The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Right on , a lot of those later 70's blue MCA's kinda suck. Blanket syndrome.

JFSebastion likes this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The brown label ones are worse.

EdogawaRampo and JFSebastion like this.
  3. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I own the classic records and it does sound wonderful however like quite a lot of classic records I have it has annoying defects which kind of ruin the listening experience, I also own an
    Early us pressing which is pretty noisy, so i’m on the lookout for a new copy and tempted by the half speed, I was very impressed by the recent Roxy music and police greatest hits releases.

Apologies if I missed it but did anyone compare the classic with the half speed?

DK Pete and JFSebastion like this.
  4. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Yeah I can't see my self buying a Classic at those prices. As to multiple copies , it is normal for 95% of my collection. However there are some albums I own more than one. Revolver, Dark Side , Tommy, Abbey Road, the White Album, Let It Be, Animals , and a few others. Some for sentimental reasons, some because of Remixes ( Giles) some because of colored vinyl ( Animals Pink ) , some because of mono vs stereo.

maui jim likes this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I've got a brown Meaty that sounds good.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

With very few exceptions I have found the same. Nicely packaged and well pressed, but lifeless for many titles is a good description. When are people going to stop falling for the half speed master hype? I do think the Marley titles are very, very good. But that’s the exception.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Huh? Totally disagree. You kinda blew any credibility you may have had by comparing the Abbey Road output to the One Steps. I have a lot of everything you brought up. The Abbey Road stuff is by far the most hit and miss of the sample labels you cite, where the One Steps are almost universally outstanding. I’ll concede some of the standard MFSL releases can be hit and moss, but I own well over 150 and maybe one is bad, maybe ten a bit meh (like the Linda Ronstadt stuff) but I’m quite thrilled with all the rest. If I were to take a chance on any of the labels, it wouldn’t be Abbey Road at this point. Like Strat mangler, I’ve tried quite a few and won’t be getting any more unless I’ve read it is well done.

Regarding the half speed mastering, to me it is a complete gimmick. I’ve compared enough to know. I never buy them anymore if that is the only thing unique about the pressing. I wouldn’t avoid a pressing because of it either. I just don’t hear a bit of difference and I’ve compared an awful lot of like albums to come to that conclusion.

8. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Abbey Rd 1/2 speed of I and Wild Life are noticeable improvements from Anniv editions. Mumbo explodes out of the gate.

fmfxray373 and Mumbo like this.
  9. RogerE

RogerE Rambo, the world famous squirrel, says yeah!

Police box sounds great.
    McCartney Flaming Pie sounds great.
    Sade box sounds great.
    Seconds Out sounds great.
    Live At Leeds sounds great.

10. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Gotta love this place - page after page of bickering & ultracrepidarianism, but nobody's answered the question I came here for: WHICH VERSION OF EYESIGHT IS USED?

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Sonny Boy Williamson's?
    ;):);)
    Do I have that right?

12. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Very good.

There are two versions: the more restrained vocal on the early versions was replaced at some point (in the 70s I think?) by the screamy vocal. When I bought the SD last decade and heard the 2nd version for the 1st time, I nearly swallowed my Skoal Bandits.

landerstnkb and JFSebastion like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Christmas will be one of the choices...I'm especially interested in the drum sound.

boboquisp, john lennonist and dee like this.
  14. Salvatore Pagano

Salvatore Pagano Forum Resident

Guys your talk is very interesting but... someone listened to this 2022 half speed remaster? How's the overall sound? :)

john lennonist likes this.
  15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Why do you think anyone is buying the Abbey Road records because they are mastered half speed?
    That's like saying they buy records because it says 180g, pressed on red vinyl, Supper Vinyl, Gain2 mastering, Original source Used, Pressed at QRP, Only a 1000 pressed per stamper, and the list goes on as far as a manufacturer advertisement.

I buy records that I like the title and music of first and foremost, then is the quality of the pressing up to snuff to buy. I then buy the record and form an opinion based on listening for myself if it's good or not. It only has to be a good listen to me, and I listen without bias. The fact of the matter I put more weight on who is doing the plating and pressing work. Over who is doing the mastering, is it digital or analog, the prior steps can all go out the window if the last steps are crappy.

That brings us to MFSL
    I'v been buying MFSL records since 1979 and all through the decades to today. Japan pressing work was outstanding, switching to RTI, not so much. I have bought any MFSL title that I'm interested in the music and haven't been to impressed with the pressing work and quality control. Now this is not "Always" bad, but it's pretty often and when a record cost you $135 it down right pissis me off. I can buy $20, $30 $50 records and the pressing work is far far better.

Speaking of "Hype" and Half Speed Mastering your saying people are buying the Abbey Road records because of it. MFSL has been saying and doing it for over 30 years and only recently stopped doing it. But they are selling records today on Hype and Gimmicks that bias Audiophiles love to hear. Original Master Recording, One Step, Supper Vinyl, Gain 2 Ultra Analog......

Then you get your record and it sounds like rice krispies, all the hype just went out the window.

That said I do also have some definitive copies that are MFSL records, but I don't arbitrarily dismissed any record without listening to it first. That includes these Abbey Road records that people think are fair game. Talk about blowing credibility, anyone who cast judgement on records they never even listen to has zero credibility. Oh I once bought a Abbey Road record ten years ago and it was bad so all others are bad also. They use digital in the mastering so it sounds bad, this is bias.

Have a listen before casting an opinion.....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Vinylfindco and DK Pete like this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It’s my go to version. It has more punch than any other version.

jmatuchi, bloodlemons and DK Pete like this.
  17. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Since it was mentioned above - I just bought a copy of the 2021 repress with the bonus LP and poster.

The Who - The Who Sell Out

For anyone who has both, how does it compare to the half speed single disc version?

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I have the original UK Track, the Japanese, and now this half-speed pressing. The new half-speed is no slouch - it has a great sound stage and a terrific mid-range. The guitars and vocals sound very realistic and dimensional. I believe the original Track has a slightly better bottom end but this new master is well worth an investment. The packaging is very well-done except for the inner sleeves but that is easily remedied.

19. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

It’s the original vocal and not the alternate vocal version from the Tommy - Part 1 album that came out in 1972 (UK).

healter skealter and dee like this.
  20. RogerE

is this the remix?

21. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

Is the alternate Eyesight only on the Tommy Part 1 album? I don't think I've heard of that before now.

landerstnkb likes this.
  22. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Yes, I believe so.

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The alternate Eyesight is also on the MFSL cd.

24. bob fett

bob fett Well-Known Member

This was fun.

Early a.m. Amazon delivery went straight on the turntable and sounded excellent. Roger's vocals sounded exactly like every other version I've ever listened to, but everything else was remarkably clear and distinct.

25. RogerE

means this is not the remix?