"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

2. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Going to see it today and will be curious to see how they handle the Priscilla age thing. Next to the culture vulture crap this is the next most used way to diminish Elvis, as a pedo. With Jerry Lee, he was just crazy but Elvis was a pedo.

3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It is mentioned that Priscilla is a teenager. I don't remember her exact age when they met is mentioned, but it is said very late in the movie that she is 10 years younger than him.

RSteven likes this.
  4. RSteven, MRamble and raveoned like this.
  5. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I'm amazed and happy to see so much promotion for this movie! I'm going to give blood (platelets) next week, and the Red Cross has a promotion this month where someone will win a trip to Graceland and a movie promo Epiphone guitar. I usually give blood, but that was an incentive to do it now!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

An ex-girlfriend had to teach me how and I'm eternally grateful to her for that.

As is my wife.

7. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

RSteven likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was 19, but then I'm a lot younger than Elvis, and young women of my generation knew what they wanted and deserved. As did Cybill Shepherd.

mark winstanley and D-rock like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just after seeing it.
    Both Hanks and Butler excellent.
    An emotional hayride, plenty razzmatazz!!!

Sebastian, Brian Mc, MRamble and 4 others like this.
  10. alexpop

Last Picture Show was excellent. Yep .. a cutie.

RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. My local Century theater shows movies for $5.98 every Tuesday so I just ordered my ticket. Even with a convenience fee - and factoring in the Amazon Prime $5 credit - I’m paying $2.31 to see it again. Might want to see if any Century theaters in your area have similar Tuesday pricing.

Chris DeVoe, RSteven and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

The cinema I wanted to see the film, the screening was cancelled, problem with the projector or something ( that was a first)… made a dash to a smaller arty cinema, there was me, an adult male, a girl 18 from Texas ( who I spoke to later ).. and a male/female couple .. I was sitting right down the front to immerse myself in the film. And yes
    ..All shook up:)

13. alexpop

Austin Butler was a revelation, very charismatic , the camera loved him. No wonder the Presley family were in awe!!!!!!

garyt1957, Shawn, raveoned and 3 others like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I call that a steal. My daughter saw the Elvis movie again last night with her husband and sister. She said she would like to see it again. And her husband (not a big Elvis fan before seeing it twice) asked her, "So when is the Elvis movie coming out on Blu-ray or 4K?

15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Wow, this thread topic now has over 40,000 views and almost 1,500 replies. It is now 60 pages long. I think this speaks well for the success of the movie.

laf848, 905, mark winstanley and 5 others like this.
  16. And while Rotten Tomatoes has yet to aggregate audience scores a casual scroll through the audience ratings indicate it’s being very well received! It’s a nice time to be an Elvis fan - for once he’s getting mentioned all over the place in respectful tones.

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Did we actually ever think we were going to live long enough to ever see this day, my friend?

jeremylr, 905, GillyT and 6 others like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis movie is off to a good start with the special Tuesday and Thursday showings earning over $3.5 million dollars. It is beating out the Black Phone as well right now.

Warner Bros’ Baz Luhrmann-directed Elvis has grossed $3.5 million from all previews off 3,400 locations, which includes Tuesday fan events and Thursday night’s showtimes. Meanwhile, Universal/Blumhouse’s The Black Phone took in $3 million from showtimes that began at 5 p.m. yesterday at 2,800 sites.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    MRamble, raveoned and Shawn like this.
  19. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

In one interview, Baz Luhrmann said that he wanted to show people Elvis, the man, instead of Elvis, the Halloween costume. This was the biopic I've wanted for Elvis, showing him in a more realistic tone, as opposed to the "chosen one" style. You get the humble boy who was shaped and formed by music and religion of all kinds, growing into someone who took those influences and distilled them his own way, into the person who ended up being manipulated by manager and father with no regard for his own health.

You see the human and superhuman here, and I couldn't ask for better.

garyt1957, alexpop, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe and Shawn like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I want this movie to be #1 so bad. I hope it hits $35 million for the weekend.

905, Grand_Ennui, garyt1957 and 3 others like this.
  22. artfromtex

For pre-sales, my local theater had it showing on one screen. Now it is on three screens, including their largest auditorium. That's a good sign, I think.

905 and RSteven like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am really hoping for that as well. I really think it is going to over perform, but I am always the optimist when it comes to Elvis, Lol.

garyt1957, alexpop and artfromtex like this.
  24. RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  25. artfromtex

Warner Bros’ Elvis is the headline act in 742 cinemas across the UK and Ireland this weekend – the latest post-pandemic title to break the 700-location barrier.

It usurps Top Gun: Maverick’s 737 screens from May as the fifth-widest opening of all time in the territory.

RSteven and Shawn like this.