Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Present/Sur La Mer, once about 15 years ago. Both came home with me :laugh:

2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

That's excellent with the 'expensive' LPs taken out - of course.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    mikemoon likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You'd get $2 each in Denver. Low ballers.

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I disagree. Only dumb and clueless pay that, the kind of current newbies who don't even care (or don't know better) to take the record out of the cover and check the condition. I see that all the time lately. And dealers of course happy to prey on people like that, that's the main reason why prices rising IMO.

elgoodo likes this.
  5. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

You think that's disorienting........I remember when brand new copies were $5 or less (and I was already grown up) !! (Which means I am pretty old now.)

51IS likes this.
  6. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

Sabbath, particularly US WB presses. $5-10 for many years)
    Steely Dan (I paid approx $12 for all 7 studio lps)
    Motley Crue (TFFL is $60 now)
    Bowie (routinely found these for $10 or less back in the day)
    Heart (wife likes em now but I can't find their 70s lps anywhere)

Flip side:
    Beatles US records are pretty stagnant
    Bee Gees early lps used to be $15-20, can't give them away now
    ESP freak rock (Fugs, Godz) seem to be more common/forgotten these days

ARK, hi_watt and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  7. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I was also surprised to see Pentangle and Pearls Before Swine lps readily available in the bins at multiple stores in the last year. They weren't terribly easy to find years ago.

Also Van Halen lps, wow. VH II, never a favorite, is $30 or so.

8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Today at the flea market on Upper West Side - Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" common as dirt US pressing - $35. Wow :eek: !

bluesky, idledreamer, Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Sparks albums in general seem to going for much higher prices. I tried to buy a copy of Big Beat recently and it was very difficult to find a copy under $40. A Woofer in Tweeters Clothing has become really scarce.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wish I had a consignment record space in the Big Apple.

ARK, Sean, lazydawg58 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Everything I want seems to be $50

Sean, ODShowtime and steviej like this.
  12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I brought 2 boxes of pretty well picked over stuff into a shop last year and was shocked when he offered me $200 store credit. That same shop only offered me $25 credit for 5 boxes of stuff I had brought in years earlier, and that had some nice Beatles and Zeppelin items in it.

ARK and bluesky like this.
  13. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I had this argument with someone on another forum. I'm here in Massachusetts. Tracy isn't from here originally but Boston is where she made her musical start so most of the early purchasers would have been in this region. Her s/t record is not all that rare here and all three copies I have and all the copies my friends have all came from thrift shops. Because of that we never really paid attention to the online prices but, it has been selling for quite a bit for a very long time. Just look at the history of it on Popsike. Even shop owners I am friendly with haven't realized how sought after it is. One I know had something like a dozen copies in their basement they had slowly been selling off in the bins for $5 a pop. But put them up on Discogs for $50 each and sold every single one of them.

caravan70, ARK and hi_watt like this.
  14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Steely Dan records are a LOT higher than I ever would have expected them to get. It’s to the point where if I see any of them for under $10 I’ll usually pick them up, and I’m not even really a SD fan.

US Led Zeppelin LPs are really getting up there. It used to be all of them were under $30 for clean early pressings, and $20 for later 70s reissues. Now they’re $30-$70 each in nice condition.

Another thing I’m starting to get alarmed by the pricing of is new wave. Devo, Blondie, Talking Heads etc. rarely do I see clean copies under $30 each for the more sought after albums now. Used to be they were all ~$15 or less for any new wave album you could find. I suppose it’s because more people are collecting that era of music now, as the Boomer era stuff gets less popular.

misteranderson, ARK and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  15. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd be surprised if anyone is actually buying Moody Blues records for $20, I think it's a misunderstanding of the market, as you say.

16. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Called into the local charity/goodwill store on Saturday and Chas and Dave (a novelty London band) albums were priced at £5.10 each :eek:... They don't sell at 50p in other stores (in poor condition as well).

17. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Same in UK although we see less Chicago probably.

18. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Good Grief, thats crazy. Their early lps on 'Rockney' maybe, at a push - but the later cartoony medley ones - 50p max.

mc7t likes this.
  19. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Those were the ones.... The medley albums with the cartoon covers... Johnny Mathis and Nana Mouskouri were priced the same, along with various top of the pops cover version albums.

andy obrien likes this.
  20. Love Is Like Oxidation

Love Is Like Oxidation Forum Resident

That's my inclination. They still appear to be under $10 in stores around here, but occasionally someone selling at a flea market (along with all their random household crap) thinks they can cash in on the vinyl craze. Same people will have fair+ copies of Beatles records for absurd sums.

bibijeebies likes this.
  21. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

That does raise a good point: Some Girls was released in 1978. If new copies were $5 in 1978, adjusted for inflation, they'd be $22.42 in 2022 dollars. A new copy on Amazon currently goes for $21.63...meaning that a new copy of Some Girls is actually cheaper today than when it came out!

(I know this doesn't take into account scarcity/censored covers/editions, etc.)

ARK and Stone Turntable like this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Sheesh. I bought a NM/NM one a few years ago for no less than €1...

23. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

£5 for Nana Mouskouri albums? :confused: Nothing against her but I doubt they are sought after LPs, I can see why Tracy Chapman or Steely Dan would be.

A rare good find I had in a charity shop about 3 or 4 years ago were the first 4 Bunnymen albums for £5 each. Not the complete bargain £1 jobs but not bad.

The only charity shop in Swindon that really sells vinyl any more (that I'm aware of) have upped their prices recently, but on the plus side they do tend to have a more interesting selection.

mc7t likes this.
  24. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

The value of the Bunnymen is going the same way as other Indie acts, New Order, Mode etc - upwards! I saw a knackered copy of 'Crocodiles' in an Amersham chazza a few months back. Picked it up, had a quick gander, guessed £5, knowing that they would put the price up. Turned it over, there's a whacking great (unremovable) price sticker for £20. (Its probably still there)

ARK and Leepal like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just checked and I have an inherited Nana Mouskouri on the French Impact label all sung in French. That should fetch at least 50p! It's in pile for Ebay so will see if anyone will cough up a fiver.

mc7t and Leepal like this.