BI Wire speaker cables to 2 terminal speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Maltman, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man. Thread Starter

I have bi wire speaker cables going into B&W 4 terminal speakers. I want to replace the B&Ws with some ELAC speakers that have 2 terminals. I don't want to run new speaker wire. How do I connect the bi wire cables to the 2 terminal speakers? Any help appreciated.

2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Well-Known Member

Yes, but you will have 2 connectors not connected to anything, you might want to tape them so they do not make contact to anything. Or you put the 4 wires into only 2 plugs.

Maltman likes this.
  3. Maltman

Thanks. I was thinking of taping the extra connectors. I assume there would be no loss of sound quality by having the 2 unconnected connectors. I would pull new wire if I had to, but it's a bit of a process and I'd prefer not to.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

If their spades there might be room to connect both terminals in your binding posts, if not there's connecters to combine two spades or banana's together.

Maltman likes this.
  5. Maltman

Thanks. They are bananas and your suggestion of the combination connectors would be the tidiest solution. I'll see if I can find those. Maybe Amazon.

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Maltman likes this.
  7. Maltman

8. Tajo1960

Yes, that's right!
    You normally insert one pair of cables with bananas into the banana female connector on the Elac speaker.
    You put these adapters on another pair of cables and connect them like forks. You need to unscrew the connector on the speaker a little, put the forks in and screw it back on.
    Put the forks first, then the bananas.

Maltman and Tim 2 like this.
  9. Cote Dazur

No loss of anything, if nothing is connected nothing is going anywhere.

Maltman likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Contact the cable maker and have them reterminate. I have one set of spades at my amp with two separate cables. I just asked them to do it.

Maltman likes this.
  11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Banana splitter or Y-cables would work too, cheap and easy ...

[​IMG]

Maltman and Tajo1960 like this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You would be using approx half the gauge of the cable that way though. You could also clip the existing bananas and combine/twist the reds and blacks together. Put on some new terminations that can accept the new thicker gauge bare ends. This would avoid an extra Y adapter. Later on you could reverse that process if you need bi-wire again.

F1nut and Maltman like this.
  13. Maltman

Thanks, that's what I thought.
    Thanks everyone. My question is answered. I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Steve Hoffman for making this incredible resource available to us. If you have an audio or music related question the answer is here. Many thanks to you all.

14. Tajo1960

Very good; this is (possibly) an even more elegant solution to the "bi-wire -> mono-vire" problem.
    Admittedly, I personally prefer “flat” than “barrel” bananas because the “barrel” type of banana sometimes cracks in the speaker or amplifier terminal. I know 2 such cases.

Maltman likes this.
  15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That's not quite true. He would lose wire gauge. Joining the positive/positive and negative/negative wires then reterminating the ends or using the Y connectors is the better idea.

jonwoody, Maltman and Tajo1960 like this.
  16. Cote Dazur

On very long cable length, yes, is this case no.

17. Tajo1960

Honestly, the best option would be to purchase new mono-wire speaker cables.
    It should be noted that each break of the cable / wire / conductor, each new contact brings a certain signal loss.
    But let a colleague still use their existing cables and everything will be mostly OK :)

timind and Maltman like this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It wouldn't matter if the cable was one inch or 10 feet if half of it isn't used you lose wire gauge.

Tajo1960 likes this.
  19. Cote Dazur

Ok, yes you loose gauge, what matters is not gauge, it is signal, the electricity travelling in the cables and it does not matter for his short runs, because you still have plenty of gauge left, hence you are not loosing anything.
    End of the conversation, if you don't agree, look at the specs of his cable, do the math and prove me wrong.

timind likes this.
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

LOL...

21. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Everyone knows, Trig sounds better than Algebra...! :)

22. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

This seems pretty simple in the short term stacked spades will work, I ran stacked spades briefly when I had to borrow a pair of speaker cables and it worked just fine. In the long term sell your bi-wire cables and get single wire or re-terminate them.

23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

:righton:

StimpyWan likes this.
  24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I was never good at math to make it to Trig but I love the sound of Geometry. :cool:

StimpyWan and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.