"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I said a hundred times, there's no way those walkie talkies could go more than a mile.

BTW, even a "kids show" still has to follow the rules of story logic, be consistent, and make sense. There's no excuse not to, especially at this budget/ratings level. Often, one line of dialogue can solve logistics problems like that. "Hey, what happened to so-and-so?" "He didn't make it." Stuff like that.

Meanwhile, here's more inside scoop from the Duffer Brothers about the final season, a massive 10,000-word interview with Mike Flemming that reveals many things:

Stranger Things Matt & Ross Duffer Season 4 Finale’s Deaths Epic Season Five – Deadline

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We finished this season tonight and liked it. But what was really impressive for me was the great sound the season had in Dolby Atmos. Demo level for my Sonos Arc w/sub system. It also looked great in Dolby Vision.

3. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

So Kate gets a sales bump and Metallica gets a sales bump, why no love for Ella and Louis?

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I also thought it was odd that the cover story was a magnitude 7.4 earthquake...in Indiana...and everyone seems to be pretty calm about it. Even the line of cars leaving town are driving slowly.

6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. Kate Bush isn't the first artist to have an older song featured in a very popular series. What makes her success different than others? I think she's at 3 straight weeks at #1 on the UK singles charts. It's a great story and I'm loving the attention "Running Up That Hill" and the Hounds Of Love album are getting, seemingly out of the blue.

It also makes me think. When these artists sign a deal to allow their songs to be used in a show, do they know what the context will be? Has the scene already been filmed and the music placed, then they show that to the artist? An artist is probably more interested in a pivotal moment than a throwaway scene (though that might affect the licensing price), but it sounds like James Hetfield didn't know how "Master of Puppets" was going to be used.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Pretty good use of Moby in the last episode too but I doubt most people would notice it.

MikaelaArsenault, EVOLVIST and JohnG like this.
  8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

If you watch with the closed captioning on, as we almost always do, they often give you the artist/song title info. They've done so for Kate, Ella, Metallica and Moby. It's a handy feature. CC is also good for picking up offscreen dialogue and/or dialogue from TV or radio.

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I can't be sure, but I thought I read that Kate is picky about who uses her songs and for what. I believe she knew how it was going to be used here.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

SPOILERS

As soon as Vecna's place in the Upside Down was revealed I knew this season was not going to end in a satisfying way, and it didn't. It seems a popular trend for a series to introduce late into the series an overarching villain behind the curtain, the same thing Craig's Bond did with Blofeld. I'm not a fan of this because it tends to deflate the prior entries, but I guess eventually everyone wants to throw their hate at a Voldemort type who can go on long evil monologues.

Season 4 had some very fun parts, and watching the terrible remake of Firestarter midway through the season made me realize how well done the show was. However, more and more this is becoming a soap opera, the constant cutting at a pivotal moment to another strand is really annoying, and it isn't as if it is showing parallel action. If that were true then Nancy and Steve were apparently strangled for 2 hours by those tentacle things. And wasn't it night in Russia and Indiana at the same time?

I did find it curious how much 70's music made it into the last couple episodes, I doubt CCR's Up Around the Bend made a big sales bump with the kiddos.

11. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I just assumed the '70's music' was put in for us old folks who like the series - I mean, how campy can you get to have Joyce and Murray, kidnapped, and flying off to the USSR to the tune of Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man?

12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Talisman was a nice touch...as it's a Stephen King book about parallel worlds.

MikaelaArsenault and ODIrony like this.
  13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Metallica members were pitched the entire scene and thematic use per an interview I'll try to find.

Kate Bush's song hits all the right notes thematically, in importance, and repetition. It's a life-saver, the well-liked character's favourite song played at least three times including the main climax to that point, and has the fitting theme of going against a difficult uphill battle. All this elevates it like no other song use. Even swapping places fits to the series. Perfect use of a song. And it's a great song too which helps.

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

And they name Kate in the dialogue, I don't think they did for Metallica. As an aside, there's some questions about when Master of Puppets came out in 1986 and how long Eddie had to learn the whole song...

15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

16. March 1986. The show is in the Summer of 1986, yeah? I think there was time. But maybe not.

I don't believe that Lucas would be sporting that flat top, though. That style didn't come to the fore until 1988 with Kid 'n' Play and Big Daddy Kane, unless Lucas invented it.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Duffer Brothers are going to be adapting it as a series.

18. Thats exactly what it did. The show became sloppy. So either they can't write very well or they fudged a lot of bits and let it fly.

Ryan Lux, MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Don’t forget Peter Straub. The man is a great writer that doesn’t receive enough credit. His name is on the cover, too.

20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

This season is also March 1986. “Master of Puppets” was released in the first week of the month but it’s certainly a tight turnaround. It doesn’t bother me though unlike Extreme’s “Play with Me” from 1989 turning up which is a bit lazy.

21. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

circa 1986 teenage stoners were listening to a lot more 70s rock than then new bands like metallica. growing up 50 miles from NYC, Led Zep and their ilk ruled the car tape decks and airwaves.

22. JoeRockhead

1988 is when that hairstyle hit the mainstream. I recall seeing it from circa 1985 on

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm one of those people who don't really have the time for episodes that are this long. I watched the first episode of the season a few weeks ago and haven't gotten back to it. It could be the greatest thing in the history of TV for all I know.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  24. I don't. Maybe it was a regional thing. I went to school with a lot of black kids, too. I'm just going by memory, though, as I was right in that pocket, going to junior high and high school in the '80s.

:shrug:

25. JoeRockhead

By 1986, many young African American people, especially in the New York City, Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia areas, began to follow the hi-top fade trend.
    Hi-top fade - Wikipedia

MikaelaArsenault and mdm08033 like this.