “Deluxe” off the thread title?

yesstiles likes this.
  11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

My sources say that this is officially being called “The 10th Anniversary of the 40th Anniversary Edition”.

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Rhino does that kind of thing. Some of their Monkees reissues refer to "previously unreleased" recordings that, while unreleased originally, have been on the market since 1987.

Old Fred likes this.
  13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

[​IMG]

Nycademon and ARK like this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sounds like you have great sources! :)

ARK likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My book deluxe set has the flat transfer of the original mix, yes.

Keith V likes this.
  16. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

The vinyl price listed at Burning Shed makes it very special…

17. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

18. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

From Rhino Records I got mine for about $25 before shipping.

Norco74 likes this.
  19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Im assuming it will be listed on Amazon UK at some point soon.

culabula likes this.
  20. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

So, is it fair to say this is the 2012 book version with the corrected DVD?
    When the set was first released, buyers had to write afterwards and ask for a corrected DVD to be sent. After that when sealed copies came on the secondary market, buyers had to hope they were Charlie, opening and finding the Golden Ticket or a DVD with the underline. To be sure you got a corrected DVD copy, buyers had to pay a premium and hope their used copy was graded correctly.
    This set takes all that drama out of that, at what, $25 bucks a pop in the US? For a new, sealed, corrected 2012 book set? There is great worth in that for me.
    Now we can project... I wish it was, i.e. I wish it had the 2015 CD in place; I wish it had extra discs of outtakes and live tracks. But for what it is, after all the drama in searching for this set in years past that preceded this release, I think this is worth it.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Mew absolutely mastered the 5.1 mix originally.
    On the corrected 2012 DVD, the 5.1 mix was tweaked a bit and was presented without Mew's mastering.

stevef, Marty T, JulesRules and 5 others like this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

No, it's not fair to say that because we don't know what masterings of the stereo remix and 5.1 will be on the DVD (or the CD). The crux of the issue seems to be that the 5.1 mix was determined to contain errors so that was "fixed" for the replacement DVD...but many of us felt that the mastering of the stereo mix was very unpleasant even if it didn't contain errors per se, and the powers that be presumably felt that it was adequate because the replacement DVD had the same mastering it.

I'm not sure anyone here wants a duplicate of the replacement DVD. A third version of the DVD, with no Mew-mastered content whatsoever, would be better.

Elek.-maxe and JulesRules like this.
  23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

As I have the original book set and obtained the corrected DVD, my assessment is the only aspect I don't have is the non-Mayhew Wilson stereo mix (which I know is currently available on physical CD or HDTracks hi-res download). I just didn't get around to obtaining that, but at this point I suppose it makes sense to wait and find out if the new set will just be a copy of the corrected disc, or if it will contain the non-Mayhew Wilson stereo as well as a 5.1 mastering that differs from both releases to date (the original and the corrected).

This is drifting toward The Who/Doors/Genesis territory where I have to write notes to keep track of what is what :sigh:

24. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Ugh. So much for “memory “.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

10-4 :cop: