Ultrasonic Stylus Cleaners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mr. Bewlay, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

And the manufacturer of my $3500 cartridge recommends using cleaners (other then brush) very infrequently )).

2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

The manufacturer of my $2,500 cartridge does the same. My post was for informational purposes only. YMMV and you have to do what is right for you.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  3. Old Zorki II

To an extent I understand why cleaner want to be used more (more $30 bottles of liquid sold) and cartridge manufacturer wants less (they do not want to examine every cleaning solution and do not want to repair damaged stylus). As for users - on one hand we want clean stylus (not just for sound quality, but also for longevity), on another -less work and avoiding disaster of damaged stylus. Plus some people with bad hands can snap the stylus even in a process of cleaning )).
    So, you are correct, YMMV ))).

Rodant Kapoor and Jim0830 like this.
  4. I received my Hudson but the USB microscope isn’t working (software compatibility issue with new hardware) so I won’t be able to do any before/after pics.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Hudson is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am excited to try it but at the same time, I am not entirely persuaded that ultrasonic stylus cleaning is 100% safe.
    On the other hand, one can argue that nothing is 100% safe.

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I could not find it. What is the frequency of the Hudson? I looked online and Hudson claims that "The frequency of our cleaner is carefully tuned to avoid any damage."
    I'm sorry but this generic statement does not fill me with much confidence.

I will try it on some of my less expensive cartridges first just to see how well it works and if there are any adverse effects.
    If anybody can post some additional before/after pictures that will be great.

Shawn likes this.
  6. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I'm having trouble finding the FLUX-Sonic Needle Cleaner cleaning fluid anywhere.

Anyone have any leads?

As I mentioned earlier: For now I've been using the Audio Intelligent stylus cleaner fluid. Is there any reason this wouldn't be ok, or any reason it wouldn't work as well as the FLUX-Sonic cleaning fluid?

bajaed likes this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There you go

Flux HiFi - Sonic Cleaner Fluid (15mL) | Shop Music Direct

8. MattHooper

Thanks!

The dealer I bought the Flux from finally got back to me and apparently he's out of the cleaner but will be getting some more in.

But I'm also wondering if someone can answer my previous question: Is it ok to substitute the Audio Intelligent stylus cleaning fluid instead for now when using the Flux cleaner? And is there any reason to think it would do less of a good job cleaning than the Flux cleaning fluid?

5-String likes this.
  9. Old Zorki II

I would contact Audio Intelligence. For example for Ultrasonic cleaning they just released liquid, and all previous ones are not good for this purpose.
    There can be a difference between stylus cleaning liquids

Jim0830 likes this.
  10. MattHooper

I got a reply from Audio Intelligence. They didn't see why using their cleaner with the Flux device would cause any harm.

Still unsure if it would be less effective than the Flux fluid.

I've emailed the Flux people too, awaiting response.

11. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Was there any information on the frequency used in the Hudson and Dynavox units?

12. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

FWIW, the bottle that comes with the Flux cleaner should last very, very long. All that is needed per cleaning is one drop. That being said, I did order an extra bottle.

13. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I wonder where the junk from my stylus goes when I use the Flux? I put a stylus on that had 3 strands of fuzz and some dust, and when it was done, the stylus was clean, but I didn't see any junk on the Flux. Transported to another dimension?

wolfyboy3 and Danmar like this.
  14. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

You answered your own question!

monovinyl likes this.
  15. neil74

neil74 Forum Resident

Bump

Looks like another new one on the block here Analogue Studio Electronic Stylus Cleaner

I was about to go for the flux, the flux seems to be so well regarded but this and the hudson are less than half the price and would seem to do the same thing?