"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's not exactly a "metal" amp, but it was big. Kudos to Eddie for rockin' the Fender Super Six Reverb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I graduated from high school in 1985, and I think the following 2-3 years were very transitional. I don't want to write a thesis, but you are correct that the various stoner cliques were still hanging on to 70s hard rock, with a large contingent of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden fans. There just weren't many arena level acts that filled that void, and a lot of fans were not happy with pop/glam metal that dominated MTV. Then you had many that gravitated to The Grateful Dead. I was in college in 1986 and Metallica was the one group that everyone knew was going to break out of the underground metal scene. They were not there quite yet, but you could sense on the street that it was inevitable. I'll allow the producers some creative license here.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaaand... the Duffer Brothers just announced a Talisman series for Netflix, produced in association with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment:

Stranger Things Duffers Netflix Upside Down Spinoff & play Death Note – Deadline

A series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub‘s 1984 novel The Talisman which the Duffers will craft alongside Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment and Paramount Television. Created by Stranger Things’ Co-EP and writer Curtis Gwinn, The Talisman tells the story of a young man who moves between New Hampshire and an alternate world called ‘The Territories’ to obtain an artifact that will save his mother’s life. While The Talisman shares otherworldly qualities with Stranger Things, “It’s much more fantasy. It has sci-fi. It has horror elements. It has a lot of heart. It has everything that we love. And it’s got the best werewolf character I think, ever,” Matt Duffer told Deadline in yesterday’s in-depth interview.

How'd they drag that thing over to the Upside Down? How is it getting any AC power?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

That the amp existed in the Upside Down is not an issue. The UD is a sort of twisted mirror of our world, hence, the trailor, other Hawkins' structures, etc. More to your point, it's the AC power that would be the issue as the season does feature a couple of bits where our heroes flip switches attempting to turn on lights to help 'contact' those in our world, but to no avail. Perhaps, Dustin was able to rig a car battery - remember, flashlights work in the UD - to some sort of DC-AC converter (a mirror of ACDC?) to run the amp. Or maybe Demobats have a thing for attacking air-guitarists.

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The Tarantino "Trunk" shot was present and noted.

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

WYSP in Philadelphia, the hard rock FM station, played Fade To Black in 1986-87, but I never heard anything else by them being broadcast by radio in the 80s. I do recall seeing plenty of Metallica patches as far back as 1983.

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

although Metallica did play my town circa 1983 or 1984 - the showplace in Dover NJ

9. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

Yeah, I did too, in suburban Chicago. A friend of mine was on board with them from '83 onwards and other obscure (at the time) bands like Slayer, Venom, Celtic Frost, Possessed and many, many others (he was an only child whose parents spoiled him rotten). I remember seeing their t-shirts under jean jackets and the patches well before they hit it big. I don't know about radio play, I didn't pay attention.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Maybe the very, very beginning of the season began in March, but I doubt that the entire thing took place in March. For one thing, nobody would be swimming in a lake in the middle of March and not comment on how cold the water is. The season has got to span at least a month, maybe more. The last few episodes taking place in early May seems more plausible, but I’d settle for at least mid April.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I enjoyed the CCR cut being tossed in the soundtrack. 1986 was newsworthy for CCR. John Fogerty had two very successful solo albums but to the surprise of many fans played zero CCR songs on his two solo tours in '84 and '85 due to his bitter battle with Fantasy Records. I recall it was big news in Rolling Stone in 1986 when he did a set of CCR classics in 1986 at the urging of Bob Dylan at a Vietnam vets benefit show

mdm08033 likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Perhaps, but I was very into Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning in 1986, right alongside my Black Sabbath, and I was in North Florida - very much
    Lynyrd Skynyrd country, not a cosmopolitan existence, so it rang true to me.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

You could be right, it is a bit fuzzy on the timeframe.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

cwitt1980 likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I dunno, there's not a whole of down time. First episode is March 21st and it seems to me it's over in a week or even less. Eleven in the Nina lab and Hopper/Joyce in Alaska/USSR could be somewhat indeterminate length, but Will/Jonathan/Mike/Argyle in the pizza van and the gang back Hawkins - everything happens in just a few days. Cold lake water be damned.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I missed the scene where they used a battery to power up the guitar amplifier in the Upside Down. Also, most audio amps run on AC, and it's hard to generate AC in the middle of a field (but not impossible if you have a huge battery and a big inverter). I would run out of space (and time) if I were to list all the logistical inconsistencies of Stranger Things.

There are whole web pages devoted to the mistakes in the show -- here's a couple:

10+ Obvious Netflix Show Mistakes Fans Still Missed

Stranger Things: 10 Major Flaws Of The Show That Fans Choose To Ignore

7 'Stranger Things 4' Plot Holes That Will Keep You Up At Night

At least they mentioned the walkie talkies. I suspect the Duffer Brothers would just say, "F you, we got a billion viewers, they bought our next show, and we made $50 million dollars!" So there is that.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Why do characters have to die? Did The Goonies die? Does anyone want to see Dustin disembowed? These are supposed to be a group of kids. Why would we want this?

You can have effective, moving storytelling without have to kill people your viewers have come to love.

Kill off Eleven, if you have to, just because Millie is running her mouth asking for it. But don't you dare lay a finger on Steve.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lot of rumors going round.

I heard there could be a time jump because the actors have aged so much. I heard 11 is gonna be a much darker character.Who knows for sure.

Loved the final. I hope Eddie makes an appearance.

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

While on top of Eddie's trailer just before he starts playing ("initiating phase three") we see Dustin plug in an extension cord that hangs off the side, but nothing beyond that. Yeah, perhaps a plot hole, but not a big enough one to care about IMO.

It's also a bit inconceivable that a HS kid (albeit one who is ~20 years old) living in a trailer park has at least 4 different guitar amps (there are 7 different objects stacked up, but the other 3 appear to be just extension speakers).

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Power doesn’t work the same on the upside down. Energy from “our” world seems to bleed in to the other side somehow. Or maybe Dustin is just running an extension cord through the portal to plug the amp. That seems to me to be the most common sense thing to do.

Chris DeVoe and noname74 like this.
  22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They said that... but given the way this season ended, I don't see how that could be possible. The time to do that was between seasons 3 and 4.

It may not be a problem... now that the younger kids are in the 18-20 range they aren't going to look too different in a year.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It is for me, since the entire climax hinges on a guy having a big powerful rock 'n' roll amp to fight monsters at the end of the show. No power... no rock 'n' roll. No big guitar solo... no big climax. It's a plot problem.

That would require an extension cord thousands and thousands of feet long... which they didn't have. If they had a big car battery and an inverter, or a gas-powered generator (which would make a lotta noise), maybe they could have gotten 15 minutes out of that... but it wasn't shown, and therefore wasn't there.

I seem to recall an interview with the Duffer Brothers that all of Season 4 takes place over a period of about a week in March 1986. Some story issues are compressed: it's about 400 miles from central California to somewhere in Nevada (assuming it's close to Dr. Owens' town of Ruth, Nevada), and in a van like that, you'd be lucky to get there in 8 hours. If Hawkins, Indiana is near South Bend, then it's another 1800 miles, which would take them at least 3 days to get there from Nevada. Time is bad enough, but trying to logistically explain distances in stories like this is very difficult.

And don't even start with Kamchatka Prison in Siberia. They fly in and out of there on a short-range helicopter fully-loaded with 5 people, and still avoid RADAR and getting shot down by angry Russians? And they get all the way back to Indiana without refuelling? What?

Scott222C likes this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

What thousands? The portal to the other side is literally just below Eddie’s feet! He’s playing on the roof of his trailer and the portal is on the ceiling of his living room. He’d need a 50 ft extension cord, AT MOST.

The other thing regarding the prison escape, they only used the helicopter to leave the prison, they didn’t use it to escape to America. The point of the phone call was to get American agents to pick them up.

Lee Davis, Chris DeVoe and czeskleba like this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I posed this issue to some friends.
    "METAL"
    "Master of Puppets is all the electricity required"

Works for me!

Chris DeVoe, BeatleJWOL and TerryB like this.