"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Matt Patches, Deputy Editor of Entertainment at Polygon.

My Elvis screening is full of teens … is Austin Butler new Leo

2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

This Saturday will be my last time to see it in Dolby sound. Standard from then out. If this is how bummed I am now--imagine later when it leaves theaters...

3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have got to see the Elvis movie again at least one more time before it moves out of the full theater experience. Oh man, for a guy that hates long movies that 2 hours and 39 minutes flew by me like a lightening bolt. So much for the eyes and ears to take in. Incredible acting all around. Not just Austin, whose performance is otherworldly, but Mr. Hanks, Olivia DeJonge as Priscilla Presley and Dacre Montgomery as Steve Binder, who I knew from the very entertaining Netflix series, Stranger Things.

Lee Davis, Chris DeVoe, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  4. 80steen

80steen John McClane

This is why I feel the movie goes a bit over the top with Parker being such an evil guy with management. Stories of him never letting Elvis perform for free or not allowing second billing, may sound harsh today, and people like to say it was just so Parker made sure he got more money for himself. I think though, it was more that Parker saw that Elvis had a unique charisma and singing voice and people would always want to see him, either on tv, in films or in concert. Therefore, there was no need to accept lesser billing in films or to do charity shows. Parker knew his boy was as big a star as anyone, and as good as anyone, and didn't want to make it appear that he wasn't. I will never accept that Parker wasn't just as impressed and taken in by Elvis' talents and charm as everyone else. This is why he kept milking the cow, because he knew he could. The only thing that Parker did that hindered Elvis IMO was not doing international tours because he couldn't go with him, and therefore, couldn't ensure that Elvis was represented in a way that he preferred. Do I think Parker was greedy and had some ulterior motives? Yes. But that wasn't the all end of it. He took real pride in Elvis as a performer and not just as a ticket IMO. Even if that some of that pride was self pride and not just being proud of Elvis. And look, everyone has to lookout for themselves too, otherwise why get into any business?

RSteven likes this.
  5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Looks like you'll have some time but already this weekend it's getting pushed out of the big, nicer rooms in favor of the new Minions movie...

6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh hell no!

Chris DeVoe, Shawn and MRamble like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Could be worse; I've seen Minions-themed short trailers using The Office TV show intro (actually pretty funny) and Jurassic World (eh) as parody material. Imagine a Elvis-ized ad for the Minions movie. :)

Though, all the little yellow #$*@ers in Elvis-style jumpsuits would be hilarious.

artfromtex, Shawn, alexpop and 2 others like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How many Elvis copy singers / who had his look?

UK : Cliff Richard, Shakin Stevens .. Alvin Stardust.

RSteven likes this.
  9. alexpop

More product would be welcome, deep cut .. boutique packaging..,Complete albums with bonus tracks etc

RSteven, Shawn and raveoned like this.
  10. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I really admire your desire to see the best in the guy, but to suggest that the Colonel took an interest in Elvis as a performer implies a modicum of empathy which I don't think he had. The science is very clear that there's a pattern of behaviour traits that are remarkably consistent with the diagnosis given in his military discharge papers brought to light by Alannah Nash (anti-social personality disorder in today's lingo). If true, the only question is how far along the spectrum Parker was.

11. alexpop

Thor : Love and Thunder the following week. :yikes:

D-rock likes this.
  12. alexpop

Just corrected your post. :)

RSteven and D-rock like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And judging Tom Parker’s managerial style as if he were the manager of a contemporary art rock artist like Radiohead makes no sense, in my opinion.

RSteven likes this.
  14. alexpop

Way Down In The Jungle Room 2- possible ?

raveoned likes this.
  15. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Priscilla wrote in her book that after the triumphant opening night in Vegas that Parker went back stage and was telling Where's My Boy, Where's My Boy?! And him and Elvis embraced and there were tears by one or both and she said she started crying too and that it was very beautiful. A moment like that doesn't happen without actual love. I thought in the film they were about to reenact that moment but they stopped short, possibly because it would go against the film's narrative

RSteven, Shawn and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Nitpicking time.
    Only one thing that didn’t work for me was Unchained Melody facial switcheroo, Austin / Elvis .. no problem with Elvis, but Austin‘s face didn’t look right very round, bulbous..obviously supposed to be Elvis - fat period) wasn’t flattering for Austin, anyway - both head sizes didn’t match. But, watching the whole film, it was no biggie. Minor quibble.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Davido, MRamble and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I gotta nitpick too- the guy playing James Burton had too much hair.

18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Even having places that have some Elvis in stock currently receive hype stickers with the movie's Elvis logo to put on those would help boost sales, IMO.

RSteven, alexpop and Shawn like this.
  19. Great idea!

As far as physical product it’s such a different world now with streaming that they certainly have their work cut out for them. Trying to think of themed sets that haven’t been done before I’d love a Bill Porter set (studio cuts from Elvis Is Back, Pot Luck, Something For Everybody, various singles plus select outtakes) but even then I doubt it would resonate much with consumers. And if I’m being selfish nice 180 gram AAA audiophile releases of Pot Luck and Something for Everybody. I’d throw in Elvis Is Back but that one has been done well already. None of this would move the needle with new fans a heck of a lot but it would be nice to showcase these albums.

RSteven and raveoned like this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There’s no Elvis reissue, compilation, or themed song collection that hasn’t been done already a half-dozen times before. I wish BMG or whoever owns the catalog now would settle on definitive versions of each major album and keep them in print forever, although that’s highly unlikely. To some degree, the FTD Sessions sets are the definitive final word on each album, but those obviously aren’t intended for the mass market.

I fear the future of the catalog is more compilations, anchored by new “duets” between dead Elvis and modern artists such as Doja Cat, and more gimmicks like the Elvis Sings With the London Philharmonic series, or whichever orchestra it is that he sings with.

jeremylr, raveoned and D-rock like this.
  21. alexpop

Noticed that. But .. focused on the pink paisley. :nyah:

MRamble, RSteven and Cool hand luke like this.
  22. Has there been a Bill Porter-themed set as I suggested? If so, I’ve missed it.

RSteven likes this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wonder if Austin will record an Elvis tribute album or something?

alexpop likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There has been a mass market Legacy Edition 2-CD set of Elvis Is Back and Something for Everybody, plus the contemporary singles. I guess they could add the Pot Luck material to that, or combine the best of Elvis Is Back, Something for Everybody, and Pot Luck, plus the contemporary singles into a two- or three-CD set as you suggest, but the longtime fans and serious collectors have bought that material in various permutations over and over again already, and anyone newly turned on to Elvis by this movie probably isn’t going to be buying a two- or three-CD physical media compilation by any artist, I’d wager.

D-rock likes this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I'd buy two copies of that Bill Porter set. Brilliant idea. The most beautifully recorded Elvis music all in one set. Brilliant idea my friend! Why aren't you working for Sony Legacy Music? :righton:

alexpop, Shawn and raveoned like this.