No Time to Die (2021 James Bond film). May include spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

NtTD was delayed 3 times due to the pandemic. I'm not sure you can lay that at the feet of Craig, the filmmakers, the studio, or anyone else.

Covid: James Bond film No Time To Die delayed for third time

mr_spenalzo likes this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Release delayed but filming started in 2019.

First, Danny Boyle's treatment was rejected so that accounts for a good portion of wasted time, spent looking for another director and re-writing the script.

Also, Craig's negotiated (said he wouldn't do another one after Spectre) comeback took time.

AngusStanley and GregM like this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Good point, but Craig does get beat up in each film by doing some of the fighting and stunts himself--it's a lot more physical than previous Bonds and he worked a lot harder to keep in shape. That said, Keanu thoroughly surpassed him with the Wick franchise. Probably better entertainment value for mindless action that lacks many pretentious elements of 007. I need to rewatch the entire Craig run and maybe I'll have a different take on how it holds up.

4. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

That’s up to him if he wants to do his own stunt stuff and injure himself. He’s not a stuntman.

He’s also not a writer, as his contributions to Quantum of Nonsensical Plot show.

Richard--W likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I streamed this today and enjoyed it. A little long but I liked Craig's Bond movies for the most part.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

QoS made sense to me. As for the stunts, I like seeing the actor's face during fight scenes, throwing punches, taking punches (that aren't obvious misses), jumping, running, etc. It adds a bit of realism to the action sequences and helps avoid methods like zooming in too close or too far, the handheld jerky cam technique, or other tricks to make it harder for the audience to see they're watching a double instead of the actor. I appreciate Craig doing these scenes without overuse of stuntmen.

mtrot and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I finally watched last weekend and thought it was poor, but then I'd read so much about it I was prepared. I think it was a very slight improvement on Spectre, just because that film really trashed the legacy of Spectre and Blofeld.
    I hope they do a significant reboot with Felix back in place and an all new cast - even though I thought the younger US agent was a really good addition, as was the new 007. But what they really need is a fresh writing team and a more "grounded in reality" take on the world.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Does Daniel Craig just wing it or like all actors he has a script?
    Might be a long shot but I bet script.

10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Not sure I like this idea. I don’t want a kinder, gentler Bond, a romantic/monogamous Bond or even a more inclusive Bond. I agree that the franchise needs a reboot - obviously the way Craig’s series ended - but there still has to be that spirit of the character that has gone throughout all the different iterations.

Not to go down a rathole but that’s sort of what ruined Doctor Who for me, I didn’t get the sense that 13 connected to her 12 predecessors, the chain was broken.

Of course, I’ve left myself an out by saying I’m not sure if I like this. Who knows what the Broccoli’s will end up doing and I may end up liking it. Time will tell.

budwhite, PH416156 and Richard--W like this.
  12. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Just give us something in the spirit of Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, or The Living Daylights. I just want the films to be FUN again. I enjoyed Craig's tenure but it was so dramatic and devoid of escapism in many respects. The best Bond films manage to combine action, drama, comedy, and creativity while gently winking at the audience.

13. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

“The start of the film is great – he’s really in a flash car, having a car chase around Matera. But he’s got his girlfriend with him and they’re having a row. What kind of fantasy is that? Find the ejector seat button, get rid of her and have an adventure.“ :laugh::agree: … exactly!

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

"We're reinventing who he is," Barbara Broccoli says.
    After 5 films and 17 years of deconstructing James Bond out of
    existence -- of excoriating him, ridiculing him, p___y-whipping
    him, woking him, making him fail, making him stupid, making
    him beg for mercy and then obliterating him under a bomb, why
    doesn't this "revinventing who he is" surprise me?

Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are the problem. They
    really do have to get lost. Somebody needs to rescue 007 from
    EON Productions.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

AppleCorp3, Richard--W and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

17. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

19. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

A rapist? From my recollection, most his "conquests" readily acquiesced to his advances. How can Bond help it if he's just irresistible to the young ladies? You even have Bond scolding Bibi over her advances in For Your Eyes Only!

MikaelaArsenault and ssmith3046 like this.
  20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I always find Bond wrestling P. Galore in the barn in Goldfinger hard to watch. Hitting Diana Rigg in OHMSS also. Ugh.

MikaelaArsenault and mr_spenalzo like this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Goldfinger yes and definitely the slap…just unpleasant to see and I imagine it was then.

I wonder if that scene in Majesty’s was in lieu of strong language. Bond couldn’t issue a terse “f you!” so the script has him slap her.

Really not excusing the behavior but I wonder if they’d been able to be looser with dialog if it would have been necessary?

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

How hard?

23. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

And how he handles Maud Adams in the Man With The Golden Gun, hitting her, threatening to break her arm…

MikaelaArsenault and sharedon like this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Broccoli to the garbage bin, bring on some steak!

25. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Why does Bond need to be “reinvented” again? Did they just do that 15 years ago?

MikaelaArsenault and ssmith3046 like this.