The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

TOoMaNY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marc Perman likes this.
  2. Highwaystar

Highwaystar Forum Resident

I bought this chiefly because the order of the sides on my other copy doesn't work for me. However I played the overture this afternoon after giving it a quick clean and it sounds fantastic. There's barely any noise either.

I think I have a 2013 copy so I don't know which that will be.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I ignored the 2013 but judging from the comments on it here I may have to backtrack; my half speed is on order.

4. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

PM me and I'll send you a printout that I prepared about 6 years ago. I only buy vinyl that is pressed by plants I trust so I don't encounter crazily off centred discs. It is almost always marginal on one side only and fixing it is usually very easy and not at all destructive. You don't need to make a 'dog's dinner' of the spindle hole, in other words.

5. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

No problem.

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I already have a 2nd Track Records pressing and the Classic Records press. Wonder if i need this new Half Speed. Waiting for sound comparisons!

7. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

The In-Groove shootout put the Decca in a solid third place. I really like the sound of the Deccas, especially the WLP and the GK reissue. They’re cut loud and hot and accentuate the acoustic guitars and Keith Moon’s drumming. I would say avoid the MCA 70s reissues at all costs. The German copy in the Phases box sounds good also, but has strange extra pauses between some of the tracks. It was not included in that shootout video. YMMV.

JFSebastion, beatleswho and DK Pete like this.
  8. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Where’s that In-Groove ranking?
    I would like to listen the GK reissue! How can i identify one of those copies?

DK Pete likes this.
  9. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

in groove video is here:

The Gilbert Kong cut has the regular black Decca labels and has his initials GK in the deadwax (in groove) on all 4 sides.

beatleswho and dee like this.
  10. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Meant to say avoid the MCA !!

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm a bit confused with all the gazillion 'Tommy' versions

What's the best digital one?

:wave:

12. JFSebastion

My bad I meant to say MCA. Decca pressings are good. MCA bad.

misteranderson and DK Pete like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Looking forward to your review...

DK Pete and JFSebastion like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have an original UK Track and...I think I have an original US. The UK sounds close to sublime to my ears.

BrettyD and DK Pete like this.
  15. JFSebastion

Boy howdy to that. Can be said for many a reissue by artists. I think you get what you pay for when Gray or Hoffman or Grundman or Bellman's name is in the deadwax

DK Pete likes this.
  16. JFSebastion

The Kevin Gray digital is hard to beat in that realm

ponkine likes this.
  17. Highwaystar

Tore my last remaining outer sleeve trying to protect this. It's oversized.

18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Oversized like some double/triple albums from the BBC archives (Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, Bowie @ Glasto 2000)?

19. Highwaystar

I don't own those records sorry. It's similar to some British stuff I have like Oasis and Stone Roses - it's like the width across the face of the album is about 2-3mm more than is usual.

EDIT: the Oasis one in question (I've just had a look at what isn't sleeved) - it's the recent Knebworth set. I'd say it's about that size.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Those BBC albums I have are over 1/2" wider than a standard LP cover - 13" - I don't know why.

21. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

This is all a little confusing.
    This is my Decca release; sounds really good.

The Who - Tommy

However the '73 MCA TML cut of Quadrophenia sounds even better sonically.
    I know it's a different title but MCA LPs are not bad (in general).

Perhaps In Groove was out of the Groove for this youtube video?

misteranderson likes this.
  22. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

I may do something like what I did for Taylor Swift’s redone version of Red. That was a 4-LP set in a basic gatefold with two LPs each in heavy stock inners jammed into each side of the gatefold opening. I bought two of those white 12” single sleeves to provide some additional rigidity for LP 3 and 4, leaving LP 1 and 2 each singly in the gatefold slots. The problem with this Tommy is the thickness of the trifold. Even with my slightly bigger outer sleeves, it’s just too thick to easily allow repeated sliding on and off of the outer. I just may use the current outer to hold the primary cover and move both LPs to separate 12” single outers with then my good inner sleeves and my usual outer sleeves.

See my comment above.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

I’m Here’s what things look like for how I handled Taylor swift. First image shows how it looks stacked. Second and third shows how you can see my inner sleeve can be seen and then also how I just included the heavy stock inner into the package.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This sounds in complete contrast to the Classic version which has a pretty delicate cover. Wouldn’t the thicker be preferable?

25. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Except the date on the bottom of the back cover is 2013. It’s very confusing. I actually found a sealed copy in my local record store yesterday, bought it for $39 Cdn, took it home and checked every number on the cover in Discogs, then my held my breath as I removed the shrink to find Gray’s initials in the dead wax. It does sound good but I have nothing to compare it to.

landerstnkb and JFSebastion like this.