Static pop when tonearm lifts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hennie Taljaard, Jun 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hennie Taljaard

Hennie Taljaard Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having this problem on one of my turntables. A vintage Marantz 6170. Whenever the tone arm lifts it happens that at the very moment when the stylus leaves the vinyl surface that there is a noticeable static pop/click noise. I don't recall it always did that but it is something i started noticing a couple of months ago.
    Anyone had the same issue? Or any advice?

2. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

My advice is to not worry about it at all. It is totally normal.

3. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I don't think I've ever NOT heard a click when the stylus lifts off the record.

When I used Rega Bias/Super Bias cartridges I always heard a sort of whooshing/rustling sound for a second or two as the cantilever settled back into it's position after being lifted off the record. You can hear this on the CD of Beck's Odelay - at the point where you'd turn the record over you hear record crackle, then the sound of a stylus being lifted and then put down again for side 2. Maybe Beck had a Rega turntable?

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I just hear a slight pop as it lifts up stylus exiting groove, no electrical static on my model of the 6170 which I adore.

5. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I had a P6 on loan that gave a loudish static pop when I lifted the tonearm at the end of an LP. Since it was on loan, I never worried about and it never really bothered me for the time I had it. Haven't experienced on any other TT though ( including the P6 I owned myself ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.