Why Does Good Remote Control Design Elude so Many Companies?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Jul 15, 2022.

1. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I agree with the Khozmo remote. Feels solid but not too heavy, and the buttons are where I want them.
    [​IMG]

2. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Classe CAP-2100 integrated remote is insane. Hefty, fits in the palm of your hand beautifully, fully backlit, perfect layout.

3. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

The best remote I personally encountered was DECADES ago at a hi-fi show here in Southern California - a HAFLER preamp had a remote with a ROTARY DIAL volume control on it. I was trying it out and it was very responsive, no “lag” and a nice “feel” to it - unfortunately for a so-so sonic quality preamp. The late James Bongiorno (“Ampzilla” and such) had a remote for a preamp like this: The Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition (sst.audio) “from $8500”(!)

SOMETHING like this can be done with “rooExtend” plus a Microsoft Surface Dial, raspberry pi, and of course, ROON, none of which I have (not to mention the technical expertise to implement all this).

THIS is what I want in a preamp or integrated amp remote: a nice big rotary volume control dial, on/off and mute buttons, and left/right buttons ( or horizontal “rocker”) for a BALANCE CONTROL.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    bever70 likes this.
  4. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Its all in the thumb action buddy :edthumbs:... seriously holding it now it must be the size of my thumb with the remote nestling in the heel of my hand my thumb reaches comfortably only as far as the up button , i can't get to the off button without moving my hand ...and with the buttons slightly raised its easy to feel between the up and down volume ... and i do use the Dim function often which is a great idea ...

Tone? likes this.
  5. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

My thoughts are that simpler is better with remotes. If I could, Id dump the mute button on this Rogue Sphinx remote as I never use it. For as infrequently as I change sources, I prefer that there is NO input selector on the remote. Yep, Im perfectly happy with volume control and volume control only, in fact thats my preference with remotes. Does such a remote exist, just volume up/down and NOTHING else?

[​IMG]

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anybody have a Denon A/V remote with the extra set of setup functions in the back panel?

QUICK-! Hit the "mute" for a second! :yikes:

[​IMG]

Mr. Bewlay, Tone?, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

My gripe is that when Logitech decides that the software should be upgraded, the user has no choice in the matter. Every time I was forced to do that, I invariably had to go into the computer app to get things working again. That seriously pissed me off. I should be able to update things on my timetable, not theirs.

8. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

The remote for my Music First Audio preamp only has volume control function. Unfortunately it’s a repurposed car alarm remote or something so it has extra buttons that are non functional. At least there is no way to accidentally do something else than change the volume.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

From 1986: B&O master control panel 5500 (with rotary volume and two way communication):

10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Thats actually a really ergonomic remote.
    And intuitive

but dude please don’t take this the wrong way.
    That’s pretty ugly. Lol

I think it’s the font they used.

audio manufacturers really need aesthetic design help.

my benchmark products aesthetically are ugly as well.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

I'm just the user, not the designer, so no offense taken, though I don't think it's ugly at all, matches the rest of my CJ gear... for better or worse :)

[​IMG]

Tim 2, ti-triodes, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  12. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I think the camera is adding a yellowish hue to it. That’s why

Cheers man!

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

I just remembered this one from my Cain 4808 A integrated amp. Impossible to use comfortably.
    [​IMG]

Tim 2, Kyhl, Lamus and 1 other person like this.
  14. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Four buttons too many, but the best remote I've had came with a Simaudio i5 Integrated. Anyone who needs more than that center column of buttons must have ADHD. ;)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Robert

timind likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

It's the champagne anodizing they use, but yea, my phone doesn't really capture it quite right with the lighting and flash :)

Tone? likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

An ultra-geek-friend brought me an Escient music server, way back in the 'aughts. It came with a wireless compyooter keyboard. :wtf:

17. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I too like the marantz. Haven’t tried the sound modes yet. Disappointing that it doesn’t illuminate.
    Still now have an issue with the Cambridge CXN in that it’s remote also uses the same codes for volume & mute!

Still have a defunct Quad66 remote in the attic.
    [​IMG]

jonwoody, Kyhl, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Try the new Esoteric Grandioso remote, buttons on the top and bottom (and i don’t mean the lower part of the top, the actual underside) of the remote. Most ridiculous I have ever used.

Colin M likes this.
  19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

This sits on my coffee table and does the job.
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft Dial. Volume +/- and Pause/Play.

LeeS, jonwoody, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  20. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the same solution. Sits on the arm of my listening chair just forward of where my hand rests. Simple, intuitive and a pleasure to use.

Cheers,
    Robert

21. Audio Gent

Audio Gent The Audio Gent

To this day i prefer the remote that came with my 2009 XBR1 over the modern day Sony remote.

22. Snargfarg

Snargfarg Forum Resident

A bad remote can kill a good piece of equipment. I really like this one but would have exchanged the dimmer button for power. It's aluminum and fits my hand well.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and Ntotrar like this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Doesn't get much simpler then the Rogue

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  24. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

It's good to find someone with some positive experience with this remote. OEM versions are available at a few outlets, usually labelled as universal/learning 6 button bar remotes. I have been looking at getting one for controlling a DIY project as it's one of only a few that isn't hideous or a multi-buttoned affair.

This is the remote control I currently have as well. It's really nice if you don't want anything beside the basics. I thought this one may have OEM equivalents too, but I haven't found any. Maybe Khozmo actually produce it themselves.

okc_craft and timind like this.
  25. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

Remotes are an afterthought. I never understood why manufacturers put an open/ close button on DVD and CD player remotes when there's a button on the player for that purpose. Okay, it opens and closes from the comfort of a chair. You still have to get up and change the disc. So, what's the benefit?.