SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Lack of SACD playback hardware is the main problem today, for everyone except a tiny number of audiophiles.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Players are dirt cheap now.

D-rock, GerryO, Mr. Afternoon and 2 others like this.
  3. BrooklynEars

BrooklynEars Active Member

I always enjoyed SACD’s . When MOFI /AP etc issue new releasese. I buy ( mostly Lol )cause it is cheaper than vinyl .
    Yes some players you can get at a fair price .

chaz, George P and Mr. Afternoon like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

So, upcoming this year....

Quincy Jones - The Dude
    Toto - Toto IV (Japan Sony multichannel hybrid SACD reissue)
    Michael Jackson - Thriller (MoFi SACD reissue)
    Pink Floyd - Animals (Analogue Productions multichannel hybrid SACD)
    Possibly Van Halen SACDs and more Eagles SACDs from MoFi

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  5. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I recently got into SACD. I tried to avoid it but my Dad recently got into them and I couldn't resist.

Picked up a Marantz SA8003 in fantastic condition for about £450.

There just aren't a huge amount of releases for me to collect but enough to enjoy. Nice to see they atleast they still being out the odd new release too like Animals by Pink Floyd.

Shvartze Shabbos and Jarleboy like this.
  6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Anyone know if this upcoming Japan SACD of Toto IV is any different from Toto - Toto IV (2003), which I own?

@soundboy you describe it as "reissue" which suggests to me that they are basically repressing the same DSD contents from the 2003 disc (though with most-likely much cooler packaging, with obi, lyrics in English and Japanese, etc.).

In any case, I'm so happy people who want this Toto IV album on multichannel SACD are no longer faced with $100+ to get it. Maybe US$50 or less for this upcoming reissue?

I'm excited for, and have almost everything already on pre-order, everything else you listed above. I think I just need to call Music Direct to get pre-orders in for the rest of the Eagles SACDs.

weekendtoy, scobb, ispace and 3 others like this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Posted by @toilet_doctor here:

Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

It has a lot more "swag" for one thing and while they think the 5.1 layer is the 2003 mastering, it sounds like the CD layer will be a newer 2018 mastering. The retail is also going to be under $35. I have one of these SACDs that was issued in a 7" gatefold cover (Santana - Abraxas). The packaging is really cool IMO. Beautiful glossy gatefold that is easier to appreciate (again IMO) at the larger 7" size.

[​IMG]

8. soundboy

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks so much for the additional details (all in service of encouraging me to contribute a bit more to the SACD format's resurgence!). I'm now at least 50/50 on picking up this new Toto SACD edition, and will now likely do so if a good opportunity presents itself!

Shvartze Shabbos, Jagger69 and jhm like this.
  10. soundboy

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

O
    Listened to the CD this week, to decide if I’m interested in the upcoming SACD.
    I am.
    This is a great album and though the sound on the CD is pretty good, there is definitely room for improvement.

Shvartze Shabbos, jhm and Jarleboy like this.
  12. soundboy

The above was posted on January 1, 2022 (post #1658 of this thread).

After 6 full months of 2022, there are now 14,528 SACD releases listed at hraudio.net. That's a gain of 270 new SACD releases in 6 months. However, not all new SACD are listed at hraudio.net. For example, PS Audio's music label, Octave Records, has at least 15 SACD titles that are not listed and are not reflected in the above total.

There were relatively few SACDs released in Hong Kong, although HK Universal Music did released its first 4 classical music SACD titles (which were just added to hraudio.net). Aside from those 4 SACD titles, there were only 20 other SACD releases over there.

In total, there were close to 300 new SACD releases for the first 6 months of 2022. At that rate of releases, there may be 600 new SACD (or more) releases for this year. There are a number of new, upcoming SACD releases that have yet to be accounted for....Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on MoFi, the first 6 Van Halen studio albums on MoFi, the rest of the Eagles studio albums on MoFi, jazz SACDs from Art Pepper, Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans from Craft Recordings, Japan Sony Music's "Toto IV" SACD reissue, an increasing number of J-pop SACD titles, etc.

13. soundboy

Coming July 13rd, Hong Kong Universal Music is releasing on SACD....

Lenny Kravitz - Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

The Cardigans - First Band on the Moon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    jamesc, ispace, olinko and 8 others like this.
  14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

This thread is ELEVEN YEARS OLD. Define "recent".

ispace, scobb, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Are you surprised at the thread's continual resurgence? :)

Tim

16. Slip_Kid

Slip_Kid Forum Resident

Have owned SAVD’s for +20 years. That being said, the only SACD release I get excited for are the multi-channel ones (EQ Quad or 5.1). With high res streaming, there’re just as good sound quality wise - especially the earlier turn of the century SACD’s who’s mastering are pretty weak (Thriller, Toto IV, etc…).

Jagger69 likes this.
  17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Isn't "recent" always recent ?!

D-rock and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

SACD 5.1 seems like the ultimate niche setup that not many people would have.

D-rock, boggs and Jarleboy like this.
  19. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

The fact we can still buy, new, magnificent music issued on physical format, 45rpm, SACD, at their quintessence, in 2022, is a bless.:love:

weekendtoy, Manutius, jamesc and 9 others like this.
  20. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Getting about time to upgrade SACD player as mine will only play dedicated sacd and not hybrid.

Echo and Jarleboy like this.
  21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Relative to mono or stereo systems, yes.

Relative to 11.2 Dolby Atmos systems, no.

Lance LaSalle and Fruff76 like this.
  22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

touché

CraigVC likes this.
  23. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I am really intrigued by this thread, especially some of the recent comments about hardware. I have a Marantz SACD player I bought new in 2016 before I realized that SACD did not necessarily mean that the cds were all in 5.1, multichannel production. I have a handful of SACDs that are 5.1 that I can only play on my Blu-ray player if I want to try and get the surround sound effects. These cause the light on my Marantz to indicate that they are hybrids but that does not mean much to me if I am not getting genuine surround sound. I tried researching here and on-line and looks like the only solution is to buy a very old player via eBay, but then I read the connections must be cable and not digital because of Sony's proprietary stipulations, and I felt overwhelmed. Would love to hear if people have a solution that works that is not at an outrageous cost and takes advantage of the 5.1.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. layman

layman Forum Resident

You can listen to the Stereo SACD layer of your SACD discs in your Marantz but to listen to the 5.1 mix, you will need to use your Blu-ray player or DVD player (either connected by a digital connection using HDMI or connected through multi-channel analog cables for an analog connection).

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Which model of Marantz SACD player do you have? Some SACD players are "stereo-only" capable. If your player is capable of multi-channel, you should be able to do as @layman says, considering that your receiver appears to be capable of a direct connection between player and receiver.

Marantz SR7007 7.2 channel AV Receiver Review

Jarleboy and Armjim like this.