The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Gray also cuts from digital. Don’t kid yourself.

I think his version of Tommy was cut from digital.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are two different Exile half-speeds. They sound quite different. The first one...isn’t good. The latter is better.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Can I have the dead wax numbers of one or the other?

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Discogs will have them.

5. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

You are correct re: Tommy. His cut of Damned Damned Damned from 2016 is also from digital.

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

This is a great post. Every other year, there's a new (or maybe "new") release of somesuch album by some other artist. There's so many copies of Tommy kicking around, you could lose yourself in yer sleep laying hands on *the* one.

Me? I have the SACD and the remaster from, when was it, 2013 that came out on CD? Both sound great to my ears. Sure, by all means, go find a niche release that'll cost you a pile of money and give you modest return, or maybe even skimped, on that investment.

Oh, and the pile on for Miles again? Give it a rest. He's a good guy and does a good job. Spare me it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    marc with a c and DK Pete like this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I have zero concerns of whether the source for an album on LP is derived from analogue or digital. If the end result is good and honest to the original, then I'm good with it.

TimWare, Zafu, JEM512 and 7 others like this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That’s been my highly touted philosophy since the 2012 Beatles vinyl came out…it’s one thing to dislike the way they sound; it’s a whole other to make a point of the fact that they’re digital and use that as a reason. Additionally, it’s not an absolute that an analog version of a vinyl album will necessarily sound better than it’s digital counterpart.

Pancat, Macman, J_D__ and 4 others like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m going to send you a PM. Need to ask you a few questions

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think the people who work/run the presses don’t care too much. They’re probably not paid well and most likely are overburdened.

Whoever runs QC over there is not doing his/her job correctly to let out as many off centered LPs.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It’s probably more profitable to accept returns than to pay for a QC person.

12. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

One way is that it is not a tri-fold. I'm not at home but I remember that the year on the back bottom cover isn't 2014 . It's 2013. If your holding a tri-fold it isn't the Kevin Gray version you want.

GRC, dasacco and DK Pete like this.
  13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I saw the new half-speed TOMMY for $51.99 today. Wasn't really tempted, due to the very clean early US Decca copy I stumbled on for $10 last month. The new one will be around for a while.

Another vote for the Miles' half-speed Odds 'n' Sods, Live At Leeds, and of course, Sell Out (Mono and Stereo).

perplexed and DK Pete like this.
  14. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

I've switched out the inners too. It's am easy fix, just frustrating that they don't use better quality sleeves in the first place.

I'm not going to attempt to get it back in, as I'm too worried about doing exactly that.

landerstnkb and DK Pete like this.
  15. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

And it's a shame because Optimal's pressing quality is probably the best around? Once I clean a new Optimal LP before playing it, I hear absolutely zero surface noise when I play the record. I'd like if somebody like MF could do an article on why this keeps happening throughout the vinyl record manufacturing industry. I have even had to fix mildly off centre spindle holes on a few of my Blue Note Tone Poets. I read somewhere years ago that it is very difficult to keep the stampers correctly aligned in the press during the course of a pressing run. That speaks to a design flaw or something of that nature, if there was any truth in that statement? Spindles holes from the decent plants are usually only 'marginally' off centre but they are 'off' just enough to require some intervention, in my experience. I think, in fact I know, that a great many vinyl enthusiasts/collectors don't even notice this. Still, I think I'll be visiting my local record store today to pick up this new issue of 'Tommy'. I only have it on SACD and I'd like to have a vinyl copy that sounds good.

Tommyboy and bibijeebies like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I had to be equally careful with the Classic Records version...even though the records came in polylined sleeves, the relatively thin tri fold caused the same pain. I keep the discs out of/alongside the cover inside the outer sleeve.

landerstnkb likes this.
  17. haynk

haynk Forum Resident

listened to my copy twice through now. optimal did a great job pressing the copy i received -- flat and without issues during play.

sounds pretty darn good to me ...but, my only reference is a ~1992 tape cassette!! i would agree with the "punchy" comment upthread. very pronounced highs that might be a touch bright on my system. also, probably among the best soundstage i have heard -- very wide, deep and 3D

very glad to have this reissue ...and to be listening to this great title once again.

ohh -- the packaging is outstanding!! but, replace the paper inner sleeves with rice paper ones or the like.

landerstnkb and J_D__ like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

None. All CD versions up until now. I can’t compare to other Tommy vinyl pressings, but as a standard vinyl release, this pressing sounds very good.

landerstnkb likes this.
  19. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I have some offcenter lps I didn’t get around to play till well past a return period

What is your technique to centering the record

Thanks

20. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Kevin Gray's is digital but it is head and shoulders above the new Half Speed Master. If you are looking for a well rounded shoot out. Mike from the In Groove did one a few years back. Kevin Gray's version held up well. I think it was the 3rd or 4th pressing on his list. The Classic is number 1 and the Original UK Track was number 2. Avoid the US Decca at all cost.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I haven't got the Gray; is it a regular gatefold? I have a Classic but I also have a Decca...while the latter may be low on the list, I don't find it as bad as many insist it is.

landerstnkb likes this.
  22. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Hey, mind providing Discogs links to the KG? With so many bloody versions it's def hard to keep track :)

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I know this sounds very OCD'ish but what I do is, replace it. I'll tolerate a bit of surface noise (I did say, "a BIT") over an off center hole which will basically affect every track on the album (or, at least, album side).

24. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

So, where are we now?

It seems like the Kevin Gray aficionados are not prepared to admit his 2013/14 pressing was from a digital source.

But then, ok, it WAS from a digital source.

Maybe.

But none of this matters cos: a) Miles Showell is a fckin clueless idiot, and b) ABR "Half Speed Mastered" vinyl is a load of old bollox.

Have I missed anything else important? [​IMG]

russell_smith likes this.
  25. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Oh, found it:

KG 2014: The Who - Tommy

pompadour likes this.