Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Mike at The ‘’In’ Groove:

2. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

He's, uh... he's got solid evidence. At least more so than MoFi does thus far to the contrary. Quite deceiving if true.

ARK, Sean, jicerswine and 3 others like this.
  3. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I just saw this video too. That would be pretty major if true.

robalarcon likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ooh blimey…the boogers! :mad:

DaveyF likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No more so than any other label cutting vinyl these days... and does it really make a difference?

I've only bought a handful of their SACDs since 2015, and they sound good. Vinyl from the same hi-res mastering should be equally good (if not better, on a really dynamite analogue rig) but I don't have the cash to justify a direct comparison between the formats

Anyhow they totally lost me as a vinyl customer with that one-step hooey. $100 box sets for records you can easily get in the bargain bins? I'll pass...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I predict Mike will get attacked big time on this

It’s the end sound results that is important
    The clarity of less steps refines things
    One Step Monk, Mingus, Eagles ST are all just jaw dropping

What MoFi does to “enhance” some One Step records in the mastering is more important to final sound. They have had some issues there

Analog Productions printing analog stamper and the copies in batches of 1,ooo-2,000 versus MoFi seems the better process and they have had hifi releases that beat the One Step version.
    QRP did not go the One Step route. That limited stamper process is sounding pretty good right now. Personally I think it’s more about the MoFi mastering choices.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I have heard some phenomenal records cut from digital (even 16/44), so from a purely objective perspective, it shouldn’t matter. But if true, it does to me (and probably most folks).

Interested to see how this develops…

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

If he gets attacked, then the attacker(s) didn’t pay attention to how even-handed the video is.

ARK, Vel, Mac B and 34 others like this.
  9. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

It’s impossible that they are digital because so many people on here can ‘sense the naturalness’ of analog over the ‘harsh superficial glare’ of digital. So they would have known already and told us.

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Well...this should get interesting.

11. HA!!

12. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Mixed emotions for me.

ASSUMING the allegations are true, it’s upsetting that MoFi would be so deceptive, no different than other reissue labels who use fuzzy language about sourcing. Makes me not want to purchase anything from them again until they become transparent about the source, as a matter of principle.

Also, I feel like this vindicates the “digital is just as great as analog” crowd. These releases for the most part outshine their OG counterparts, and that’s a testament to great mastering skills being the more important factor over just using a tape.

dunkyboy, Vinylhead23, Vel and 42 others like this.
  13. Mark Richardson

Mark Richardson Forum Resident

this thread title should be their new marketing tagline

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

…and also underscores that if you want all analog, you really do have to look for the “all-analog cut from the original analog tapes” language. Anything less is open to interpretation apparently.

ARK, Tim Bucknall, MRM1965 and 16 others like this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Maybe I can get my 99 dollars back on that Abraxas One Step!

16. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Pretty sure you could even get someone to pay you 105 dollars for that.

ARK, Tim Bucknall, 12" 45rpm and 19 others like this.
  17. danielkov86

Is Mike saying EVERY MFSL release since circa 2015 is digital, or just the one-steps?

Yup. Or just shoot right for the original.

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

[​IMG]

19. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

At least this makes their “cool” digital font more relevant.

Vidiot, berndt, OfficerObie59 and 7 others like this.
  20. danielkov86

I wonder how many people are gonna cancel their Thriller orders tomorrow. :agree:

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It makes a difference if people thought they were paying a premium for AAA and were not getting that.

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Funny enough, I just met Mike today at his store in Phoenix. Really nice guy. If there is truth in what he says, we’ve been misled by Mofi for years in their holding back of important information.

My Mofis are awesome. I just wish I had all the info.

23. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

What does this mean for their Miles Davis releases?
    I have On the Corner and it sounds great, but I wonder if I should have gone with first press and saved some money.

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Masters
    Of
    Faking their

25. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Very interesting and looking forward to how this develops. I’ve not been able to justify the cost of a one step given my modest rig. Mixed feelings here because I would be disappointed to learn Mofi has not been forthright with their customers. However I’ve also been totally satisfied with all but one Mofi purchase I’ve made since I’ve been buying their vinyl in the late ‘70’s. I guess for me it’s the final product that should be judged (and in almost all cases Mofi is excellent) but be transparent with me in how it was derived.