"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The wigs were terrible, but that's so far down the list of things that this show screwed up this year that I didn't bother mentioning it. The Duffers bet heavily on the weaknesses of their audience. The bet seems to mostly have paid off.

Hyacinth House likes this.
  2. mace

mace Forum Resident

You just don’t grasp the whole concept do you?

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

You'll have to be more specific about what exactly you think I don't grasp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That scene made the show if you ask me. It was like a cheesy '80s metal album cover came to life, me and the little lady were laughing our asses off.

From the same place they powered their power drills from...

tommy-thewho, Chris DeVoe and ODIrony like this.
  5. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, Kim Olesen and ubiknik like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I figured if they could run a rope made from a bunch of sheets through the portal, they could run a decent size extension cord through it as well.

jpelg, Tim S, BluesOvertookMe and 3 others like this.
  7. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

My kids got me to start watching it, hearing them talk about Kate Bush and Metallica got me smiling. Reminds me of ET somewhat, some jarring plot holes, but hey it's a kids' show.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I would have to rewatch it but I thought I saw Dustin turn off a tape. Maybe it was the amp.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Demobats only go for live music. If there was any kind of tape playing they would just ignore it, and post some reference on the (Upside Down) internet about Milli Vanilli (or Jethro Tull).
    At the start of the scene Dustin plugs in the extension cord and cranks up the Fender Super Six amp. At the end of the scene he's giving Eddie time checks "T minus 30 seconds," 20, 10, 5, and then 1. Eddie strums the final chord and next we see them jumping down off the trailer roof onto a pickup truck roof, no guitar being put down, no amp turning off, not a tape deck in sight.

ODIrony and cwitt1980 like this.
  11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I thought Season 4 was awesome, I pretty much loved every minute of it. All the characters came into their own* and the plot was compelling. Much better than 2 or 3 in my opinion.

* Especially my man Murray! He stole every scene he was in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  12. MikaelaArsenault

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No teeanage boy had Will's haircut in 1986. Completely ruins the whole show! ZERO stars!!!!!!

drumzNspace likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Plots aside the team responsible for the surround sound on this series does great work.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Damn, you beat me to it! The headline says it all...

‘Stranger Things’ Star Noah Schnapp on Doja Cat, Season 5, and Will’s Sexuality: ‘He Is Gay and He Does Love Mike’ (EXCLUSIVE)

[​IMG]

I think it is a spectacular mix... though to me, it's too dynamic and the low-level dialogue is very low, and the explosive musical and sound effects peaks are very loud. I think it's too loud for an average living room. It's certainly too loud for me. I don't have this problem with most TV shows, so I think it's just a bad creative choice on the part of the showrunners. (And it's a common problem with a lot of shows and films these days.)

And ya know, you'd think a gay kid in 1985 would be a little hipper, more stylish, and more image conscious. Although... a nerd is a nerd is a nerd.

Way back in Season 1, I thought, "hey! Is this kid supposed to be gay?" So you wonder if this was always intended by design, or if it's just something that developed over time. Perhaps the Duffer Brothers will reveal more once the show wraps next year.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  18. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

On Will's wardrobe, let's recall that not all gay kids have a keen fashion sense, and back in those days, staying in the closet was almost understood as a survival skill.

As to Season 1, let's recall that when Joyce first goes to Hopper about Will's disappearance, she notes that kids make fun of him and that his father called him gay (Hopper asks, "Is he?" to Joyce's reply that what he is, is missing). And of course, there was the Season 2, "It's not my fault you don't like girls" line with Will's heart-breaking split-second reaction.

19. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

If it is Indiana in the late 80s, the guys would need to all have bad, barely-there, starter-pack mustaches.

Tim S and Old Fart At Play like this.
  20. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yes, ultimately these types of shows are geared toward younger people, not crusty old boomers. I enjoy watching it with my own kids; we find it suspenseful and entertaining.

Martinn, ODIrony and noname74 like this.
  21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

For me, I find the jarring sounds are appropriately jarring (spectacular test of a sub-or subs for the fortunate) as I'm not having to play with the volume to hear the dialogue.
    I could always set "Dynamic Range Control" but I hate when I forget that it's left on when I'm playing a record, wondering why it sounds wrong---getting senile!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, the clues are there, but I suspect they're accidental. It'll be up to the Duffers to reveal more, maybe after the final season comes out in a year or so.

Note that the Duffers didn't reveal the info on Will's sexuality -- it came from the actor himself.

ODIrony likes this.
  23. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Why does Netflix release the whole story at once? There was so much chatter about the series and now (at least in my neck of the woods) there is virtually no talk at all about it. Why not release a couple of hours every couple of weeks.. create a bigger buzz. People would be talking about the show for the entire summer... now..crickets. I realize I don't have to watch it all but with social media chatter about it you almost have to watch it all at once..

Big Pasi likes this.
  24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The recent resurgence in the popularity of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill due to Netflix's Stranger Things has apparently spread to Rome Italy's new Netflix Headquarters.
    (The Upside Down World)

[​IMG]

I wonder if The Cramps' I Was a Teenage Werewolf would ever get the same treatment. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I found it more than obvious during S4 that Will is in love with Mike. The hints were so plentiful, that there isn't much of a reveal necessary, imo.

zobalob likes this.