What is the Yamaha sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vignus, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

I'm currently using a Cambridge Audio CX 60 and I'm looking to upgrade to a better one to drive my NHT 3.

I keep hearing about the Yamaha A-S701 ad the "Yamaha sound".

I never had or heard a Yamaha amp and I wonder how much of an upgrade that would be.

What/how is the Yamaha sound? Can anyone please describe it?

Thank you

Dave112 and T'mershi Duween like this.
  2. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

I think Yamaha was or is known for being uncolored in terms of sound. I have an old cr-440. Nice receiver but doesn't have a lot of bottom end. I'm picking up an a-s 301 for my next purchase. You should be happy with the a-s701. Most Yamahas have a variable loudness control as well. Except for the rs-202. Yamahas are well made

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    pigman, Adam9, Ilusndweller and 3 others like this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

The BJT powered Yamaha amps, as in the case of the 701, are mostly neutral, dynamic, and smooth. Great bass extension. They have a slight tonal saturation but not as much as the MOSFET Yamahas (1200/2200/3200).

4. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I think of Yamaha sound as "Sony sound but done right". :evil::uhhuh:

OK that was kinda harsh.

How about "neutral" and "less is more/better".

I am a huge fan of Yamahas Natural Sound and find it consistent bw models of the same component type, different components and even through the decades.

Final Answer?

Natural and realistic.:agree:

5. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have a Yamaha S501 integrated amp and the Yamaha RS202 receiver.

They are both pretty neutral in sound with good separation and imaging.

However, I think that phrase "Yamaha Sound" is simply an add campaign. I think most amps have a different sound.

6. Snargfarg

Snargfarg Forum Resident

Smooth but slightly forward midrange is what I hear with most Yamaha equipment.

7. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I have a RX 550 receiver and a CA 600 amp. Both sound thin and lifeless to me. Even with the loudness control turned all the way up. I am not a fan of Yamaha gear. Sansui works for me though.

Kjasonl likes this.
  8. Ilusndweller

Yes. :edthumbs:

Lenny99 and Grootna like this.
  9. Ilusndweller

RX-950, their TOTL receiver from 91-92. I think they stopped making stereo receivers (and instead it was all HT receivers) after this for quite some time.

[​IMG]

bug2362, Designsfx, cnolanh and 2 others like this.
  10. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

The RX 750 and RX 950 were the entry receivers to HT for Yamaha. They both had inputs for TV as seen in your picture of the front panel. The 550 did not.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  11. harby

harby Forum Resident

The "sound" will vary across extensively-varied Yamaha product lines.

Kjasonl and Ilusndweller like this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Good point, but they are both still stereo receivers only.

jim249 likes this.
  13. Lenny99

Nice looking.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  14. Lenny99

That's what's cool about stereos and equipment. Besides the specs it's highly personal.

I've only owned 4 amps: 35 years ago I had a Pioneer SX580 a 20w per channel receiver. I can't actually remember the sound except it was very satisfying.

Next was a Sony STRDH 190 I purchased in 4/2018. Then the Yamaha RS202 receiver and finally my present amp the S501 Yamaha intigrated. So, you could say my knowledge is limited.

I do remember the Pioneer seemed to be much more substantial in built quality than anything else I've owned. And it had the coolest look with the wide tunning bar, two VU meters, and an FM signal strength meter.

I think in the 1980s more empathize was put on FM reception. Plus, they were made to power a turntable.

The Sony was an AV receiver. It seemed to be much more up front with the sound presentation.

15. Vignus

How does Yamaha do on tone controls? I see most if not all of them still have them... Are they any good?

danielbravo and Kjasonl like this.
  16. Kjasonl

I had the same Sony and the rs-202. Don't lose the remote with the Sony. :)

17. Ilusndweller

I 100% agree with preferences being highly personal as not everyone hears the same (i.e. interprets the same sound waves in the same way) nor does everyone have the same preferences for what they like in sound.

Pretty cool the lowest model 20W Pioneer SX-580 had power level meters! I have a 680 and it sounds quite nice. Not exactly neutral (which could very possibly be due to its age), but very nice sounding!

Kjasonl likes this.
  18. Kjasonl

They're fine. I think you'll be happy with whichever model you buy.

Nar65co likes this.
  19. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

There are considerable differences among Yamaha product lines. The ones i own don't seem to be voiced "neutral" actually...However, they have a signature that i very much seem to like...
    Higher end A-S2100/A-S2200 etc and above have a forward mid and happen to be very "tubey" sounding (almost like some of the $$$ Class A stuff out there without having to spend all that much)...However, they are definitely way more detailed than a lot of tube amps out there (bit of a unique thing).
    Affordable Yamaha amps like the A-S801 are slightly warmer than neutral, have a meaty mid (less forward than the above mentioned) and slightly rolled off at the top end to be forgiving of crappy recordings. The higher end models and not rolled off like the latter.
    I am planning to get the C5000+M5000 stack....(have no flipping idea what they did with it yet, probably something different)
    My Yamaha prepros have full blown PEQ. So, i can go to town with it and get whatever the hell signature i want....

Older/Vintage Yamaha amps were for V-curve dudes....They've turned a new leaf in the recent past 10 or 15 years.

20. Ilusndweller

Note to self (for the umpteenth time): Need to hear higher end Yammie!:agree:

I have a hunch I will be reminded of the sound of my Kyocera A-710 and 910(which sound identical to me, 100W vs. 150W).

Kjasonl likes this.
  21. Vignus

Please stick to the thread, thank you

Ilusndweller likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Older Yamaha had a bright, clinical sounding top end (sounded much like older Yamaha pianos). Newer Yamaha sounds less forward, and not quite as trebly on top.

Doctor Fine likes this.
  23. Ilusndweller

When you say "older Yamaha" are you talking 1970s? If so, Ive never heard 70s Yamaha. The oldest Ive heard is mid 80s (RX-530 receiver) and to me it does not have a bright/clinical sounding top end. Thanks!

McLover likes this.
  24. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ha it’s true tho

Sony has always been a V curve.
    Whereas Yamaha is flat with maybe a slight emphasis on the low mids?

but yeah I’m a fan of Yamahas natural sound as well.

they make musical instruments as well so they must be knowledgeable on sound.

BluTorch and Ilusndweller like this.
  25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Funny you say that.
    I always found Yamaha pianos and guitars to be quite flat and neutral.
    Rich but not as rich as let’s say a Steinway.

McLover likes this.