The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

oh I agree. It’s just super tight in my outer sleeve. So I could also just find an outer sleeve meant for thicker albums

DK Pete likes this.
  2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I would just stop with that one. I've owned various pressings (tho not the Classic) and that Kevin Gray does everything right IMO.

JFSebastion, DK Pete and Macman like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This release has many fine moments; however, I agree with those who cited the high end as a tad distracting.

dee and DK Pete like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’m taking all these little details to heart… my copy should arrive by Saturday. Before sitting with the entire album I plan on picking three or four specific tracks from it and directly compare them, back to back, one by one,to those on my Classic copy. From all I’ve read here, I expect the Classic to win out, overall. But by the same token, the half speed seems to be garnering positive reviews on its own merits. Should be an interesting comparison.

Jon H. likes this.
  5. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

It's been released and people have it, naturally he's looking for opinions. How about letting people spend their own money as they wish lol.

john lennonist likes this.
  6. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

'This sucks pretty hard' LMAO

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

So has anyone found an outer sleeve that fits this monstrosity?

8. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I have the 2015 reissue vinyl and do like the clarity, while I concede it lacks the punch of an original UK cut.

JFSebastion likes this.
  9. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Tommy and Quadrophenia are 2 different albums. I never said everything MCA does or did is bad. I only commented on Tommy. And yes Mike at the In Groove is correct. The 1977 MCA pressing is bottom of the barrel.

ArpMoog likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

I'm curious which tracks you might select?
    I was going to roll a few pressings out and compare a few I have.
    I was thinking Go To The Mirror might be a good one to compare.
    Maybe Cousin Kevin for the group vocals.
    If I even get that far.

So, fwiw, I went with Mirror Boy and I liked the 71Kong over the 89Gray.
    Except Side 3 is the 1 side unsigned of the 4 sides by KPG!
    So I had to go to Christmas instead and again I was quite engaged and on the edge of my cushion as Kong's crashed and thumped around me.
    If that helps lol, anyone, well alright.

ODShowtime, DK Pete and Jon H. like this.
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Ok for starters, you dumped this post into this thread saying the above.
    Have you compared the new Abbey Road half speed of this title with the 2013 Keven Grey? Because I haven't seen any post saying you bought it and compared it.

Or are you talking about the previous Half Speed done by Miles in 2012-13? at Metropolis Mastering (which wouldn't be The New One").

And this part of your comment wouldn't include this new mastering be cause it just came out.
    Not to mention, do you listen for yourself? Or do you depend on others to listen for you?

Yes you keep making post in this thread that are misleading and confusing others, and maybe just regurgitating what you see in vids from other people. Your post are confusing others and quite possibly costing them money, as many posters were asking for links and also went searching.

teag and JFSebastion like this.
  12. JFSebastion

As well as it is a gatefold not a tri-fold. Sad to say but easily identifiable

13. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Still trying to find difference between same barcode KG press from 2013/2014 and the Miles 2015 version I own. Is it just a replating of Kevin's? Or is this a pre-halfspeed Miles with a unique mastering?

JFSebastion likes this.
  14. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I'm using Vinyl Storage Solutions with the three-part outers (two pocket and one that's a double opening), same as I used on my Classic version

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How about minding your own business. Lol

teag likes this.
  16. JFSebastion

Yeah I listened to it at the record store I went to on Friday. It's not better than the Kevin Gray cut ( why would that be a surprise to anyone). As for Mike's video, he can defend himself, but I will say his musical ear is better than mine . I don't blanket state that all Half Speeds are bad or that all MCA records are bad. The Half Speed Odds and Sods to my ears sounds good. Matter of opinion the Half Speed Tommy is better than the MCA though.
    As a thought I just realized that MCA did issue a nice pressing of Who's Next. Mikey Fremer raves about it in a press sheet included with the album. Is it Classic label good, no but it's good and Kevin Gray worked on that release as well.
    I am not misleading anyone, just stating my opinion. Grow a pair and quit crying . You don't have to agree with me and that's fine. I've stated many times I'm only audiophile to a point. I like some vinyl that is digitally sourced. The Beatles 2012 Let It Be comes to mind.. I like some Half Speed Masters ( Ram yes ,McCartney no Police greatest hits yes ,Tommy no) . Not every One Step is best in every shootout. Same for Acoustic Sounds UHQR, but both of them are Audiophile labels that garner plenty of buzz when they announce a release. My UHQR Hendrix Are You Experienced is tops, but the Marino cut is damn close and a quarter of the price. For some buyers that will do.
    I don't own Tommy on Showell's Half Speed but I listened to it. I was curious where it would be on the list. Since we haven't had a pure analog (AAA) Who reissue in years, my opinion is we are not going to see one again. All the tapes are getting old. Dark Side of the Moon is another. The 2016 Grundman is really good. The 30th anniversary is better. You have to go back a ways for an analog issue that they released.

17. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

would you mind posting a link? Thanks ahead of time!

18. JFSebastion

That's one I haven't heard. Miles is capable of good Mastering. The Pete Townshend Ronnie Lane Rough Mix is a good example to my ears

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

A '70s Rough Mix is still a dirt cheap record. $5-$10. Sounds nice too. Didn't know Showell did a version of that one.

teag and JFSebastion like this.
  20. JFSebastion

I had the manager open a copy for me. I wasn't sure what I had in my hands.

Macman likes this.
  21. JFSebastion

2017 Half Speed. Red translucent vinyl. Very good. Classic did one too. Fremer said it was the best. I haven't heard that version

22. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

JFSebastion and Jeff Bamberger like this.
  23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Got it, in other words you haven't comparded anything and came to a opinion from bias and over a quick spin at a record store..

teag and Sply like this.
  24. JFSebastion

<moderator edit>I heard it, nuff said. I own several Tommy's. I don't own a Classic ( Not at current prices) and I won't own the Half Speed. Most people can sift thru the opinions just fine. <moderator edit> Have a little faith in the forum community.

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It's OK to own just one version of one of your favorite albums and be satisfied with it. In fact, it's normal.

On Discogs, the Classic Tommy is going for $290 ---> to...wait for it...$2,181.

JFSebastion likes this.