Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    or, the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Rogue One.

2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah, while I don't think the execution was spot on everywhere in this series, I did appreciate that line, something rather satisfying about it.

Wonderful geek stuff here but I'm sure Kenobi will always feel some guilt about Anakin, and certainly feels the loss of his friend (and so many other friends, oh and the loss of democracy in the galaxy, the overall failure of the Jedi...) But having Vader claim that he killed Anakin himself ends up rightly absolving Kenobi of some of his guilt - and after all, everybody in this saga is suffering from the hand of destiny to some degree anyway, and the downfall of everything was kind of all the Jedis' fault for not seeing it coming. There's still a line in Return of the Jedi ("I thought I could train him as well as Yoda...I was wrong...") that suggests Kenobi takes on the blame. But I like the idea that after the events of this series, he has healed a bit, which explains why he's got his Force back and he's chilling with Ghost Qui-gon and so on. Again I'm not sure if it was spot on, but I think the events of this series, particularly that last episode, better set up the Kenobi we see in the original film, a wiser more meditative Jedi again who has an appropriate level of detachment again. It also helps explain his original lines like "he's more machine than man" and his original trilogy attitude that Anakin no longer exists and that Vader must simply be defeated.

PhoffiFozz and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I didn't like it either. They probably should have killed her off after her 'redemption' situation concluded.

vegafleet and Nipper like this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I said I wouldn't pick nits, but I have two kids around the same age as they say Leia is (10 years), and she seemed more like an 8 year old to me.

Quick look on Wiki and I guess she/Vivien Lyra Blair was 9 at the time of filming.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Which is the problem.

6. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I loved the series. I’d only change the scene where Kenobi sees Qui-Gon Jinn. I was expecting a more emotional/uplifting encounter as opposed to a casual one. After a all, you’re seeing someone special in your life who’s back from death.

Nipper and vegafleet like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the only issue with that is that Obi-Wan has communed with Qui-Gon before:

So it's not a new experience as much as a reunion after a period of PTSD and depression.

GentleSenator and SRC like this.
  8. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

The finale was great only thing was I got the idea from the movies the most interesting thing to happen to Luke before becoming a Jedi was seeing space battles, real or imaginary, through his binoculars. Being chased by an Inquisitor seems a stretch. And I never got the idea he had met Old Ben before. I guess that's two things and I could probably go on but won't. Overall the series was good give or take.

9. My 16-year-old and I both loved the Episode VI conclusion. Really enjoyed this series.

PhoffiFozz, Nipper, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

I got the opposite impression; this series explains how he knows who Old Ben was, to be able to talk about him enough for his uncle to dismiss Obi-Wan as "a crazy old man".

PhoffiFozz, FACE OF BOE, SRC and 2 others like this.
  11. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Seriously, this is just a question: what holes were there until this series filled them? I mean, we got the epic battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin in Episode III, right? What did this latest battle accomplish that is not there in Revenge of the Sith?

For me, there are two things we were told in the films about this period in Obi-Wan's life: 1) that he had more training to do to learn how to commune with Qui-Gon Jinn (Episode III) and 2) that he was "crusading" ("Your uncle didn't want you to follow me on some damn-fool, idealistic crusade") (Episode IV). The series didn't deliver on either of these promises, because I would not consider finding Leia as "some damn-fool, idealistic crusade," and bumping into Qui-Gon on the desert road does not qualify as communing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Ivand likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I thought it was all Terrific!
    Sign me up for another series.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I realize not everyone will consider these "gaping holes", more like filling in pieces of the puzzle. With this series, we learned:
    • Why did Owen have animosity for Obi-Wan in Ep IV?
    • How did Vader get that deep head scar we see in Ep VI?
    • Was Obi-Wan really in 'hermit mode' the entire time on Tatooine between Ep III and IV?
    • Were there any other Jedis or youngling survivors after Ep III? (I'm talking about movie 'canon', I can't keep track of the animated stuff)
    • How did Leia get her spunky attitude and "non-princess" behavior traits?

PhoffiFozz and Curveboy like this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I liked it too. I'm not a Star Wars scholar so I don't know a thing about the plot holes but I thought the series was entertaining.

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Same here! and I'm going to keep it that way.
    I can thoroughly enjoy it on that level without 'nitpicking' the storyline to pieces and overthink it.

16. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I thought the exchange of dialogue between Obi Wan and Vader/Anakin (“I’m sorry”, “I’m what remains” etc.) carried more emotional heft than their exchanges at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

PhoffiFozz, FACE OF BOE, SRC and 6 others like this.
  17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I was just thrilled to see Vader get his ass thoroughly kicked and gave his face exposed under the mask. I mean yeah, we saw him maskless at the end of ROTJ, but it was pretty anticlimactic. And the actor didn’t ever feel right to me. He was just an old guy. I think that scene in Kenobi defines Vader. Powerful and terrifying on the surface, but broken, weak and self-pitying shell of a man underneath.

I agree that Episode IV sticks out like a sore thumb against every other Star Wars entity as far as story goes. Anakin and Vader were still two distinct people up until the second or third draft of Episode V. George Lucas did have a lot of the backstory already (ie senator Palpatine, the Sith). But he cut a lot of that from the shooting script of Episode IV, so it feels detached from everything else.

18. Dr. J.

Here are my answers with the least amount of sarcasm I can muster :
    • Why did Owen have animosity for Obi-Wan in Ep IV?
      • Because he bought a toy spaceship for Luke, apparently.
    • How did Vader get that deep head scar we see in Ep VI?
    [​IMG]
    • Was Obi-Wan really in 'hermit mode' the entire time on Tatooine between Ep III and IV?
      • No, he often went on damn-fool idealistic crusades.
    • Were there any other Jedis or youngling survivors after Ep III? (I'm talking about movie 'canon', I can't keep track of the animated stuff)
      • Yes, because Rebels showed us some of them, which is canon.
    • How did Leia get her spunky attitude and "non-princess" behavior traits?
      • She is a Disney princess like Elsa and Rey who comes ready-made with powers.

19. Dr. J.

Yes, I agree that was the best part of the series. And then Obi-Wan walks away, again, because it shows he still has faith in the prophecy and hope that Anakin will bring balance to the force.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the series. So much better than Boba Fett.

mmars982 likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Loved it and i actually thought Boba Fett was a fun show. ! I think some peeps take some of this stuff way too serious. They are meant to be entertaining and they certainly have done it ! I do not think either needs a second season. What They did , is just right on these — especially Obi Wan.
    I have a feeling we will see more of Boba in The Mandorlian which is an amazing show. !

also I am glad we got Kenobi as a TV show rather than a movie. Much better character development/story and time to do that .. rather than stuff it all into a 2 hour film :)

PhoffiFozz, Ivand and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Just finished the series and thought it was fantastic. I’m just a casual Star Wars fan, and it was very enjoyable to watch.

23. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Damn, I started to read the comments posted after the final episode aired and I had to stop; too much negativity.
    Some of y’all sounded a bit like the Comic Shop guy from the Simpsons.

24. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Did Kenobi lure him, though? Really? True, Kenobi flew there but it was Vader's choice to follow. Alone. Could've taken half a Star Destroyer with him. Hell, could've sent down half the Star Destroyer and get them to bring him back.

That was just one example of lazy plotting. There were plenty more.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Too much blind fandom positivity as far as I am concerned. This show was really was really bad on a number of levels (very badly written and directed and some poor acting plus a seeming total disregard for established canon).

How people can come on here and say it was great is beyond me. It's like saying your favourite Clash album is Cut The Crap. No valid opinion at all.

If you say 'I know it wasn't great but I enjoyed it and had some fun for what it was' then fair enough, I can respect that, but no-one can objectively think it's a great tv show.

The most pathetic thing I have seen is fans desperately trying to justify lots of dumb **** and coming up with some ludicrous 'explanation' as to why x or y happened. Like a saw an article on that dumb escape thing with Leia hid under his coat and they claimed the reason they got out was that it was a reflection of how stormtroopers ignored it in case they got killed in the resulting fight if they alerted anyone. I mean it's hilarious.

It's getting to the point now that I think Disney are either paying people to say things or getting employees to pretend to be members of the public.

An example of what I mean is this article on Screenrant:

Thor Miles Morales is Marvel's Best New Character In Years (screenrant.com)

Now this is nonsense as the comic has been met with near universal hatred and anger for being racist and stereotyping. The writer has even had to come out and apologise:

"While I've lived a different experience through my own Jewish and Mexican background, I still know inauthenticity hurts, and I'm sorry this failed on that front," Mercado wrote in a statement on Twitter on Wednesday. "I've appreciated hearing from my Black and Puerto Rican comics peers and hope to use this moment to help promote better authenticity."

Mercado also said that he would donate his pay from Marvel to the Brooklyn Book Bodega charity, which aims to provide books to youth in New York City.

So how can a really really awful piece of work get an article like that? It can only be one thing.

We do deserve better than the mostly bad product Disney has been putting out under the SW name. I say that as someone who joined the SW Official Fan Club in 1978, so I don't hate SW, I just really want good SW. Rebels was very good once it got going and is the best SW product under Disney, along with those final 4 episodes of the the Clone Wars and the first season of Mando. But the films and tv shows have not been good and it needs to be said. Sorry.

Isolar801 likes this.