Flux hi fi electronic stylus cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by plastico, Aug 24, 2020.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Flux has suspiciously disappeared from everywhere in the US.

2. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

Right? Was wanting one, after worrying my onzow was leaving residue, now what?

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Hudson HiFi? Mine works great and you can’t beat the price.

4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Yes I found that out in another thread related to this topic within the last week or some. This is a very recent development and I apologize for the misinformation. I was on several websites in late May looking for accessories for a Klaudio ultrasonic record cleaning machine. The FLUX and it's cleaning fluid were shown in the search results or suggestions. Interestingly the bottles of the FLUX fluid were still for sale by Music Direct. I would think that the reason related to its disappearing in the US would not be for problems with the device or there would have been news of it somewhere: "FLUX-gate".

I looked just now and Amazon.UK no longer sells it either. Interesting. I also just looked on the Flux website and the only countries they are listed in right now are Germany & Austria. With everything going on in the world right now perhaps no one wants to be a distributer for a pricey device with a relatively small market and many Chinese competitors.

5. plastico

plastico Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought mine at Analogue Seduction in the UK. It was a smooth transaction.
    Cheers, Doug

Xander2017 and Andy Saunders like this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Flux is back in stock in Music Direct.

7. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Same here- in fact every transaction from AS has been prompt, hassle free- one of the good guys.:)

plastico likes this.
  8. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

9. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I am looking to order this and was wondering how long the original fluid bottle lasted. I am considering ordering an extra bottle of fluid, but didn't know if it was necessary.

Thanks for any help.

10. plastico

I used half of the bottle since August 2020.
    Cheers, Doug

Swann36 and Xander2017 like this.
  11. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Thanks Doug!

12. plastico

No problemo !
    Cheers, Doug

13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

After procrastinating for a long, long time, I eventually bought one via a dealer on Amazon.de. It doesn't look much for the price I paid (€137 delivered) and it didn't even include batteries or the 'sticky' feet (?) that can be used to hold it in place on the platter. The biggest shock I got was that I cannot use it on my SME 20.2/SME V/Lyra Kleos set up without first increasing the height of the arm thereby upsetting all the existing settings. I was able to use it though and it was straightforward enough. I think I heard some improvements in the sound this evening, but who knows for sure. It could be the placebo effect. :shh: The system sounded good anyway. Of course, I had to reset my turntable/arm/cartridge all over again once I had performed the cleaning operation. While it is a bugbear, maybe it will be good in that it will keep me 'practised' in the art of turntable set up.:D I had a mishap with a previous sample of the Kleos more than two years ago. I am convinced that if I had the Flux back then I could have 'saved' that cartridge. I think something must have attached itself to the stylus causing it to mistrack. It was absoultely fine before I played a later Jesse Colin Young U.S. pressed album which had been professionally cleaned. I think the Flux would have removed whatever it was back then. Lyra in Tokyo and my dealer were excellent in sorting me out with a new sample of the Kleos, thankfully! :righton:

Andy Saunders and plastico like this.
  15. plastico

I have the same problem as you Satrus. I have to remove the platter and support the cleaner on a cassette case to get the height. But, I don't have to fiddle with the arm setting.
    Cheers, Doug

Satrus likes this.
  16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I did remove the platter tonight as a first step, but since I hadn't used the Flux before I wasn't confident that it was stable enough to stay in place on a 'platform', while cleaning. I think I am reassured on that now having used it. I will probably experiment along the lines of what you do to see if that would work for me, going forward.

plastico likes this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I just got a Flux cleaner today, along with an extra bottle of fluid. This thing is brilliant. I’ve had an old Goldring electronic stylus cleaner from the 80s when I worked for the Rega/Goldring U.S. importer at the time.

This thing is brilliant. I have a DV XV-1s and after one 15 second run on the Flux it’s far cleaner than I’ve ever had had it since new. The Goldring does an OK, job but it always left some bit of black deposits on the stylus tip. The Flux gets it perfectly spotless. Nice. I have a new cartridge on the way, so this will be part of my maintenance regimen with it from the start.

Cassius, Swann36, Jim0830 and 2 others like this.
  18. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I agree that it does appear to do a very good job but for the fact that it is just plain awkward to use with some turntable/arm setups. My own is a case in point. I have read of other turntables too where the Flux was difficult to use. I was somewhat underwhelmed though when viewing a You Tube video with Shane Buettner and his business partner (his name eludes me just now) on the occasion of their taking over the distribution of Lyra cartridges in the U.S.A. They seemed to be at pains to stress that Lyra's brush and stylus cleaning fluid was the only recommended method of keeping the Lyra line of cartridges cleaned. By implication, does that mean that the Flux is not approved by Stig Bjorge and Jonathan Carr? I bought a Flux but I have to reset my arm and cartridge each time I use it. I have only used it once since August on that account. That is a significant drawback, at least for me.

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Using it is not a problem at all for my table and arm. I don't have to change anything to run the cleaner.

I know someone close to the Lyra people and he uses the Flux on his Atlas about once a month, and he is dependant on reliable gear for his profession. If he says it's OK to use it then I trust that.

Where do you see that Lyra says one should only use their brush and fluid to clean their cartridges. Can you share a link?

Satrus likes this.