"The Bear" new original series on FX/ Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jun 23, 2022.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

This is fantastic! Stars Jeremy Allen White from Shameless as a high end chef who comes back to take over the family Chicago sandwich joint. Watched the first couple of episodes and everything about it is wonderful. Very realistic kitchen scenes, lots of tension, etc. Great supporting cast, wonderful writing.

Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

And here I was hoping it was about this guy.
    [​IMG]

3. sberger

You spend too much time in this place.

Amnion, trumpet sounds and Myke like this.
  4. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

This looks a lot like Boiling Point, the 2021 one-take film starring the brilliant Stephen Graham as a chef.

DementedAvenger and Bruce Racket like this.
  5. sberger

Haven’t seen Boiling Point yet but from its description I would agree that there are similarities.

6. sberger

Honestly this is my favorite show I've seen this year, and it's already been a great year for TV, IMO.

timind and D-rock like this.
  7. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

It's pretty well done and avoids the over-played Chicago cliches for the most part.

I will say that locating the restaurant in current day River North is pretty ridiculous as that area has been thoroughly gentrified for a decade.

Shawn likes this.
  8. sberger

They do mention at least a couple of times how the neighborhood is changing and in once scene show a bar that has recently been shut down so I think there is at least some attention paid to that. But it's interesting nonetheless that I haven't read from any reviewer how they blew it on that.

D-rock likes this.
  9. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

10. sberger

Well, I haven't been to Chicago, ever, so this doesn't matter to me one bit.

But being from Boston, and having spent a lot of time in other places like NYC and San Francisco I've watched other shows that took fictional liberty with details similar to those cities and again it's just not important to me as long as the main thrust of the show is as good as this one is. It's a tv show. Is the story good, is the acting good? Is it believable? For me yes on all the above.

alan967tiger, D-rock and Spitfire like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Born and raised there, 1958-1972, my son suggested this series to me, and I enjoyed it as I was looking to be entertained and not doing a research paper on accuracy.
    Also, I've now added South Side to my list on HBO Max.

Favorite Chicago moment(s) on a TV show : Gladstone Bakery being mentioned twice on ER. :love:

D-rock and sberger like this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

True. I mean, for every show like Cheers, which presents a realistic view of a functioning neighborhood bar in Boston, you have a bunch of wannabes.

13. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

The story's fine. The acting is excellent across the board. It's not particularly believable, imo, and of course that's fine (I'm going to watch episode 7 tonight...).

Should you ever find yourself in Chicago do try Mr. Beef on Orleans. It's a pretty good example of a classic Italian beef sandwich (although I'm more partial to Johnnie's in Elmwood Park myself).

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. sberger

I assume you're being humorous. Right?

15. sberger

Having worked in those types of restaurants, with several folks like those in the show, I find it very believable and realistic.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

:D

sberger likes this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Watched 6(?) episodes last night. It was so realistic that at some point I felt like I was watching a documentary.

I did enough time in a kitchen in high school that a lot of it rang true.

I'm not sure the explosion of online orders on day one of their new system was entirely believable though.

timind likes this.
  18. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Did everybody see Molly Ringwald in episode 3?

19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Wow, I did NOT recognize her.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  20. sberger

While I agree that the online order scene was a little out of ordinary, I've been witness to takeout system insanity that was similar to that, especially with new restaurants. For the sake of why they had this happen to show how damaged the main character is I was ok with it.

Myke likes this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

My wife and I argued about whether or not that was her for a while until I looked it up (and found out she was right).

D-rock and trumpet sounds like this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

In a way I want a season 2, but then again...who wants to watch the restaurant to get gentrified and expensive?

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Helluva show.

Started a little slow for me, but caught fire quickly.

Not very often we see new quality programs like this.

Highly recommended. Bring on season 2.

D-rock, sberger and trumpet sounds like this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We just started it last night after watching an episode of The Old Man. Looks interesting and will give it a further whirl.

25. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

That’s pretty funny - my wife and I started watching The Bear last night and planned to watch our first episode of The Old Man. However we liked The Bear so much we watched 3 episodes instead and called it a night.

timind, D-rock and trumpet sounds like this.