I think I'm done with Discogs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CAP, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Fixed.

Again, my question was:

Are there any sites besides Discogs and eBay?

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not that a measurable section of the already small buying public will ever find.

Peter_R likes this.
  3. Sergio Ramshackle

Sergio Ramshackle Active Member

Thanks for some great info guys. I’ve recently come across a substantial private collection that the owner is interested in liquidating. We’ve been chatting about the best way to get rid of it.. and he’s leaning towards a bulk/lot sale. That kinda makes my heart sink a little because I’d rather this stuff go to someone who really wants it. He’s not a music guy (the collection belonged to his father) and wants to get rid of it. He is open to selling it in pieces but doesn’t want to deal with that side personally. You guys have given me some ideas that I can take to him … sooo maybe you’ll see some things here soon. Thanks!

eddiel likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In general not really but there are some good Facebook collector groups catering to the local market as well as groups with people selling worldwide which can be good. However, they are LP focused.

For CDs...there's a couple of groups I follow but activity is really low and there's hardly ever good titles coming up. You can try MusicStack but no idea how good it might be these days.

I do come across some sellers selling decent titles on CD via Facebook marketplace or Canuckaudiomart.com. Worth a shot.

How many decent used CD stores are left in Montreal these days?

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

If you want to piece it out to people who "really want it", it sounds like you will need to buy the whole collection from him yourself.

6. Peter_R

Two: L'echange on Mont-Royal is by far the best. Constant turnover of stock, clean, and fairly priced. I can't recall the last time I left empty-handed.

Beatnick on St. Denis is good, but the turnover is slow.

The other stores focus on vinyl, and the CD sections are an afterthought.

Dave and eddiel like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sometimes you can luck out at shops like that. They don't always look into the value of what they have CD wise and you can score an expensive title for a few dollars. When I go into a shop that has one of those sad looking CD corners I always have a look just in case. :)

8. Peter_R

Unfortunately, the two other shops that sell CDs (the afterthought places) take the opposite approach, and assume any CD is worth money.
    I rarely see discs sold at the crummier stores for less than $10, buy some will go for as high as $40... for a single CD.

The aforementioned L'Echange and Beatnick always price fairly.

Crimson Witch and eddiel like this.
  9. Sergio Ramshackle

Sergio Ramshackle Active Member

....nah....He's got a bunch of Star Wars toys that he's letting a sort of local auction house work on... so...I think we might be able to work something out. The collection is a good size... not huge... but a good size... and, except for the remnants of a labeling system (stickers on the sleeves), it all looks to be in pretty great shape. It's mainly show tune albums from the late 50s and early 60s, but he's got a surprising mix of rock and pop from well into the 80s...not to mention 1000+ 45s dating from around 1955 through the 1980s. He's graciously let me rummage through the stuff and take what I want. Most of the things I wanted were just for sentimental reasons...or replacements for records I had in my collection that I lost in a flood several years back. I don't even own a turntable anymore... but... when I see a Ringo Starr "Photograph" 45 with a picture sleeve... my heart jumps a little.... and now it's framed and on the wall of my hallway. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    mstoelk likes this.
  10. Peter_R

I'm seeing more and more prices that are completely removed from reality.
    Sellers asking three times what the last title sold for. It's becoming more like eBay every day.
    Are they actually interested in selling the stuff, or just showing off?
    Does this technique work?

11. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Sometimes there will be a single copy of something for sale for years, just sitting there at a usually reasonable price. Then it’ll sell and a week or so later, another single copy comes up for sale at 3-4x what that copy a week ago sold for. Doesn’t take a genius to understand what’s happening there…

12. Peter_R

Well, I'm definitely not a genius.
    So, please elaborate.

FWIW, I'm talking multiple copies, and like 2 or 3 are priced exponentially more.
    Yes, they're all in the same condition.

13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

My guess is someone buys the only copy and then lists it as soon as they have it with a jacked up price, because hey, if they have the only copy, they can ask whatever they want. I see it happen pretty often on eBay especially, since you can easily tell that 2 listings are the same copy of a record due to identifying marks or blemishes.

14. Peter_R

On paper, OK, I guess that makes sense.
    But, if it took 3 years for the last one to sell, well, good luck selling it at triple the price. :shrug:

Dave and uzn007 like this.
  15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I think they usually assume that since the bubble just keeps growing, they’ll eventually sell it to someone and they basically did nothing to get that profit.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I’ve had half a mind to message some of these sellers but I really don’t care enough and it doesn’t bother me enough. And I don’t usually try to go out of my way to harass people. But when I watch a record sell for $700 on eBay and then the same record pops up a couple weeks later for $5,300, I just have to laugh. Most of the time, you can tell the flipper has no idea what they’re doing anyway. This example I’m using was a non-torso VU&Nico original mono. Maybe a $600 record typically. But the guy first overpaid for it, or at the very least paid about top dollar for it, then is now trying to sell it for the cost of a used car :unhunh: Whatever dude

Peter_R likes this.
  17. Peter_R

Maybe we ought to thank them for all the money they've saved us. :tiphat:

Seriously though, I am genuinely curious if this has ever worked.

I have seen sellers with he same titles for 3 or 4 years at their asking price. Either I'm the only person interested, or everyone that wants isn't ready to pay what buddy is asking for.

astro70 likes this.
  18. Peter_R

Here's a new one...
    Package arrived.
    2 of my 3 purchases included.
    The box is too small to have fit the third.

I have sent the seller a note.
    Waiting for him to reply.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Would you be talking about these two auctions? :)

VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO 1967, Verve V-5008. Mono Version 3. EXCELLENT VG+/NM | eBay

The Velvet Underground & Nico(3)-Verve V5008•1st Press'67 MONO☆AIRBRUSH TORSO☆EX | eBay

First guy definitely overpaid IMO. But maybe it really is NM vinyl wise. lol

Either that flipper is a doofus and doesn't realise that the torso cover is the expensive version, or he does and is just hoping to hook a "moran who needs to get a brian".

20. R. Totale

Aspirational pricing.

21. R. Totale

It's the same record, down to the little peace sign on the cover, and the guy who "bought" it in May had 162 feedbacks, just like the guy who is "selling" it now.

astro70 and uzn007 like this.
  22. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Those are the ones! Surprisingly, or not… that’s not even the second time I’ve seen VU&N auctions end up like that. It’s very easy to identify individual copies because almost every single one has a different amount of peel :) of course the peace sign helped too.

eddiel likes this.
  23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Yup. I believe about a week after the first auction ended, the second listing got put up. He’s relisted a couple times now I believe. I was really on the hunt there for a couple months and watching VU&N auctions like a hawk. This kind of thing happens a lot more than I thought.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

had to return a discogs purchase because the Cd was NOT as advertised and had some flaws on it to boot. returned it the very nest day and have been waiting now for refund very patiently.

2 things:

1 - how long should i wait until i report the seller?

2 - should the seller reimburse me for the shipping to send it back? (and he doesn't then what?)

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

1 - After 4 days of no seller response, the report seller link appears on the order page. Every time you message the seller, it resets. So if the seller has had your item now and you've messaged them about the refund, wait the 4 days and report the seller for not replying. When you do that, they get a warning from Discogs and their account is put on hold until they respond. Keep in mind, the quality of the response isn't considered and only that they replied.

2 - What they should or shouldn't do isn't the same as what you can get them to do. Under PayPal rules, sellers do not have to pay for return shipping. You can ask, but they likely won't cover it. You can apply for PayPals return shipping refund program though and get reimbursed that way.

How long as he had the item at this point?

uzn007 likes this.