Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Or, it was a great ride and I'd be thrilled if they handed off more of the SW universe to Deborah Chow.

Stormrider77, Pete Puma and SRC like this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Sure, provided she gets some good writers. Deborah Chow + Jon Favreau = Gold. Deborah Chow + Twits = Crap.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If anyone on this forum is being paid by Disney it is you. No disrespect but I can't take anything you say seriously.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

I *wish* Disney would pay me money to say nice things about Star Wars.

I'd even compliment the name origin scene from Solo. :D

5. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

geeze this thread is evil.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

7. So if I enjoyed this series it's only because I'm a blinded fan. Got it. Thanks for setting me straight.:sigh:

CraigBic, SRC and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why is there a presumption that you are only allowed to post positive comments and that if an opinion is not it is somehow 'evil' (?) or should not belong?

This is a discussion board, all opinions are welcome in a general thread like this.

If someone is not prepared to accept that then really they shouldn't be on public forums.

9. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

This is not why I said that. It's the bickering and finger pointing. Pointless and petty. Everyone's opinion should be treated equally.

GentleSenator and Jim B. like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

Agreed. My post was more aimed at comments like "Now let me have my 180 degree different opinion and view" which seem better suited for a blog than a discussion forum. Negative opinions can be discussed and challenged as much as positive opinions and if you're not prepared for that, either ignore the responses or don't post at all, or post somewhere that you can opine without any potential opposition.

Jim B. likes this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The tone of Vader’s voice when he asked Obi Wan if he came to destroy him made me believe that he would welcome that. It’s almost like he has a split personality and wants to be put out of his misery. You could see and hear the two personalities battling each other when his face was exposed. I didn’t notice the first time that his eye color kept changing from Sith yellow back to blue. And That’s why he said “you should have killed me when you had the chance.” Meaning it would have saved both Anakin and Obi Wan a lot of misery.

12. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Interesting you’d say that, because the person who said this sure didn’t feel particularly welcoming to positive opinions here:

CraigBic and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Please everyone, take the long weekend to write your scripts for an 8-hr Obi-Wan series.

Post here next week. This conversation will be more productive then.

Keith V and Frozensoda like this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Just finished the last episode. Pointless remake of Revenge of the Sith that leaves us in exactly the same place that movie did.

Keith V, GentleSenator and vegafleet like this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

To your point, I was left with this question: At the end of Revenge of the Sith, does Ben leave Anakin behind in the expectation that Anakin would die from his wounds? If so, why does he not finish off Vader at the end of the series, when Vader is obviously not mortally wounded but defenseless.

I don't buy the explanation I expect from many here that it is because of the prophecy of "The one who brings balance to the Force". At those points in the movie and the series, there can be no expectation from Obi Wan that Anakin/Vader is anything but evil and disaster, worthy only of killing off. Dramatically you don't want to kill off your main villain, but then don't put your hero in the position to twice kill him and to then just walk away from finishing the job for no discernible (to me) reason. This speaks to the bad writing others have rightly complained about.

It is like when Rick does not kill off Neegan in TWD. You need that for the continuation of the show but smacks of lazy writing. Better have the villain somehow escape thru his own devices than have the hero not finish the job when he can.

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was entertaining, if somewhat pointless. Not anywhere as bad a s some people are implying. Really hoping for more Old Republic stuff in the future.

GentleSenator and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Obi Wan has to kill Vader, he simply can't let him live again knowing how evil he was and how many people will suffer if he lets him live. It makes the climax silly.

Of course we know he can't to make films work which is why it is really bad writing that he walks away.

Create a situation where he is naturally prevented from killing him after he has defeated him is the only logical writing choice.

vegafleet likes this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If he kills him when he is helpless, he gives into the dark side.

HotblackDesiato and indigovic like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was arguing my point. I wasn't saying 'people are not allowed to have positive opinions' like some people here were saying 'people shouldn't post negative opinions'.

What you quoted is debate, which is not shutting someone down. They are two different things.

My point was that purely on an objective technical level there were issues with the script/direction that are not really a matter of opinion. Like walking out of one of the most heavily guarded empire bases with a kid under your coat. It's so bad it's comical.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Nonsense. The Jedi killed when they had to. It would be putting Anakin out of his misery.

In Episode 3 Yoda and Obi Wan go off to kill the chancellor and Anakin, they failed but they would not have let them live.

Mace attempts to execute Sidious, says something like he is too dangerous to be left alive, so he has no problem with executing him and he's a Jedi Master equal to anyone.

YarRevenge, vegafleet and twicks like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

How do you even know when someone is "finished," though? According to this goofy show people can get run through with lightsabers and walk it off.

CoachD, Jim B., enro99 and 1 other person like this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

All three are meant to be somewhat flawed - but even if they weren't, it's not like Star Wars has ever been consistant with the light side/dark side force stuff, or the Jedi Code.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If one only watched A New Hope, you would think that even touching the ignited blade of a lightsaber would cause you to disappear into thin air.

CoachD likes this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Except Obi-Wan lopped an arm off in the cantina well before that.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The seventeen years between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace really ruined the fanbase. They came up with so much fan fiction that nothing that anyone could come up with after would ever live up to expectations. A nuanced and sympathetic character study of Boba Fett? Eff that, not bad ass enough!!!