The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Like Lost and Found and WatF ok. Pleasant, but not earth shattering.

I will mention that I have the same guitar strap as Dave in at least one of those videos, as did Keith Richards around this time.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Or hayfever or a pigeon chest?

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  3. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Lost and Found is my favorite song on Think Visual, which may not be saying all that much. It’s not much cop lyrically, though I never did connect it to the hurricane, but it’s still an ear worm. Nice vocal. Verging on “adult contemporary”.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Repetition.

stereo mix, recorded Jun-Jul 1986 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

You get up in the morning
    And every single day
    Is just a repetition
    It's always been that way
    You live alone inside your head
    Incommunicado, in the land of living dead

Each day's a repetition
    Of the one that went before
    Like watching an old movie
    You can't sit through anymore
    Why don't you kick the habit
    And walk right out that door?

From all the repetition
    Day after day
    All the repetition
    It's always been that way

It's in your head, it's in your eyes
    You're boring and it's no surprise
    With all the repetition
    Day after day
    All the repetition

They say it's time to start all over
    And call it a day
    But you go right back where you started
    Day after day
    You go right back to where you started
    Day after day, after day, after day, after day

You look in the mirror
    Is anybody there?
    It's only a reflection
    That doesn't really care
    You're a product of your time
    Looking hard for something, but you never saw the sign

Lock inside a prison
    But that's where you wanna be
    Stuck in solitary
    And you've thrown away the key
    You say you want your freedom
    But you don't wanna get away
    Then you wake up, it's time for you
    To start another day
    With all the repetition, day after day, all the repetition
    All the repetition day after day
    Another chance, another day
    You know it's time to get away from all the repetition
    Day after day
    How long you gonna sit and wait
    You're getting on it's getting late

They say it's time to start all over
    And call it a day
    But you go right back where you started
    Day after day
    You go right back to where you started
    Day after day, after day, after day, after day

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music Ltd.

This is a cool moderate rocker.

As we have noticed recently we have had several tracks that look at the idea of a groundhog day existence, and of course Return to Waterloo is essentially a variation on that theme.....
    Here we have this bright and chirpy track with the same theme. We have for the most part some pretty standard chord progressions and styling, but I think the bridge manages to put a bit of extra sparkle into it, and Ray's vocal delivery also adds a lot of value here.

To some degree the lyrics are pointing out that although the person is caught in this permanent cycle, they aren't overly keen on breaking the cycle... and that is fair to some degree, but there are many factors that keep us locked in the box that we are... Personally I would love to be footloose and fancy free, messing around on the beach, listening to music and smoking fat doobies, but the reality is that I have commitments and responsibilities, and so the idealised lifestyle has no place in the cycle.
    The interesting thing is though, for many people, even if they got off the merry-go-round they are on, it would merely be substitutionary, because there would just be a change of the repetition.... like substitutionary addiction, we tend to gravitate towards certain positions. Like water naturally finding its own level.... the other thing is, after being in the system for decades the drive and imagination tends to dry up somewhat, and a lot of the things that would have appealed as a younger person, don't have the same kind of appeal.

Life is an interesting game, whether we are bludgeoned with repetition or not.

I think this is a really solid song full of hooks and melodies, and a fantastic vocal from Ray that is full of personality.

For all of the things I could say about this song that lean a little negative ...
    - it isn't some kind of challenging new sound or style
    - Ray has examined this idea before

I can say things that I feel to be positives
    - This is a fun bouncy track
    - It has a good melody and the bridge is excellent
    - The vocal delivery is top class.

So I enjoy this song a lot....

So 3 for 3 for me
    In spite of the fact that on initial listens this album seemed like it may be a bit bland, the closer I have gotten to the album, the more appealing it has presented itself as. It isn't groundbreaking work. It isn't some amazing new insight into the human condition.....
    It is a batch of very good songs, presented in very digestible songs that I enjoy.

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Well there's a cheerful lyric to start the day with!

Brian x, Fortuleo, DISKOJOE and 8 others like this.
  6. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Repetition"

In a similarly repetitive fashion, the above video is again showing as "unavailable" for me, so try this one:

It's another Ray Davies song about the routine of daily life, and it's called "Repetition" - it's almost defying you to disregard it and move on to the next track!

But if you do, you'll miss another very nice, catchy track. I like the ascending chord sequence that appears towards the end of each verse, and I especially like the "they say it's time to start all over" bridge section. It's bouncy and it's enjoyable, and incorporates a couple of sneaky key changes.

Again, it's really not groundbreaking, but it keeps this album ticking along nicely. It's nothing more than an average Ray Davies song that he could knock out in his sleep, but most bands would kill for Ray's kind of average. It's probably one of the lesser tracks on the album for me, but still absolutely fine.

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I would say this is, er.. not a song that transcends it's subject matter. In fact it evokes it all too well. :( Ray has been writing a lot on these themes recently, not just RtW but 'Cliches' (which treats the subject with a lot more 'soul' for want of more accurate terminology) and 'Do It Again' (which rocks a LOT more convincingly and has that kind kareer enkapsulating momentum) but this is just kinda.. there. Ray started writing a lot of these one-word titled songs about downbeat subject matter around the post Arista era: 'Aggavation, 'Phobia' and while 'Repetition' isn't as outright depressing as those it's just kinda glib and 'there it is'. It sounds like it was recorded inside a Rubiks Cube on the desk of a white collar workers cubicle too. Bridge is kinda nice I guess, but nah.. overall it's a claustrophobic and debilitatingly nothing track. Ray and the Kinks could so so much better

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Another good but not great track. Nice harmonies. So far it’s a very consistent album.

9. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

One of my favorite Ray Davies's numerous takes on the subject of repetition (and after all it is fit that Ray should repeat himself on such a topic). Better than Predictable and Do It Again, lighter than Clichés of the World, not as good as Return to Waterloo. Really pleasant song.

CheshireCat, Smiler, Brian x and 16 others like this.
  10. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

There was a thread going around about what constitutes "filler". "Repetition" might fall into the category in my view. On one level, this song is a lesson in irony (in a way Alanis Morrisette could not have imagined). This is a pretty repetitive song called "Repetition" about the repetitive nature of life. There is also an irony in the song's sound being somewhat cheerful in order to communicate an idea about how mundane everything can be. And on some level, it has to be a joke (though some might think if it is a joke, it is not very funny!). I am pretty sure if I listen to it enough times, it will find a place in my brain. It is still kind of catchy despite its flaws.

11. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Repetition

Do it Again
    redux. So why is it I never skip this song? It even makes the occasional playlist. If this is one of my least favorite Kinks song, why do I often seek out it’s company? Musically rote, it also does nothing wrong, it’s inconspicuous. There’s no virtuosity to the playing, yet some sections are absolutely lovely. All of that is what sneaks it past my inner-bouncer, a true curmudgeon always on the lookout for banal (under-age) lyrics. And the lyrics are the reason I despise this song (and myself for not despising it enough!).
    A favorite author and essayist, Martin Amis, does not suffer such foolishness; even titling one collection The War Against Cliche. If he won’t stand for it, why should I? ‘Repetition’ is a depot for tired, unwanted, quotidian phrases. Ray phoned this one in, and there’s the rub. ‘Repetition’ is the idiot brother of ‘Do it Again.’ It’s Jim Belushi, not John. Dom batting for Joe DiMaggio. Tito Jackson dressed as Michael.
    While we’re on the topic of brothers, and to further complicate my rationalization, here’s some personal backstory.
    My cousins, Donald and Michael, couldn’t be more different. Donald was a few years older, looked very much like Steven Tyler, had a big Pearl drum kit, and generally drifted from job to job, a
    many of them in record stores. A real black sheep, adored by my sister. Michael was the brains, becoming a scientist at General Electric (and holding two patents), married his college sweetheart, moved up to Saratoga and started a big family. Well, cousin Donald gave me my first guitar, a white (with black stripes) Ibanez Flying-V. He must’ve given me an amp too, because I was plugged in, teaching myself guitar that evening. And what, pray tell, was the first song I chose to play along with? Bingo!
    I remember myself in that small bedroom, studying my hands in the mirror, the glass doorknob, the royal blue bedspread, like it was last night. Who else could possibly claim this song as their first? I’ve since lost track of Donald. We were never a particularly close-knit family, even then, which made his generous gift so unexpected. The dead, however, can always be located. Michael dropped dead at 50, a massive heart attack, same as his father at 51.
    A memory bubbling up in my mind right now; it’s September 1985, a Word of Mouth cassette sits on the television console in their home. I don’t know which cousin it belongs to, though my moneys on Michael. It was usually a holiday or a funeral when we’d get together, and as we’d just returned from their father’s burial, I didn’t care to ask.

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Tbh, not sure why I'm so down on this and not, say 'Definite Maybe'. I do think the lyric is very poor (by Ray Davies high standards!) cos it doesn't really go anywhere beyond the 'life's a b*tch' level surface downbeat platitudes (is there a name for the negative version of a platitude? if not, there should be).. I think a song like this should 'take you' somewhere else for a bit, whether it's to a more positive alternative or at least on some kind of journey for a bit to give it more depth, otherwise it's got all the enduring power of a bad 'Far Side' knock off Sunday cartoon or a meme posted by a Grandma to Facebook.

I think that main bluesy riff that runs through the verse and pre chorus is a big part of the problem.. it just sounds glib and dumb.. it sounds like something created to soundtrack an extended home video blooper show clip featuring two bumbling workmen attempting to get a glass chandelier across a busy road.. and not in a good way.

That said, that bridge is growing on me quite a bit.. love Rodfords ascending line in it. I guess it is good in some ways that The Kinks are keeping it light on much of this album, against the grain of the times, but I dunno.. it does just seem insubstantial and skeletal as opposed to tasteful and unique (as The Kinks lighter late 60s stuff came over).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  13. The late man

14. mark winstanley

I don't really see this song as being particularly negative...

I think it speaks to the comfort of repetition.... which may seem odd to a bunch of wild rebellious rockers like us lol, but many people take comfort in repetition, knowing how everything will be laid out each day.... no alarms and no surprises please....

Ray is looking at it bewildered, not understanding how this person can be so comfortable with this completely scheduled life....
    In many ways is is sort of like the equivalent of someone into hardcore, not understanding why someone else loves MOR country music or something....

I think that's why it has the bright cheery sound...
    It is like Ray plays the antagonist, but his barbs and judgements don't touch the person, who is happy with what they have to be happy with.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

This 1992/3 Ray Davies directed documentary on Mingus/the making of a Mingus tribute album (feat. Keith Richards and Charlie Watts) is actually on Youtube! @mark winstanley , should we do this one when the time comes, or is it too far outside the wheelhouse of Kinks/Ray/Dave activity given it's about the music of another artist? Maybe it could get a Sunday....

16. mark winstanley

I have no problem with checking it out....
    If it is something one of the Davies lads did, it seems it would be relevant from my perspective.

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yeah I believe Ray's third wife Pat Crosbie was part of the Kinks live entourage circa the late 80s/early 90s, appearing onstage (I think with another dancer) to dance to the experimental sound collage/EDM (yes really!) track 'New World'.. I would bet it's likely that there are people on this very thread who saw some of those shows and can tell us more about how well that worked and how it went down with audiences.

18. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Repetition: Wherein Ray repeats himself again. In a way, I know what he's saying. When I hear him repeatedly harp on this theme, I do sense the drudgery he seems obsessed with. The conundrum is I feel bored and restless whenever he does another song about feeling bored and restless. And I make the same comments about Ray's unfortunate penchant. The problem I have with Ray's standard issue "your life is boring and so are you by extension" songs: what's the realistic alternative? Find a more exciting job that does something different routinely? Over time, you'll notice patterns: the city paramedic handling his 115th gunshot wound, the cop answering his 2,000th domestic dispute call. The rock star playing the same song onstage for the 950th time, in a routine tour stop for a city he's been to 60 times and doesn't like? Not work at all? I tried that. Didn't work. If Ray's describing a human condition that's inevitable, why not just accept it and learn to live with it? That was one of the deeper lessons I learned on 9/11, when all I wanted to do was get my daily routines back in a decimated city. I haven't subscribed to this aspect of Ray's perspective ever since.

19. mark winstanley

So just an update on the more immediate sections of the thread.
    With the Mingus doco, and the Dave and John Carpenter stuff, we'll look something like this.
    Again don't get stressed that it looks like a lot, those compilations are going to work their way into Saturday posts for weekend discussion.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record, and hopefully won't raise expectations too high, but I am really looking forward to 80 days, I'm loving it.... It is demos, but it is super appealing to me, in spite of a couple of possibly contentious lyrics.... I reckon it's going to be a really interesting discussion.

Think Visual - Nov 86
    The Kinks Are Well Respected Men - Sep 87
    The Road - Jan 88
    Ray Davies 80 Days - 1988
    Greatest Hits - 1989
    Ultimate Collection - 1989
    UK Jive - Oct 89
    Lost And Found (86-89) - 1991
    Did Ya (single and EP) - Oct 91
    Weird Nightmare 92/93
    The Definitive Collection - 1993
    A Portrait Of The Kinks - 1993
    Phobia - Mar 93
    To The Bone - Oct 94
    Waterloo Sunset 94 EP - Oct 94
    In The Mouth Of Madness first track 95
    Village Of The Damned - John Carpenter/Dave Davies - 1995
    The Definitive Collection - 1996
    You Really Got Me The Very Best Of The Kinks - 1997
    The Singles Collection - 1997
    Ray Davies Storyteller - 1998

Let me know if there is still anything missing we need to look at

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The 2CD US version of 'To The Bone' wasn't issued until 1996 (exact month I'm not sure of.. think it would have to be the second half of the year though) and though the live tracks were all taped 1993-4, the 2 new studio tracks are from 1996 (the last studio recordings The Kinks made as a group to date) so I would say that would have to go in the khronology as a 1996 release.

21. The late man

...and aren't there some Dave tunes intersticed in the chronology ? And some unreleased-at-the-time stuff such as Million Pound Semi-Detached ? (Don't know if there are more of those)

22. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Repetition: A step down from the first two powerhouse tracks, but not a big step down. Like a twin of sorts to Predictable, but that’s not a bad thing. I like the echo each time Ray says “repetition”. Great kinksy music, with some solid riffing from Dave (although apparently not enough room in the track available for Dave to insert a longer solo). I like it, its not top flight Kinks but its still a fun listen.

Mid Album ThinK Visual Random Thought: Solid album thus far. Sometimes solid starts to be a bit samey though. As is the case with some artists, they seem to survive long enough to dial in the formula. I am not saying this is a complete repetition of what came before, Ray is too ambitious for that, but he knows how to crank the tunes out (like a factory) at this point. It does seem that once legacy bands get the formula is down, then the peaks and valleys tend to disappear. Every song on this album is playable. Every song is at least at least a 3 out 5 for me. but where are the standout klassics? ...or even more interestingly for my thesis, where are the true duds. Even Video Shop, which I intended to hate (within the first 20 seconds of it starting to play it for my first listen, I had already written it off). I mean, a song about video shops is just sooooo r&r! (insert sound of sarcasm here please)). ...and yet, its just a typikal Kwirky kinks topik, so it worms its way in and I walk around the apartment singing to Dani the dog about video shops?!?!? Anyway, good album, but maybe bit predictable at this point. Not a reason to tune out, many of the bands I love fall into this trap, but I say that's fine. Thankfully R&R cities is coming to shake things up :D.

23. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I had not read others thoughts yet before posting. this says what I was saying but you said it rather more succinctly, thanks!

24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

MPSD is a UK Jive outtake by The Kinks but was first issued on the 1997 Singles Collection/Waterloo Sunset twofer.. I would vote we cover it with 'UK Jive'..

As for the other two new tracks on that comp, did we ever work out where 'The Shirt' should go in the khronology? There seemed to be 3 timeframes suggested.. (late 70s, early 80s and solo 90s!).. maybe it should just go with the 1997 comp as it's somewhat mysterious timeline wise.. it would appear to be a bit like RtW in that Dave is absent but otherwise it's The Kinks personnel.

'My Diary' appears to be a 100% solo Ray track from the 90s so should prob just be discussed with the 1997 twofer.

Open to anyone elses suggestions though! paging @mark winstanley and @Michael Streett in particular.

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Repetition’: I enjoyed listening to this . Two distinct parts and a bridge, a nice bass line…the obligatory guitar solo seems a bit standard issue…but overall a pleasant song.