Walmart color vinyl

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Tjazz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Humongous Donkey

Humongous Donkey Well-Known Member

FWIW ..... a brief overview of my experience with Walmart color vinyl.

1. Kiss Destroyer Resurrected ... Orange .... awful ..... unbearable surface noise. Tried 3 times to get a good copy ... nope ... sounded like they all came from the same stamper. RETURN
    2. Aerosmith Greatest Hits .. White .... awful .... stylus killing double warp RETURN
    3. Doobie Bros Best of .... Green clear cola ... Excellent ... low surface noise, flat, mastering is good to my ears. KEEPER
    4. REO The Hits ... White and Black Splatter ... bad ... surface noise is terrible Kept but won't see much play
    5. Boston self titled ... blue ... side A awful, side B excellent ... ordered 2 copies, both had identical results, apparently from same defective stamper ... too bad because side B was quiet and was quite good. Side A had grating static every rotation throughout the whole side. RETURN
    6. ZZ Top Eliminator ... yellow ... average ..... not bad and not great .... kept
    7. Bob Seger ... Greatest hits .. Green clear cola ... Excellent .... low surface noise, mastering is good to my ears. KEEPER
    8. Bob Seger Live Bullet ... Red ... Excellent .... low surface noise, mastering is good, great music! . KEEPER
    9. Fleetwood Mac Rumours ... Clear .... STEAMING PILE OF DUNG .... atrocious surface noise and awful master RETURN
    10. Wolfgang Van Halen Mammoth .... Red .... great .... acceptable surface noise .. KEEPER
    11. RUSH Icon ... Red .... good ... better than I expected. Acceptable surface noise, not top level but a good listen. KEEPER

The best as far as surface noise were the cola green vinyl. As quiet as some of my best vinyl (including MoFi). If all new vinyl was made using this recipe, I'd buy more color vinyl. However, from my experience buying new vinyl and especially color vinyl is a crap shoot. Warp is a whole other detriment.

Does anyone have a report on the surface noise of the new Van Halen Box. It could be a very good thing that these are not color vinyl.

CryptoSurfer, hi_watt, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  2. Humongous Donkey

Humongous Donkey Well-Known Member

Also bought the clear Journey Escape vinyl. Acceptable surface noise it's better than average and a keeper.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

My clear Rumors (I think it’s an Optimal pressing) sounds great. All my color vinyl FM from Walmart sounds great. I bought them about 3 years ago.

Davidmk5 and MikeInFla like this.
  4. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I’ve waited a few months for this to come back in stock and it finally did, if anyone else is interested:

Robot or human?

[​IMG]

5. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Walmart's orange and blue Californication got Kobe'd

[​IMG]

6. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Interesting!

7. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

I hope the numbers 8 and 24 are somehow a part of this LP set!

8. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

I thought I ordered John Coltrane's A Love Supreme on blue vinyl the other day but looks like somehow I did not. I thought I created an account on their miserable website, but looks like somehow I did not. I thought I had given them my credit card numbers, but looks like somehow I did not. I thought I got an email acknowledging my purchase of said album, but looks like somehow I did not.

So either I have been on some other world the past week or so, or their miserable piece of shiet website is just as bad as I thought it was.

Like, for instance (note this is the description for the black vinyl version of A Love Supreme):

About this item
    Product details

Smooth out rough edges using this Nicholson File 21862N. This file is 8" long and fits well in the palm of the hand for easy maneuverability during use. The flat file can be used on metal parts to create a more appealing surface or reduce slag from welded parts. This file is used by machinists and those who build machines to create even surfaces to work with. It's lightweight and easy to maintain as well. The metal supply is an ideal addition to the tool collection and can be stored in a toolbox or drawer until needed.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Remaster) - Vinyl:

• Item type: file 8" flat Bastardcdd
    • Brand: Nicholson
    • Manufacturer number: 21862N
    • Used by machinists, machinery builders, ship and engine builders and repairmen
    • Rectangular in cross-section and taper slightly towards point
    • 8" file is lightweight and easy to use
    We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it.
    Specifications
    Features
    ["A Love Supreme Vinyl","John Coltrane Vinyl Record"]

Music Genre
    Jazz

Format
    CD

Performer
    John Coltrane

Manufacturer Part Number
    GR155

Record Label
    Impulse Records

Brand
    John Coltrane

Physical Media Format
    LP

Track Listing
    Love Supreme Pt. 1: Acknowledgement,Love Supreme Pt. 2: Resolution,Love Supreme Pt. 3: Pursuance/Pt. 4: Psalm

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
    5.50 x 0.50 x 7.44 Inches

Release Date
    02/03/2003

F Walmart, I am done screwing around with these halfwits.

jb

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  9. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store) Thread Starter

Thanks. Was it green vinyl last time?

10. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I believe so

Tjazz likes this.
  11. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Anyone have a copy in hand yet and can share deadwax, or give an opinion on sound?

12. LedHetland

LedHetland Forum Resident

I would like to know about the matrices as well. Somebody on the Discogs page mentions that it was difficult to see but it may have had the European matrices (not Chris Bellman) and another said they couldn’t tell the difference between it and the CB.

13. NewKidInTown

Thanks for sharing. May be worth springing for! I'm so tempted!

LedHetland likes this.
  14. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

A new comment today said that it's HL in the deadwax not CB.

I have a copy but I'm waiting on a walmart replacement to see if they actually have orange + blue ones

LedHetland and hi_watt like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How does this sound?

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Why is it green?

Tjazz and GentleSenator like this.
  17. zackswax

zackswax Well-Known Member

Anyone have any info on the By The Way pressing? Deadwax info?

NewKidInTown likes this.
  18. NewKidInTown

I'm all ears too...actually for all 3 of the RHCP releases

19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I stopped at Walmart this morning after a workout. Saw all of the Chili Peppers releases--indeed the copies of "Californication" are purple/yellow. I mean the website clearly had pre-orders for Blue/Orange, it's laughable!

20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I bought 4 LPs at Target last week, so I didn't pull a trigger today.

Sometimes I'm glad at my self-control in places that have vinyl records. I seriously wanted like 8 LPs when I stopped in *Captain Kirk voice* but.....I.....managed to......not......buy anything....but....a few....groceries :yikes::kilroy::help:

mrjinks, Tjazz, TxRangersFan and 2 others like this.
  21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

If the color thing is your thing (and I kind of like them when they relate to the album artwork), the Dio "Holy Diver" release is nice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Aggie88

Aggie88 New Member

Is the Target exclusive box mastered by Chris Bellman, too?

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Ugh, kinda disappointed in that. The orange and blue would of been a better match. I am not a basketball fan.

davers likes this.
  24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Which are you referring to? It looks like my response was regarding a Van Hagar release.

25. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Little late to respond but also for anyone else...I'm not sure what the discogs reviews were listening to but to me it was not good. It's been a few months but if I recall, one of the discs was ok and the other sounded very flat, very much CD-ish with zero dynamics. Very disappointing.

hype and marcb like this.