The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This shows how differently we hear things...to my ears, "McCartney" is the best sounding of the half speeds you mentioned. I have to give the RSD Odds and Sods a fresh listen.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I thought ODDs n SODs was not very good.
    Brickwalled. The original sounds wonderful.
    But I've been happy with most of the other Miles cuts.

BrettyD likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

I realize that Miles is cutting the vinyl, but notice that Jon Astley did the mastering.

Aren't the Astley remastered CDs rated well? Someone I respect here told me that. Also, is this a new remaster or are they going to use a previous remaster done by Astley?

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The half speed masters of the Who Sell Out, both mixes, sound pretty good.

J_D__, misteranderson and teag like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see this is now shipping.

7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I'm a bit confused on it. Got a note from Sound Of Vinyl saying it was delayed until next week, Amazon claims I'll get it tomorrow if I order from them... anyone know the "scoop"?

J_D__ likes this.
  8. ZigPuff85

ZigPuff85 Well-Known Member

Picked one up today in the U.K

9. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Is it a tri-fold cover? And does it include the libretto? Thanks in advance!

10. ZigPuff85

Yes, has a trifold cover that opens out on the left. It also comes with a thin booklet that contains some imagery and lyrics…is that what you meant by libretto?

DK Pete likes this.
  11. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

That’s what I meant! “Libretto” is just a fancy “opera” word for lyric sheet. Appreciate the quick reply!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    ODShowtime, J_D__ and ZigPuff85 like this.
  12. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

How does it sound?

13. ZigPuff85

I’m nowhere near an expert so someone with more knowledge will no doubt correct me soon…but to my ears this sounds really really good.

Have only had the time to listen to the 1st LP but it sounds very punchy and clear, with vocals and guitars coming across with great clarity. Might have wished for a little more punch with the drums but (bearing in mind I haven’t heard Tommy on vinyl ever before, let alone a first pressing) to these virgin ears it sounds pretty damn good!

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If I had to use one phrase to describe The Who half speed masters, it would be “more punch”

marc with a c likes this.
  15. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I'm sure all 4 original members would love that.

bloodlemons and J_D__ like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

That sounds good. What if you had to write a paragraph comparing Tommy to another version you have heard? And on what system?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Tommyboy and 4-2-7 like this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I have not heard Tommy but, have Face Dances, Odds & Sods and It’s Hard. I have a Denon 4500, Tech turntable and Klipsch speakers. Sorry don’t know model numbers. These vinyls sound smooth, punchy and with more clarity than previous releases. There’s a night and day difference with It’s Hard.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

19. Sir Talbot Buxomly

I like a laugh as much as the next man (as long as the next man isn't a reactionary right-wing cnut...) but, can any owners of this new pressing offer honest opinions of the sound quality, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Geordiepete likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s kind of early isn’t it? How about taking a chance and buying a copy yourself.

21. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

For what it's worth, both KG and BG in recent interviews have pretty much couched half speed mastering as an inferior process that is no longer needed with today's cutting systems, which seems to be why it was created initially for space capacity on the vinyl. BG does a really good job explaining it in the Steve Westman interview.

I recently picked up a '69 Decca pressing for $15.
    It cleaned up nicely and the vinyl is really quite.
    Dynamics are all great. I wouldn’t be interested in trying to upgrade from this copy.

Plinko and ex_mixer like this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Pass. Sure am glad I checked here first. Saw an email promo in my in-box for this and the The Who Sell Out half-speed. Once again, the forum saves me $$$$ ... the caveat being that it steers me (correctly) into spending far more cash than I save, but the upshot is I get good sound.

baroquehoedown33 likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The packaging sounds faithful to the original. I’m going to try this one out as Tommy is a top ten album for me. I have two vinyl versions.. an original Decca and the 180 g Classic reissue. I only hope it’s decent as a pressing; I’ve found Who reissues a bit of a mixed bag.

EdogawaRampo and teag like this.
  24. Sir Talbot Buxomly

I'm quite prepared to, and will be 99% certain to do so, or there or there abouts.

I was just looking for some impressions, early doors.

teag and bloodlemons like this.
  25. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Listening now. Amazon delivered a few hours ago. Say what you will about half-speed as a gimmick, but this sounds really, really good. I've heard Tommy maybe a hundred times over various formats and listening environments over my 47 years and I am totally digging this pressing. I haven't done any A/B-ing yet, but this may be the best I've ever heard this album.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just hit "Eyesight to the Blind." This is the best I've ever heard this album. Drums and low end, especially. Punchy is right.