Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks for the update.
    Are you onboard @Easy-E ?

longdist01 likes this.
  2. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I just finished watching the Blu-Ray, it's such a major upgrade. For those worried about the audio, don't, it's stunning on the Blu-Ray. I'll be downloading the hi-res from Qobuz in the morning :).

3. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Kinda strange: the album is tagged as 2018 release on both Apple Music and Spotify :confused:

Matthew Tate and mmars982 like this.
  4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, bit odd that one. Either a meta data typo from the label or perhaps the release was originally readied in 2018 but then got deferred.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

So looking forward to receiving the bluray. :goodie:

Aoide and longdist01 like this.
  6. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

For some weird reason the iTunes version has the studio version (from the cradle version) of Motherless Child on it instead of the live version. Has anyone else run into this?

7. crossroads69

Not the case on Apple Music streaming.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. When I didn't see this as the newest release I thought it wasn't on streaming yet. This helped me find it.

Sis+erRay likes this.
  9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have the Blu-Ray and will be ripping the hi-res audio from that tonight or tomorrow to compare and for the tracks not included in the hi-res download (Qobuz), but for now here's this for those interested. Note...Motherless Child in the Qobuz hi-res download is indeed the live Fillmore version:

foobar2000 1.6.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2022-06-24 06:58:04
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Eric Clapton / Nothing But the Blues
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.87 dB 4:20 01-Blues All Day Long (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.81 dB 4:52 02-Standin' Round Crying (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -9.90 dB 4:18 03-Forty-Four (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.05 dB 3:18 04-It Hurts Me Too (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -13.07 dB 5:05 05-Early in the Morning (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -9.63 dB 5:22 06-Five Long Years (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.25 dB 6:19 07-Crossroads (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR14 -0.10 dB -17.20 dB 2:46 08-Malted Milk Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.78 dB 3:25 09-Motherless Child (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR11 -0.10 dB -12.85 dB 3:25 10-How Long Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.39 dB 3:40 11-Reconsider Baby (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.95 dB 3:50 12-Sinner's Prayer (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 0.00 dB -9.75 dB 4:50 13-Everyday I Have the Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -9.93 dB 3:44 14-Someday After a While (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.27 dB 6:52 15-Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR10 0.00 dB -10.43 dB 3:25 16-I'm Tore Down (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.01 dB 7:10 17-Groaning the Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    Number of tracks: 17
    Official DR value: DR10
    Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3208 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you!

jhm likes this.
  11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’ll be getting the BluRay and vinyl set by the end of play today, nice….

12. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Same. Both out for delivery with Amazon as we speak. I'm pretty nervous about the latter, having been really excited for 'Lady in the Balcony' only for the vinyl to be a total mess.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It is happening on Spotify as well. Really strange, because the live Motherless Child was released as a single already. I made a playlist to put it where it should be.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

If BR audio is "stunning" why download the hi res from Q?

marcb, Aoide and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Just ordered this Blu-Ray and the LP. Blu-Ray will be delivered tomorrow. LP sometime in August. First LP I have bought this year.

IMO this time period is the pinnacle of EC's work. Cradle, Johnson, King are his high water mark for me. I also have the DVD of Sessions which if you are a guitar player who loves the Robert Johnson blues it is essential.

The only way to trump this Blu-Ray would be a 4k UHD.

16. crossroads69

Blu-ray has arrived and wow, probably the skinniest packaging I have seen in a long time! No booklet or liner notes, just a disc slipped inside a very thin card paper sleeve.

I guess I’ve been spoiled by Pink Floyd’s Pulse Blu-ray packaging this week and this epic EC release deserved better IMO.

Now onto the good stuff - the film itself! Just watched quick preview track and wow, the quality looks amazing! No dedicated 5.1 track, but a Dolby Atmos mix.

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Actually, the single appears to be the studio version as well, even though it says "Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994" ?!?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Hell yes mastered Chris Bellman baby. Happy camper.

jhm and longdist01 like this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Amazon just knocked on my door with the Cd set...right into the player.
    Sounds wonderful, and not being previously familiar with it, even more.

ropiyas, crossroads69 and longdist01 like this.
  20. stlblues

stlblues Forum Resident

It's on Apple Music in Atmos;
    Sounds wonderful

Bossyman and longdist01 like this.
  21. Ragged Glory

Mine has just arrived as well and I thought the exact same - it's so thin! My last Blu-ray purchase was the recent Prince Live release and was expecting something more like that for this one. Oh well, that's not the most important thing of course. Having bought no vinyl for a month, I've had a total of 6 new releases and online RSD purchases all arrive today, so I'm not sure I'll get round to this set this evening. It's like Christmas come early/late. I'll definitely aim to get it on this weekend however.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The images for pre-orders really seem to be misleading as far as the packaging:

[​IMG]

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes the packaging was terrible but contents great.

24. Ragged Glory

Haha! Yes, it looks NOTHING like that in reality...

Oh well, the audio/video is what we're paying for.

Matthew Tate, longdist01 and mmars982 like this.
  25. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I’ve seen so many where the opposite was true. I’ll take this any day. It a good booklet would be nice.