The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

uzn007, ARK, audiotom and 3 others like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

LandHorses likes this.
  3. LandHorses

The Warlocks playing “Mystic Eyes” in 1965……I’d love to hear a recording of that.

ARK, adamos, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  4. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

I hope I don’t get in trouble for this link, Panicstream used to have a similar comp.

ARK likes this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

At Veneta, BTW starts "Bringing me 'round/The cloverleaf town..."

adamos, Panama Hotel and KCWhistle like this.
  6. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I forgot about that. Was that a weird one-off?

bzfgt likes this.
  7. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

8/5/74 this afternoon. I listened to 8/4 yesterday, both just incredible. I've heard DiP 31, but these two are fantastic top to bottom, and the flow of the shows and context somehow makes the highlights higher. Whole > Sum of the Parts thing. I am skipping Seastones on this tour through Summer 74. 6/23/74 (Dap 34) is the only Seastones I've listened to the entirety of, but that was due to some extreme couch lock. I'm sure I'll listen to them all eventually. Looking forward to 8/6 next. Great way to start the weekend!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

As far as I know. I noticed it yesterday, and didn't recall it from when I listened to all of 1972 a couple years ago. I hadn't mentioned it in my notes. I think if it happened repeatedly I would have noticed it/noted it, but who knows...the first couple lines of that song often seem a little mumbly.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

At the shows right before and after Veneta Weir sings the usual line "I'm running aground."

Paperback Writer, bzfgt and KCWhistle like this.
  10. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

In case anyone is passing through and wants a couple Road Trips (the Real Gone reissue versions) deals - FYE in El Paso has Vol 4 no 1 (1969) and vol 4 no 2 (1988) for about 16 and 13 bucks respectively.

They are in the 75% off green stickered bin priced at 65 and 53ish or so.

Bargains!

Edit - they are sealed, new by the looks of them.

ARK and Bananas&blow like this.
  11. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

8/5/74 Truckin'>Stella :eek: :) :winkgrin:

12. JoshD

JoshD Forum Resident

And all this time I thought he sang "a cloverleaf down". I guess "the cloverleaf town" makes more sense.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Is there a list of “old weird America” tunes somewhere?

mBen989 likes this.
  14. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

I like this list and you can listen to it as well. ;)

[​IMG]

uzn007, adamos, Bananas&blow and 12 others like this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Trying to master the Dead is a Sisyphean quest. Those who claim to have done so are only claiming in Bad Faith. But once you start down that golden road there really is No Exit. Soon the Metamorphosis will be complete and a Stranger you will be no more. If “hell is other people”, might as well enjoy the ride.

Bananas&blow, SJR, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  16. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Start with Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music. If that gets you going, there’s a world of things you can look into: Child Ballads, the Alan Lomax archives, or folk revival traditionalists like the New Lost City Ramblers.

17. jeff1818

jeff1818 Forum Resident

I picked up another (via nugs) Dicks Picks this week. This one is #34 - 11/5/77. I'm liking this one a lot! Love the St. Stephen > Truckin' from 11/2. Great fall '77 sound.

Bananas&blow, adamos, Bruso and 5 others like this.
  18. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Listening to this show right now, BTW is on as we speak.
    PITB, Bird Song, and Dark Star are excellent jams.

Also listened to 5/5/77 earlier. I feel like this is a show that is not discussed much and overlooked when compared to other shows around it. I found it pretty enjoyable, if a little short, but that sort of works in its favor. The Scarlet>Fire in the 2nd set is a great jam.

Bananas&blow, adamos, Bruso and 5 others like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Hey, @LandHorses what’s the Cuyahoga Falls ‘85 show like? Is it worth a listen?

A Day Tripper opener has piqued my interest, but the last Dead show I listened to with a Beatles song, was erm, poor to say the least!

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

By the way, I second third fourth fifth liter Magnum handle and Jeroboam any and all recommendations for the Anthology of American Folk Music.

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow, adamos, Bruso and 9 others like this.
  21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is (a double-header!) Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs, KS, 24-25/06/91.

[​IMG]

I’ll say right now, I’m totally digging Summer 1991. I mentioned the other day, the Dead sound rejuvenated—a sense of fun and feel-good vibes permeate through (my stereo) and the playing is tight, though some may argue the sound is too busy and too cluttered with all the instruments jostling and fighting for their place in the mix—I mean there were two drummers, two keyboardists, Jerry’s array of MIDI-effects, Bobby’s harsh(er) tone and histrionics, and Phil being well, Phil.

Though this chemistry created a cacophony of sound, it did highlight some exceptional and exploratory band interplay, and I’m down with it.

Also, the set lists are really quite something—with a little bit of everything sprinkled throughout, they’re surely a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.

Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs, KS, 24/06/91:

[​IMG]

Opening with a mammoth 30-minute H>S>F which is just plain ridonkulous—it exudes joy and playfulness in abundance, especially Franklin’s which is a buoyant, booming beast that’s so melodic with a such killer groove and breezy piano riff that goes on and on and on … an outrageously good way to kick-off proceedings; sway to the smooth-rolling, loping groove of rarity It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry—I’m a sucker for this tune, love the Dylan original; things get serious with a powerful, towering Althea; and an all-guns-blazin’ Promised Land set-closer.

There’s something for everyone in that 1st set, whether it be the opening psychedelic-jazz trifecta, the sultry blues duo, a rippin’ cowboy pairing, the dark heart “ballad,” or a rousing Chuck Berry rocker. Sweet stuff.

2nd set opener China > Rider is highly-energetic—its enthusiasm is infectious with what sounds like a million ideas springing forth from all sides—it features a sparkling, super-jammy transition; the space-jazz funk of Estimated with weird saxophone effects, melts into the first Supplication Jam since 1986—“whoo!” … then out into a very fine UJB—a serious jam-fest; it’s not quite the face-melting TOO of yore, it’s rather more melodic which builds in intensity to an explosion before it yields to a dramatic and dynamic Morning Dew—I really love this combo, though it occurred not nearly enough—it’s the sound of the apocalypse, the emerging from the bunker after a nuclear blast to survey the world outside; then, the first Around And Around encore since 1978!

That was fantastic.

I: Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower, C.C. Rider > It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry, Me And My Uncle > Big River, Althea > Promised Land.

II: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Estimated Prophet > Supplication Jam > Uncle John’s Band > Drums > Space > The Other One > Morning Dew.

E: Around And Around.

[​IMG]

Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs, KS, 25/06/91:

There’s amateur video of this one on YouTube.

Ok, whoa … this Jack Straw opener is mental—once they hit the home stretch with that heavy and thunderous jamming … jeez, this smokes—massive energy, here and I think Phil has just blown my speakers—an incredible version; Sugaree is busy with everyone getting down and melding well together, the added accordion is a nice, melodic touch though it’s quite prominent in the mix which might put some off; there seems to be a “blues” theme mid-set with Memphis/Tennessee strongly represented—I had to double check where we were … yep, “we’re still in Kansas, Toto” Walkin’ Blues really gets cookin’; “look out, look out” … a brisk and bouncy Candyman is in town; Stuck Inside Of Mobile … gets the “Dylan” slot—it’s a fine reading; and a jubilant Jed; a smokin’ The Music Never Stopped builds and peaks with an ecstatic climax, bringing a sweet 1st set to a close. Hot stuff.

Well, damn … a humongous Scarlet > Fire opens the 2nd set—full of MIDI sounds and effects (trumpet and flute), it’s a wonderfully fluid and free-flowing behemoth with a glorious, unhurried transition jam that unfurls and blooms beautifully into an incendiary Fire—this is ridiculously f u c k i n g crazy good highlighting some extraordinary band interplay, especially Vince’s keys work during Scarlet. Goosebumps. I’d never heard this until today, and my face has been stolen—surely this a well-known version?; “whoa-oh” … back-to-back blues with Truckin’ > Smokestack Lightning (I excitedly noted this yesterday after listening to that ‘85 show, and whaddya know, it shows up again)—though Truckin’ doesn’t quite whip up into an off-the-rails frenzy, it’s huge and booming and rockin’ enough that effortlessly transitions into a deep and dirty Smokestack which grooves with swaggering confidence—a cool version; a gorgeously mellow He’s Gone features a wonderful, lengthy outro jam that rolls into; an immersive, totally engaging Drums > Space; you can hear it teased through Space … please, please … and then it appears in all its majestic glory … a heartfelt Comes A Time—this is devastatingly beautiful, I didn’t realise this was a rarity during the ‘90s, only the second of just five versions played; a rollicking GDTRFB is pure unbridled madness—a breathlessly exciting and energetic barn burner; Good Lovin’ is smooth and chill, with island-type vibes going on; I love a Baby Blue encore—this is super-sweet, I think it is now my favourite show-capper.

A rockin’ good time. Jeez, there’s not much between them—both shows were very good and highly enjoyable. A pretty, pretty, pretty good twofer.

Thanks again for the recommendations, @Crispy Rob and @trd — is it worth checking out tour-closer, Denver?

I: Jack Straw > Sugaree, Walkin’ Blues, Candyman, Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped.

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Truckin’ > Smokestack Lightning > He’s Gone > Drums > Space > Comes A Time > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Good Lovin’.

E: It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes.

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha ha! You dig these shows, too? Were you there?!

Ah, you mean it’s worth checking out Denver.

24. LandHorses

It's really good........a small notch below Riverbend and the 4 shows afterwards.......but Summer 85 is like Spring 90, one of those tours that was magical night after night. "Day Tripper" is fun. Love the pre-drums.

6/25/85 was the day I graduated high school (and then went to SPAC 2 days later).

25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Elitist.

ARK, KCWhistle, Eyes74 and 1 other person like this.