SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You can't output 5.1 SACD through an optical output I'm afraid. Not enough bandwidth.

Solution to play DSD audio via TOSLINK to my receiver? .

Armjim and Galley like this.
  2. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

To this day I wonder why OPPO stopped making their players. A great product at a price that didn’t break the bank.

Peter_R, Say It Right, ispace and 8 others like this.
  3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I’m guessing this is the correct take:
    “While certainly not privy to the meetings at Oppo, after a multi-decade career in technology I can well imagine how it went down. On the conference room screen the PowerPoint slide shows a graph with time as its horizontal axis and $/Renminbi on the vertical. One data line is labeled 'Development and Support Costs' and is trending sharply up as complexity on top of complexity is heaped onto the platforms. A second data line is labeled 'Annual Player Sales'; alas it trends down over time.

Once those curves cross no amount of passion to build exquisite players will save the day.”

Universal Disk Players

ispace, Simon A, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  4. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I grabbed one the day they announced they were quitting the biz. No regrets. Terrific player, use it every day.

5. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Me as well. Is there any player under $5000 that plays CDs, SACDs, DVDs, and BluRays? If my Oppo craps out, I will have to decide what’s more important. SACDs (for a stand alone player) or BluRays (I am a huge movie buff with 200 DVDs and BluRays).

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Seems it was more of a side job for the company

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Or have two systems like I do (blu ray downstairs, DVD/SACD upstairs).

8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

This one goes on sale for under $200 from time to time. Does 4K and DVD-Audio as well. I've been happy with mine so far.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...-blu-ray-player-black/6336494.p?skuId=6336494

9. I can't find any SACD players that are still being manufacturer for a reasonable price (less than $400). My SACD player won't play SACDs anymore for some reason.

10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but the Sony ones like the ones below are reasonably priced and play SACDs. I’ve got three Sony players now that play SACDs. I’ve never payed more than $400 for them and that includes the ones that are region-free.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Ubp-X800M2-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B07PFRDT16/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QFFOY3HCCL6T&keywords=sony+sacd+player&qid=1657422782&sprefix=sony+sacd+playe,aps,257&sr=8-1

11. I bought the Sony player you listed above. I originally bought it to be a temporary player to hold me over until I bought a more serious player. I was quite surprised with the quality of it's audio output, so I haven't felt a burning need to replace it. It's not going to win any awards for it's styling, the remote is lacking, and I really don't like that it has no indicator display on it's faceplate, however it's sound quality more than makes up for it.

Barnyard Symphony and JakeKlas like this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

ispace, jhm, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  13. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I think I have given up. I could not find any Sony SACD player on eBay that has the HDMI connection and is multichannel. I suppose there is a reason that the format just did not take off. There seem to be quite a few blu-ray players but I am wondering how accurately they would decode a 5.1 SACD, and I hate to spend a $100 and be disappointed. My Marantz SACD player has spectacular sound, so I'll just have to enjoy what I have.

NiceMrMustard likes this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

If it plays surround like Blu Ray, DVD, ect then it will play SACD surround in surround. Tons on there, I just looked/

CryptoSurfer, jhm, jamesc and 4 others like this.
  15. Armjim

Ok, I am going to buy a Sony DAV-DZ170. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope in a couple of weeks I can post an enthusiastic post.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

So did I !

Dillydipper and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

There is (was): Cambridge CXU HD which was around 800 € and cam out first in 2018. I have one - it's similar to a Oppo.

18. So this is a SACD player? The reviews make is ambiguous. May you confirm please that this player indeed is a SACD player?

19. Yes, I can confirm it. SACD is listed on one end of the box along with, Blu Ray Audio, DVD Audio, and a few others. I would not have purchased it had it not had SACD. Hope that helps.

20. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I've been following this thread and I'm puzzled why you'd buy a 10 year old player/integrated amp that was part of a home theater system and doesn't even play blu ray discs or dvd-a assuming you want compatibility with the latter two. Sony currently makes a player that plays everything and outputs audio on hdmi for $250 as as been pointed out a couple of times on this page. The Sony DAV-DZ170 seems like a questionable choice on every level I can think of.

21. Armjim

Because I would rather spend $70 to determine if a surround sound mix is going to be revolutionary for me or not quite what I expected rather than $250 and then find out it is not quite what I had in mind. I don't need compatibility with the blu-rays-I already have a player but it does not access the multi-channel layer of the SACDs.

22. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Ok, for $70 it’s low risk. I assume you’re going to directly connect speakers to the unit?
    SACD signals are not available for the HDMI output for this model.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

The SACD logo, along with the logos of all formats it plays, is also on the back of the X800M2.

24. Armjim

Several other folks posted that the HDMI connection would do what I am seeking; I found the owner's manual on-line and looked at it. It indicated the player will access the multi-channel layer of the SACD disc, and it did show an HDMI connection. I am not going to plug my speakers into it. If I don't get the quadrophonic like sound that I am curious about via the HDMI connection to my Marantz receiver, I'll just consider it a failed experiment-for me anyway- and just love the music for what it is.

25. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.