Pink Floyd - Animals Deluxe Edition: (2018 remix Released Sept 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2022.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No, I was being facetious... but the combo of the JG digital remaster, cutting from hi-res digital, and then BG's mastering choices.... created a very "different" listening experience than, say, the early UK press. It's almost like the 2016 vinyl was created to prove the myth that Animals is the "cold & clinical" Floyd record.

Obviously, vinyl pressings can sound very distinct from one another, especially if cut from different sources with 40 years in between. Heck, the RL Zep II and the "Ahmet-approved" second pressing came out months apart and the difference is night-and-day!

St. Troy, andrewskyDE and childerikov like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

And some if us have blu ray in our main movie-watching room and dvd in our music-listening room. Strange but true. (But I really do need to upgrade my listening area to bluray one of these days.)

ARK and Echoes71 like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It looks much better there, IMO.

Can we expect a hidden track somewhere in this set? I know, wishful thinking.^^

Sean, JulesRules and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Weren't 1992 and 1994 the same? '92 being in the 'Shine On' box and released individually two years later?

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

ARK likes this.
  6. DSOTM1

DSOTM1 Forum Resident

Little disappointed that there is no live tracks. I do most of music listening in my vehicles or in my office at home on my Bose speaker.
    Very rarely do I sit in the basement and listening on my home theatre. I can’t remember the last time I sat in the basement and listened to my other Floyd 5.1 releases.

with that said, will definitely be buying this

Zeptana 79 likes this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Too soon!!!

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Why didn't Waters leave Floyd and just let them carry on?

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wasn't this differently mixed?

Sean, JulesRules and Deek57 like this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Announcement up on pinkfloyd.com: Pink Floyd | The Official Site

Looks like the deluxe (CD+LP+DVD+BR) version has an exclusive 32 page booklet with it (someone correct me if I’ve read it wrong and the booklet comes with other versions). Seals the deal over buying the CD & BR sets separately.

11. DSOTM1

DSOTM1 Forum Resident

Anyone have a link for preorder in Canada?

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Can’t wait to read the liner notes! :winkgrin:

Sean, ARK, rockclassics and 2 others like this.
  13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

After all these years: No extras

:shake::shake::shake:

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Official announcement:

[​IMG]

30 June 2022

PINK FLOYD'S 'ANIMALS 2018 REMIX'

Warner Music [Sony Music outside Europe] today announced the upcoming release of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' on Deluxe Gatefold, CD, LP, Blu-ray and SACD. The individual versions will be available on 16 September 2022 with the Deluxe version available from 7 October. This is the first time the album will have been available on 5.1 Surround Sound.

Animals is the tenth studio album by Pink Floyd, originally released in January 1977. It was recorded at the band's Britannia Row Studios in London throughout 1976 and early 1977, and was produced by the band themselves. The successful album peaked at number 2 in the UK and number 3 in the US, and is considered as one of the band's best works. The album was recorded by band members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright.

Animals 2018 Remix will be released on CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, SACD and Deluxe Gatefold formats. The Deluxe Gatefold version includes LP, CD, audio Blu-ray, audio DVD and a 32-page book. The Blu-ray and DVD audio include the 2018 remix in Stereo, 5.1 Surround (both by James Guthrie) and the original 1977 Stereo mix. The 32-page booklet features rarely seen behind the scenes photographs of the album sleeve shoot along with live images and memorabilia. The album artwork has been reimagined for this release.

Animals is a concept album, focusing on the social-political conditions of mid-1970s Britain, and was a change from the style of the band's earlier work. The album was developed from a collection of unrelated songs into a concept which describes the apparent social and moral decay of society, likening the human condition to that of animals. Taking inspiration from George Orwell's Animal Farm, the album depicts the different classes of people as animals with pigs being at the top of the social chain, dropping down to the sheep as the mindless herd following what they are told, with dogs as the business bosses getting fat on the money and power they hold over the other. Although it's been a long time since 1977, the narrative of the album still resonates today as our social and economical situation mirrors that of the time.

The album's iconic cover shows an inflatable pig (now known as Algie) floating between two chimneys of the Battersea Power Station, conceived by Roger Waters, and designed by long-time collaborator Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis Studios. For this new release, the artwork has been re-designed for the modern era by Storm's Hipgnosis partner Aubrey 'Po' Powell. Taking new shots of the building as it appeared during the recent conversion work, Po experimented with new angles and produce some striking new takes on the classic original. Po elaborates: "With the original 1977 album cover being such an iconic piece of stand-alone art, I had the chance to update it, which was a rather daunting task, but Hipgnosis took the opportunity to re-photograph the image to reflect a changing world, and by using modern digital colouring techniques I kept Pink Floyd's rather bleak message of moral decay using the Orwellian themes of animals, the pig 'Algie', faithful to the message of the album".

Pink Floyd's 'Animals 2018 Remix' is available to pre-order here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

FINALLY!!!

Sean and J_D__ like this.
  16. I'll probably get the stand alone stereo remix cd and pass on the rest. I'll wait for the reviews on the sound and remix before buying -The Early Years remixes keep me wary.

17. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

That’s more like it. I may or may not also buy the 2018 remix on download, but having it available through Apple Music might be enough.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  18. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Really helpful, thanks. I hadn't spotted the LP-only format when I first looked at Amazon. I don't need the Deluxe version and the standalone LP is very reasonably priced. Easy pre-order.

19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Hoping Apple Music will have a Dolby Audio 5.1 version available (as per Momentary remix) to tide me over until the 7 October deluxe version. Otherwise its a standalone BR or SACD in September for the 5.1 goodness.

20. jlf

21. jlf

No 1977 mix on the SACD. The 2011 remaster of the 1977 mix will be on the BluRay, though. Here are all the details from the link above your post:

[​IMG]

Animals 2018 Remix Hybrid Multichannel SACD!

An Analogue Productions exclusive!

A multitrack masterpiece. Mixed for 5.1 surround sound and stereo from the original analog master tapes by Pink Floyd Producer/Engineer James Guthrie!

Plays in stereo on CD players and in 5.1 surround sound and stereo on all SACD and compatible players

The time for the SACD release all Pink Floyd fans have coveted — Animals in 5.1 surround and stereo — is here. Another classic Pink Floyd title receives the multichannel reissue treatment and Acoustic Sounds and Analogue Productions is here to proudly handle exclusive distribution of this monumental disc. The SACD also of course includes a stunning stereo mix. And as this is a hybrid disc, the album is of course also playable on a standard CD player.

The SACD features the 2018 remix of the iconic 1977 Pink Floyd album for the first time, by long-time producer/engineer James Guthrie. Animals is a concept album, focusing on the social-political conditions of mid-1970s Britain, and was a change from the style of the band's earlier work. The album was developed from a collection of unrelated songs into a concept which describes the apparent social and moral decay of society, likening the human condition to that of animals. Taking inspiration from George Orwell's Animal Farm, the album depicts the different classes of people as animals with pigs being at the top of the social chain, dropping down to the sheep as the mindless herd following what they are told, with dogs as the business bosses getting fat on the money and power they hold over the other. Although it's been a long time since 1977, the narrative of the album still resonates today as our social and economic situation mirrors that of the time.

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I had ordered the deluxe but now I know the LP will be available separately I might go LP and SACD

are there any U.K. sites that will stock the SACD?

D-rock likes this.
  23. Lonestar

Lonestar Well-Known Member

Did initially order the LE, but I've since gone for separate CD and Blu-ray. Would have liked the book that comes with the LE set, but not worth the £30ish difference for me.

D-rock likes this.
  24. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Maybe I missed it, does Amazon US have this for preorder yet? I couldn’t find it.

rbichamp likes this.
  25. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

For all of you who are bemoaning the lack of marbles and scarves with this set :laugh:, have no fear - you can get your Animals mugs and spiral-bound notebooks through the PF store!